Should the Driving Age be Changed? | Teen Ink

Should the Driving Age be Changed?

By becca8303 BRONZE, Chillicothe, Ohio
becca8303 BRONZE, Chillicothe, Ohio

One of the most opinionated issues that is currently facing our country is whether or not to raise the driving age. Some believe that fifteen and sixteen year olds are too young to be on the roads.

Studies show that one in five teen drivers will be in an accident before the age of twenty. Raising the driving age would make the roads a safer place for all drivers.

On the other hand, if the driving age is raised, then that will eliminate the ability for most high school students to drive. Many families depend on their teens to transport themselves and younger family members to and from school and other events. Without this convenience, life would be harder on parents and students, having to find an adult to take them where they need to go. While the school bus is a good alternative to get to school, this does not solve the issue of how they would got to work, extracurricular activities, or help in transporting younger family members.

Many states have adopted other solutions to irresponsible teenage driving. For example, when a young person turns sixteen, they are given a restricted license, which states that they are required to drive with an adult over the age of twenty one after dark. This is a sensible solution to eliminate the risk.

Also, to make teens more responsible, knowledgeable, and experienced with driving, the number of supervised hours to obtain a license should be raised. Currently in Ohio, under a learners permit, a student is required to drive at least fifty hours under adult supervision so that they can learn how the roads operate, and how to be safe while driving. This would provide teens with more experience before they hit the roads alone, and would not take away the convenience that families need.

A possible solution for teen automobile accidents would be a requirement to take a course in how to maneuver your vehicle in many different crash scenarios. Teens should be taught how to avoid accidents that are caused by other people, such as how to move out of the way if another car is coming at you head on or  the proper way to avoid being struck by another car who runs a red light or stop sign. Teaching young drivers how to handle different situations that cause fatal accidents would greatly increase the safety on our roads.

Although several possible solutions have been discussed, none are fool proof. During adolescence, a part of the brain called the prefrontal cortex is still developing, making teens more reliant on the amygdala to make quick decisions. This part of the brain is also associated with emotion and aggression.  Therefore when teens make decisions, emotions can impair their judgements, which could become very dangerous or fatal when driving.

All in all, there is no one single way to completely the risk of young drivers, but there are many different solutions, including raising the driving age, that could make a difference.