Who is the most influential figure of the 21st Century and Why? | Teen Ink

Who is the most influential figure of the 21st Century and Why?

August 30, 2021
By Zainab_Awais SILVER, Lahore, Other
Zainab_Awais SILVER, Lahore, Other
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

        In my opinion, the most influential figure of the 21st century is Bernie Sanders.  Bernie Sanders is a US Senator, politician, and activist. Furthermore, he has been a US representative for the state’s at-large congressional district from 1991 to 2007. He represented the state of Vermont and is the longest-serving independent in the history of congress. Sanders throughout his 35-year political career conveys the facade of a rebel with a cause. As a Senator Bernie Sanders has played an active role in drafting legislation to combat the economic, social, health, and environmental crises facing the United States. Some legislations that Sanders has introduced include the Medicare for all act, Bill to make public colleges free, and the tax on extreme wealth, thus making him the most influential figure of the 21st century in my opinion. 

    Bernie introduced the Medicare for all act because according to the Guardian he said that “It is outrageous that more than 50 years after medicare was personated, seniors still don’t receive a basic hearing, vision and dental converge. Bernie Sanders introduced the Medicare for all act on April 4th, 2019. Sanders established a national health insurance program to provide comprehensive protection against the costs of healthcare and health-related services by the standards specified in or established 11 under this Act as was mentioned in bill 1129. This act also states that any individual entitled to benefits under this act may obtain health services from any institution, agency, or individual qualified to participate under this Act. Furthermore, Sanders also said that we must expand Medicare benefits and lower the age of Medicare eligibility. Furthermore, the 1129 bill mentioned that “No person shall be discriminated the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability or gender including gender stereotyping, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, and other related medical conditions be excluded from participation and be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination by any participating provider as defined in section 301, or any entity conducting, administering or funding health program or activity, including contracts of insurance, according to this Act.” To conclude the Congress paid for the entire cost of the necessities to Medicare by allowing the program to negotiate the cost of perception drugs. 


On 21 April 2021, Bernie Sanders introduced legislation that would make community tuition-free for students whose families earn a combined salary that is less than $125,000 a year. Furthermore, the legislation also includes support for disabled students. Additionally, Sanders said that the bill would be paid for by a tax on some Wall Street stock market traders. Additionally, Sanders said that “In the 21st century, a free public education system that goes from kindergarten through high school is no longer good enough. The time is long overdue to make public colleges and universities tuition free and debt-free for working families. Moreover, it is estimated this bill would raise $2.4 trillion over its first 10 years. 

      On 7 August 2020, Bernie Sanders introduced legislation called the Make Billionaires to pay act. Under this act, the wealth of 467 billionaires would get targeted.  Additionally called the Make Billionaires Pay Act. Under this legislation the wealth of 467 of the wealthiest billionaires in the country. This legislation 60% tax on wealth gains of billionaires will be imposed through the end of 2020.  Sanders said “the tax hike was meant to help people who are struggling financially during the s pandemic. “The legislation I am introducing today will tax the obscene wealth gains billionaires have made during this extraordinary crisis to guarantee healthcare as a right to all for an entire year. At a time of enormous economic pain and suffering, we have a fundamental choice to make. Furthermore, Sanders said we can continue to allow the very rich to get much richer while everyone gets poorer and poorer. Or we can tax the winnings of billionaires made during the pandemic to improve the health and well-being of tens of millions of Americans.” Moreover, it would also allow the US Treasury Department to establish rules and methods for the coronavirus pandemic. Additionally, Sanders said the legislation will tax the obscene wealth gains billionaires have made during this extraordinary crisis to guarantee healthcare as a right to all for an entire year. Moreover, Sanders said that we can continue to allow the very rich to get much richer while everyone else gets poorer and poorer. Either that or we can tax the winnings of a handful of billionaires made during the pandemic to improve the health and well-being of tens of millions of Americans.” Moreover, it would also impel the US Treasury Department to establish rules and methods for determining the value of the billionaire's assets and use that information to calculate the tax. Moreover, Sanders said the tax would cost $400bn over the course of a year. 


  I believe Bernie Sanders is the most influential figure of the 21st century by the points aforementioned. Increasing the Medicare act for all, making community colleges, and taxing billionaires to improve the health of the citizens of the United States prove that he is selfless and works solely for his people, therefore making him the most influential figure of the 21st Century. 


Citation:


Big Pharma doesn’t want us to expand Medicare. We have to fight them. theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/may/03/big-pharma-doesnt-want-us-to-expand-medicare-we-have-to-fight-them Accesed 7/28/2021


James Crump. “Bernie Sanders introduces bill to make college free by taxing wall street”independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/bernie-sanders-free-college-wall-street-b1835165.html Accesed 7/28/2021


Graig Graziosi. “Bernie Sanders introduces bill to tax 60% of millionaires earning during pandemic to pay medical costs” independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/bernie-sanders-billionaire-tax-coronavirus-medicare-a9660681.html Accessed 7/29/2021


“S.1129-Medicare for All Act of 2019” congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/1129/text Accessed 7/29/2021


“Bernie Sanders” theguardian.com/profile/berniesanders Accessed 7/29/2021


“Bernie Sanders” en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Sanders Accessed 7/29/2021

 

 

 

 

 


 


The author's comments:

This article highlights the work of Senator Bernie Sanders. Furthermore, it also highlights some of his legislations; the Medicare for all act, Bill to make public colleges free, and the tax on extreme wealth, therefore making him the most influential figure of the 21st century in my opinion.