Nobody's Perfect | Teen Ink

Nobody's Perfect

April 24, 2009
By Allison Luna BRONZE, Lynden, Washington
Allison Luna BRONZE, Lynden, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Perfection –noun
The state or quality of being or becoming perfect.

Everyday women, young and old, are being absorbed into reading, watching, and hearing about perfection. What is perfection? Who sets the standard? Well, the media does.

Woman everywhere are being told they are not tall enough, not skinny enough, not smart enough, and not pretty enough to be considered perfect. But, the ladies we are seeing modeling for these ads are only a small percentage of the world’s population. What about the rest of us? All human beings are different. We all have different features, bone structures, and natural beauty. The media mission is to try to get us to persuade the general population that there is only one type or beauty in order to gain more financially.

The media has no reason to change their ways. It is left up to ordinary people like us, the consumers, to break the chain of this confused generation and start setting our own standards. We are the ones who determine if we’re perfect, not someone who we look up to because society says we should.

So what should we do about it? Do we support and consume the products of the people? No, we need to believe and have confidence in ourselves and live a healthy lifestyle. This is the only way to stop this degrading system that tears at the hearts of all women.