Social Distancing | Teen Ink

Social Distancing

By harshil BRONZE, Gurugram, Other
harshil BRONZE, Gurugram, Other

The outbreak of coronavirus was first reported from Wuhan, China, on 31 December 2019.  Soon it spread all over the globe and infected thousands of people. Many people succumbed to it, and soon it was declared a global pandemic. It came as a shock to all humanity and left the whole world confused. Myths and false information were spreading around. COVID-19 is a disease caused by the coronavirus from the droplets of an infected person's sneeze, cough, or breath. Coronavirus enters our respiratory passage and causes inflammation of the lungs. Inflammation of our lungs makes it difficult for us to breathe, which leads to pneumonia (infection in our lungs). The effects of inflammation can be mild or deadly. There is no remedy or cure for the coronavirus. The only way to protect ourselves is to maintain distance from those infected. In other words, practice social distancing.

Social distancing refers to distancing oneself from others, limiting trips outside, etc. According to World Health Organization, masks and social distancing are mandatory to prevent covid surge. Vaccines against the coronavirus are developing, but most of them haven't proved efficient against the virus. Many people have contracted the virus after being vaccinated. Thus, the only way left to minimize the transmission of the virus is social distancing. Restricting our contact with others is the most reliable way to prevent incurring the virus. 

Social distancing might seem like an easy task for introverts. Pandemic allows introverts to live in solitude, something they all desire. On the other hand, the pandemic is having adverse effects on the mental health of extroverts. According to the American Psychological Association, social distancing and being isolated from friends and family can have the same health impacts as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. The adverse effects of isolation include stress, depression which are the root cause of suicide. Therefore, it is essential to be socially connected with our loved ones. Socially connected doesn't only mean physical touch; it also refers to being virtually connected. To practice social distancing, all the schools and offices were happening online.

Human beings are social creatures; we cannot survive without social contact. Since the onset of the pandemic, more and more people have started relying on technology to stay virtually connected with their loved ones. Technology has played a crucial role in this pandemic. Socialization serves as a remedy to stress. Social people tend to have better mental and emotional health than lonely people. Many of us depend on social media to stay connected with friends and family during the pandemic. Social media platforms such as Instagram and Facebook allow us to communicate with our dear ones through text and calls. People are organizing virtual dinners and parties to have dinner dates with their fellows. Another way of being socially connected is to have movie nights over digital platforms. Virtual movie night is a great way to hang out with your comrades during this pandemic. Joining a virtual yoga group is an excellent way to stay socially connected as well as physically fit.