What The United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What The United States Flag Stands For

By RACECAR2 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
RACECAR2 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

A white picket fence surrounds a big house, with a lavish car in the garage, and a blissful family living inside dressed in nice clothes. This is the American Dream: a symbol of great opportunity and freedom for all, the United States flag as the cover page. 

When an American soldier dies, they are buried with honor and respect. A carefully draped flag covers their casket. Other soldiers take time and fold the flag in a very specific way, each fold having meaning. This United States flag then gets passed down to the family of the soldier, serving as a memory for their loved one who died for the meaning of our flag.

I believe people make up what this country is and the flag shows that. Fifty stars are included in the flag: one for each state, no one forgotten. 

Every time I look at the flag, I know I can go out and make a difference in the world. 

Does the United States flag stand for opportunity, freedom, or honor? Maybe the people, respect, or a loving memory? The truth is, it stands for all of this and more, with Liberty and Justice for All.

The American Flag is such a powerful symbol with layers of meaning and this inspired me to write about it.