The Death Penalty | Teen Ink

The Death Penalty

By Honeybunn GOLD, Chesterfield, South Carolina
Honeybunn GOLD, Chesterfield, South Carolina

*look inside my quote book*

Death Penalty

Since the beginning of mankind, humans have used the death penalty as the punishment to a crime a person committed. Really though, is this the proper way to handle this situation? I mean what if we lived in a world with a dictator like the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland? Remember when she didn’t get her way, she yelled “Off with their heads!” Meaning she gave the death penalty to everyone who did not agree with her. Now, would you like the idea of the death penalty if you were in Wonderland? A next problem with death penalty is that a real criminal will not be scared of death. They are friends with death. In fact that is what they want you to do. They want you to end all of the voices in their heads screaming of their guilt. In other words, what is a punishment, if it is something that the criminal wants? Instead of using death as a punishment, I think the government should develop a more “scarier” technique. During all of history, what has the death penalty solve? It sure has not ended all of crimes. I personally agree with the ideas that the Europeans have. An example would be that if you steal a loaf of bread, they chopped off your hand. I mean for the rest of your life, you are reminded that you had stolen a piece of bread. Now that is torture and will teach the other person and his peers not to steal anything. In other words, I think that there are different solutions the government should use instead of the death penalty. What if it was your love one?

Honeybunn GOLD said...

*look inside my quote book*

Thank you! :)

((also, i agree with you. what i do not get is how they say that torture is not "humane" but death is?))

on Jun. 20 2010 at 12:11 am
the_sky_is_blue GOLD, Reno, Nevada

"Become the change you want to see"-Mahatma Gandhi

It would be amazing if that was allowed!  However, in our "policially correct" culture, it would not be "humane" and they would never let it happen.  Good write!