Freedom and Responsibility | Teen Ink

Freedom and Responsibility

August 11, 2011
By RyssaAlarcon SILVER, Saskatoon, Other
RyssaAlarcon SILVER, Saskatoon, Other
7 articles 7 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'd rather have an enemy who tells me that she/he hates me than to keep a friend whose mission is to put me down secretly."


What do you want to be when you grow up? A teacher, a doctor, a lawyer, or a priest? Do you know that in North Korea and some other countries, this question is not applicable? The word choice or choose has no use at all.

Not all countries enjoy the freedom we have here in Canada. In some countries like North Korea, reaching your dreams is not something to think about. Your job is not for you to decide since you can only be in one of these classes: the workers, peasants, or the intellectuals. You also may not state your opinions freely and criticize the government. If you do, you will be held in custody. How hard do you think living in a country like this?

We are very fortunate to live in a country where we are allowed to make our own choices and decisions, but we are not taking responsibility for our actions. We are mistreating the freedom that we have and even just the simplest law that our parents, schools, government, and church have enforced for us to obey are being violated.

We are given the privilege to express what we feel, but it seems that we just say anything we want, without thinking if the words we say are considerate and necessary. We always disregard the fact that being allowed to state our opinions freely is also an obligation. Sometimes, even adult themselves cannot control the words they use.

Sooner or later, our freedom will be taken away from us. We go beyond limitations and forget that we have responsibilities. We are given free will by God to control our future, but why do we keep on abusing this concession we have? Whenever we are given the freedom to speak what is in our mind, disrespectful and inappropriate words are what we hear.

We are given the freedom of press, to publicize what we know, but we exaggerate and publish inappropriate subjects. We feel bad if we can’t speak freely, but we don’t put this privilege to proper use.

In United Arab Emirates, where I used to live and study, I have learned that press needs to have their news approved by the Ministry of Information before it can be published. In some countries, this is not applicable, but look at the newspapers, aside from the important news; some pages are filled with inappropriate pictures. I don’t think that freedom here is being used responsibly.

We are also given the freedom of religion so we can choose what to believe in, but we forget about seeking for the truth. We should be very thankful and value the freedom that we have, since not all of us receive the same amount of privileges.

Freedom means responsibility. We may choose to live the life as we wish, but we must take responsibility it entails. There is a price for every freedom and there is always something to be given up for liberty. We are free to do whatever we want, but we must be ready, to face the consequences of our actions.

Remembering what Arnold Tonybee’s quote was, “As human beings, we are endowed with the freedom of choice, and we cannot shuffle off our responsibility upon the shoulders of God or nature. We must shoulder it ourselves. It is our responsibility.”