The day That Stood Still | Teen Ink

The day That Stood Still

June 17, 2009
By Brian Woolley BRONZE, North Bend, Washington
Brian Woolley BRONZE, North Bend, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

L.A. 5
1/16/09
Flooded



I listen to the news man talking about there being a possible flood by my house. After the 11 at 11 I fell into the deep trance called sleep. My dad quickly wakes me. “Ahh what’s up” I sleepily asked. “We have no time” he whispered back. At first I thought that someone broke into our house, but as I walked to the stairs I heard a low rumble like the sound you hear when are by the ocean. What seemed like the Gulf of Mexico was in my very own house. At this time I knew the next couple of days were going to be a difficult situation.



The next morning I awoke to the roaring water of the water raging over the falls. I decided to check out the downstairs. I was shocked to see the downstairs. The violet paint was torn form the walls. The finish was thrown from the hardwood floor. I looked at the murky water and saw some of my most precious valuables drenched through. The ones I cared most about is my dead grandma’s mariner hat that was given to me by her before she died of breast cancer. Also, my laptop that I got for Christmas was in the water too.


Later in the day my parents decided for us to stay at my cousin’s house in Woodinville. I thought he was crazy. Trying to dive in standing water up to five feet? I pushed for us to stay, but I couldn’t convince them to stay. So, we headed off to Woodinville. The roads there were awful. At one point I felt the car float in the water. Luckily a slight current moved us to shallower water which allowed us get traction and move. That was the only real problem, besides road closers. We safely arrived after a 3 hour drive.


When we heard it was safe to come back we ventured back through rough conditions to the house. I was shocked to see what seemed like a whole new world. The streets were filled with rumble and waste. The houses had and obvious water mark to show how high the water got. Cars were flipped over. My house had up to 4 feet of water in it. My favorite couch was water logged. Everything was ruined. My mom started crying and my dad couldn’t look.


Out of disasters, comes heroes. I looked outside and saw a group of men, average Joes, answering the call of duty, helping others. They walked up to us and asked if we needed help. What could we say? Of course we did. After a long 5 hours the house started to look much better. I left the house to get some alone time. I walked to the river and started thinking. How could have we avoided it. I guess we couldn’t have, no one could. Scene you can’t avoid these incidents I guess the only thing you can do is get back up. Besides, isn’t that how you judge someone, doesn’t matter how hard you fall, it is how you get back up. I just wish that I could have helped someone. Filled one sandbag or save something of theirs. I now realize that in a difficult situation that the only ting you can do is to push forward and get to the light of the tunnel.

The author's comments:
This is a ture story that affected many people that live in snoqualmie Vally. There lives will be forever changed.