This Is Not a Democracy | Teen Ink

This Is Not a Democracy

By AlexAvery PLATINUM, Tecumseh, Other
AlexAvery PLATINUM, Tecumseh, Other

"Life is but a dream that shall be written by the dreamers"

What does democracy mean to you? Most would say it means the right to equality and to be heard when we have something to say. But when our freedom is challenged, and our voices silenced, what is our duty as Canadian citizens—as a people—to keep our rights and our freedom? Anyone will tell you what they think they should do, but few will step up to the plate and take a stand for what they believe.

On September 11th, 2012, a bill was passed that questions our teacher’s current rights and silences their opinions. The bill is called Bill 115, the Putting the Students First Act. Before the bill was passed, the teachers did not agree to any of the terms in the bill. The bill was passed regardless of the teachers disagreements with the terms. In fact, the bill suspends the collective bargaining rights of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. For this reason we must defend our rights as Canadian citizens and take back what is rightfully ours.

A good majority of the Ontario population are unaware of the effects and costs of Bill 115. Many people believe teachers are overpaid anyhow, and that this bill is a blessing. If that’s the case, then here are some facts about Bill 115: the bill strips teachers of their right to collectively bargain, meaning the government has the power to impose wage restraints, force contract provisions, suspends teachers from negotiating contracts at all, prevent legal challenges to the bill, and in the future can harm other unionized employees and democratic principles. In general, the bill gives the government a rather daunting power over unions in all fields of employment.

The basic conditions the bill imposes include pay cuts. 60% of teachers, mostly ones with higher seniority, will only receive pay cuts, while 40% of teachers, the younger half, will not receive 50% of their scheduled increases that come with experience and additional qualifications. Teachers will now lose 50% of their yearly sick days, and will no longer be able to “cash in” their saved sick days when they retire, or save unused sick days at all. When a teacher retires, they will no longer have a retirement gratuity plan. This plan discouraged the use of sick days and reduced expenditure on supply teachers. These are only the most prominent benefits teachers will lose.

The most terrifying part of Bill 115 is that teachers are unable to fight for their rights. Striking and lockouts are restricted and serious punishment can be administered to anyone who even says the words “strike” or “lockout”. And if teachers cannot negotiate their contract, then what choice has that really left them?

The teachers are doing the only thing they can, which is to take away the extra-curricular activities they run on non-school hours. Teachers have also stopped lunch and recess supervision, as well as on-calls. You may have seen the security guards at your schools at lunch or recess, in place of the teachers. And more substitutes? Another cause of Bill 115, since teachers no longer do on-calls, the board is actually spending more money on substitutes.

This proves that Bill 115 does not put the students first. Students have also taken their part in repealing Bill 115. On Wednesday, October 3rd, students all across the Windsor-Essex county region walked out of their public high schools in protest. More than 2,000 students signed up to a page on Facebook, stating they don’t like the way their teachers are being treated.

So has this bill stated anything about what we know as a democracy? As far as the provincial government have seen it, they clearly have not noticed the toll the bill has already taken on everyday school life. It has been proven that extra-curricular activities are an essential part of a student’s life. It builds on teamwork and responsibility skills, as well as giving the kids something else to look forward to at school. What will this bill say for every student planning on going to university or college on a sports scholarship? If sports are canceled, how will such awards be obtained? The same goes for students involved in the Arts, such as music and acting.

Here’s the bottom line: Bill 115 is not democratic. We must take action in order to repeal the bill and give our teachers a fair contract. Teachers build up our kids for their future, their life outside of school and their parent’s home. Without these basic skills and knowledge, our future may not exist. We must support the teachers. If they cannot fight, we will.

So what is the worst possible thing that could come from Bill 115? Well, for starters Canada’s democratic system and our right to vote on what we believe in may be lost. We cannot let the government decide every choice for us. That is the point of a democracy, is it not?—the right to have a choice.

Collective bargaining is a right that should never have even been thought of being taken away. Taking away the right to negotiate is taking away the right to choice. If that’s not convincing enough, think of it this way: first, the teachers will lose their right to collective bargain. No big deal, well actually it is. You could be next. Anyone involved in a union could possibly be victimized by this bill. Don’t let it get that far. Don’t stand by; stand up for what you believe in.

In the words of our first great leader, “If I had influence over the minds of the people of Canada, any power over their intellect, I would leave them this legacy: ‘Whatever you do, adhere to the Union. We are a great country, and shall become one of the greatest in the universe if we preserve it; we shall sink into insignificance and adversity if we suffer it to be broken.” – Sir John A. Macdonald.

I wrote this piece for a contest on Bill 115. My dad's a teacher and this topic is very personal for me. I hope my opinion is heard :)