Aren’t Guns a Right? | Teen Ink

Aren’t Guns a Right? MAG

By datsbergs BRONZE, Bernard, Iowa
datsbergs BRONZE, Bernard, Iowa

Dear President Obama:
My name is Jacob, and I am a senior from a small town in Iowa. In my American Government class we are studying executive roles, powers, and administration, and so I decided to write you about an issue that has become a hot topic. In reaction to recent events, your administration has created a potential law to prohibit the purchase of firearms in the hopes of preventing more of these devastating tragedies from happening.

With this proposed law, the purchase of firearms would be limited to guns that cannot hold more than ten rounds of ammunition. I understand your concern as chief executive, but honestly, if someone needs a gun with more than ten rounds, they should just work on their accuracy. For this reason, I understand why the restrictions on magazine size could take place; with fewer shots per magazine, the more time it takes to reload and the more opportunity law enforcement has to capture the gunman.

Although I do not think everyone should have to suffer from these possible firearm restrictions, I do believe that you are doing your job as chief executive. In my opinion, individuals who are carefully screened and found to have a full citizenship, no criminal record, and are physically and mentally capable of responsibly handling a firearm, should not have to suffer from these possible gun restrictions.

Firearms have always been associated with crime, murder and violence; however, I believe these are false stereotypes, because the gun itself never kills anything; the person using the gun does.

I believe that by enacting a gun control law, you are using your executive powers to protect all of us, which I greatly support and believe is important. I understand you are trying to protect us by trying to keep weapons out of the hands of potentially dangerous individuals, which I too support. But I disagree with the possibility of good, honorable, and loyal citizens of the United States not being able to purchase certain firearms just because others have used guns in negative ways.

My reasoning comes from the Second Amendment of the Constitution, which protects the rights of the people to keep and bear arms. Although I do not agree with the extent your executive powers can influence this gun law, I do support your role in protecting citizens. I also recognize that your decision may be affected by your ­administration's support or disapproval of this issue.

Being the most important person in the United States, you have many problems to assess and resolve, which could not be done without the help of your advising administration. Although you have a major say on important issues such as gun control, I know that your cabinet is also pushing to have this law passed. In my opinion, the Department of Justice is probably the most influential branch regarding gun control. They need to do more work since all the possible solutions haven't been explored.

There has to be another solution to this problem, and I hope you and your administration find a suitable way to resolve it. Even if other means of stopping this terrorism are failures, I could understand that my country has at least tried, and I would be willing to sacrifice my Constitutional rights to help stop future gun control issues from occurring.

Hopefully, soon, America will see a time of peace from both domestic and foreign terrorism. I hope this will be reached without our citizens being restricted from purchasing guns. Good citizens should have the right to buy whatever kind of gun to use for pleasure, defense, or hunting. I hope these increasingly devastating incidents of domestic terrorism diminish without the need for your gun control law.

Why should good citizens have to suffer when criminals will always find a way to get their hands on illegal weapons anyway? In my opinion, guns are like any other tool, objects designed to do specific kinds of work. It is not the gun that kills, but the operator who chooses to kill with the gun.

I appreciate your time spent reading this letter and hope you take into consideration the full effects of your possible gun control ban. Thank you for your time and public service, Mr. President.

In this article, I state my opinion on the hot topic of gun violence and control. I also elaborate on the potential of a gun ban by the Obama administration and the effects this proposed law could have on the American people.

on Dec. 27 2017 at 2:21 pm
22rbhattacharyya GOLD, State College, Pennsylvania

Among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken -Orson Scott Card

Totally agree, guns are a tool and restricting guns won't help anything, it will just grow the black market. If we respect life and show the meaning of life (like with hunting and fishing), we will realize why in fact guns should be protected and respected rather than banned and scared of.

nycjazz said...
on May. 5 2015 at 12:49 am
Guns are a tool? A tool to kill, yes. With all due respect to the great document that is the Constitution, it is an antiquated work. The second amendment was written in a time when America was mostly wilderness, and when the pioneering colonists had to defend themselves from the dangers of the British and of mother nature. Today, we are no longer at war on home soil, and Americans have occupied the continent from east coast to west. The same leniency towards the ownership of guns that was permissible during the time of our forefathers is no longer tolerable, because firearms no longer serve a useful purpose. Self-defence should be assured by the police force, a safer way to enforce law and order than through private gun ownership. Most democracies around the world change their constitutions after some time, to adapt to changing concerns. Why does the United States cling to some of the most absurd elements of theirs? Guns are no longer tools. They have been stripped of their utility. Gun ownership should be admissible, but restricted. Only then can we keep Americans safe.

23jonny23 said...
on Nov. 18 2013 at 12:13 pm
I completely agree with you. There were some points that I wished you could have gotten at in your article to make it stronger, like how criminals will find a way to get any sort of weapon gun or not. The government can't keep guns away from bad people, that's just that. Your article was very well said, and hope it gets across to the president. Eventhoigh now the gun ban was rejected you could say, he still wants it. We can't let that happen.

on May. 31 2013 at 12:22 pm
SoftballGirl16, Easley, South Carolina

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

I completly agree with your article. Growing up with a police officer as a dad has given me a strong opinion on this topic. You are one hundred percent right when you say guns don't kill people kill people. I just wish more people could understand that.