Why a No Deal Brexit Will Be Bad for the U.S. | Teen Ink

Why a No Deal Brexit Will Be Bad for the U.S.

May 28, 2019
By ZacharyMoore BRONZE, Los Osos, California
ZacharyMoore BRONZE, Los Osos, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The United States economy is one of the largest in the world. More than 150 million people are employed in America and many of these jobs are reliant on international trade. With tariffs and international diplomacy being one of Donald Trump's favorite topics of discussion, these topics have become mainstream. Of the issues in this field, Brexit is the single most important development in international policy currently. The departure of Britain from the European union will disrupt a seamless pattern of trade that has been established in that region, causing a 5% to 7% decrease in their economy(Brexit: The facts). At this point the decision for Britain to leave has been made, and a reversal of this decision would be near impossible, so the big question is will the EU and Britain be able to negotiate fair terms for Britains succession. The EU is one of America's closest foreign trade partners and while Brexit alone will not be good for anyone, a no deal Brexit will have far more serious negative effects for America.

Andrew Marshall of the LA Times has a very similar outlook on this topic. He equates a no deal Brexit to “running out of the house without bothering to pack or leave a forwarding address.” He argues that without the European Union to rely on for diplomacy and foreign relations, Britain will have difficulty trading with other countries, which would negatively affect the majority of their trading partners(Marshall, Andrew). For these reasons Mr Marshall would argue that a no deal Brexit would have a far less favorable outcome than a deal Brexit. I agree with Mr Marshall that a deal Brexit is the most preferable option available to us currently, however, I don’t think that his stance is aggressive enough. He seems to believe that an unsuccessful Brexit negotiation will only affect the US if it pushes the UK out of their seat of power.

Some British citizens are not nearly as cynical as myself and Mr Marshall. While almost no one is optimistic enough to predict positive economic outcomes from Brexit, some British citizens see any Brexit deal as a step in the right direction. Emma Calin is one such citizen. In her eyes, the interests of Britain and those of the larger EU are not shared, and for this reason, Britain should not be a part of the EU(Calin, Emma). She would most likely agree with the statistics presented by Mr Marshall, however she would still maintain that the conflict of interests between Britain and the EU should be remedied through separation. The opinion of British citizens is clearly a matter that should be taken into account, however the issue still needs to be addressed with international economic impacts as a consideration.

Many Europeans feel that this is not being done effectively by the British government and especially by the British Prime Minister, Theresa May. Dave Brown, for example, criticises her in the form of political cartoons. One particular cartoon of his from 2017 displays his distaste for Theresa May's methods of dealing with Brexit by displaying her as Wile E Coyote painting a fake road on a wall. In this cartoon the painting represents her Brexit solutions. The representation of Theresa May as an incompetent cartoon character shows that Mr Brown regards her as someone who is not qualified for her position. The road painted on the wall representing Brexit solutions shows that he also believes that her attempts to negotiate a Brexit deal are fruitless and meaningless as the ultimate result will be her leading the country into a wall (Harris, Miriam). At this point it is clear that not only Britain, but also the EU as a whole are divided on how to deal with Brexit and the incompetence of Britain's leadership is not lending itself to an easy solution. With Britain being an important trade partner for a substantial amount of the world it is important that we as Americans do our part by pushing for a deal Brexit. Without this our country and many others stand to lose thousands of jobs and see large economic decreases. It's no longer just Europe's issue.


The author's comments:

I recently visited the UK and was able to get first hand experience in the political climate there that I used to form my opinion on this topic.