The Syracuse Refugee Crisis | Teen Ink

The Syracuse Refugee Crisis

February 18, 2019
By AbbyKambhampaty BRONZE, Jamesville, New York
AbbyKambhampaty BRONZE, Jamesville, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Across the world, there is over 65.6 million refugees. The global refugee crisis may seem thousands of miles away, however it’s not at all. In my small hometown of Syracuse, New York, there is thousands of refugees from all over the world. I was unaware of the refugee crisis in my own hometown until I started volunteering at a small refugee center on the northside of Syracuse about a year ago. Volunteering at the refugee center has been a beautiful and eye opening experience for me. Working with the refugees has taught me so much about the many places that the refugees come from, including Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Myanmar.

The Catholic Youth Organization Refugee Center(CYO) is part of the Catholic Charities in the Onondaga county that provides assistance to over 600 refugees every year. Refugee families fly into the Hancock International Airport, where they meet their case manager, who supports them and connects them to housing, healthcare, education, English language classes, and jobs. The Catholic Youth Organization also holds an after school program, where refugee kids come after school to get homework help, play soccer, eat a snack and hang out with friends.

I have been volunteering at the Catholic Youth Organization refugee center almost every week for over a year. I often go to the refugee center after school and volunteer with the after school program. I help kids with their homework, play games and occasionally cook with them . I have worked with some kids who are interested in math and science, and are very talented in those fields as well, however face the challenge of not understanding and speaking English very well. Those that don’t speak English very well are missing good educational opportunities and also face bullying. Many kids also do not have the proper school supplies that they need to learn in school. Others can’t focus because of the cold Syracuse winters they struggle through without jackets and clothing. Many are simply hungry and don’t have access to the nutritious food that many of us enjoy. Syracuse has many challenges, including a high poverty rate of 13%, a struggling economy, a high crime rate, and underfunded inner city schools, however these issues receive reasonable attention from local charities and government. The refugee crisis is a bit neglected by the government and charities, and therefore has shown no signs of abating in recent years.

Because of the overpopulation in Syracuse, housing is hard to come by for refugees and immigrants. Syracuse is also a region where jobs are hard to come by, therefore Syracuse struggles to ensure that the refugees are employed and don’t fall into continuous poverty cycles.  Almost 60 percent of the Catholic Charities’ refugee-resettlement cases in Syracuse are free cases, which are refugees who arrive to Syracuse knowing no one. Syracuse has one of the highest amounts of free cases in the country, and families who come alone struggle more to deal with permanent housing and finding a job.

There are many easy ways for us to help the refugee population in our hometowns. To start, communities can focus on creating an inviting environment, where everyone feels welcome. This can be through residents and refugees sharing their stories and encouraging exchanges, or simply through donating jackets and supplies that are no longer being used to the refugees. The refugee organizations are always welcoming volunteers as well. We are always looking for people to teach adults and children’s English classes. Volunteering is easy, fun and it’s a great experience. I have learned a lot about different cultures and languages from volunteering with kids.

The refugee populations can contribute to the growth of the economy of a city as well. Take Columbus, Ohio, for example. Ohio has resettled the most refugees out of all the states in the United States. They have made the refugees their neighbors, and a significant, active part of their community. The Columbus refugees generated approximately 1.6 billion dollars in economic activity by 2013, drastically contributing to the economy of Columbus.

Syracuse has a significant refugee crisis, along with its many other challenges. With help from residents, Syracuse could become a safer and more welcoming place for refugees, and the refugee population could become an economic benefit to the economically deprived city.


The author's comments:

I'm Abby K. and I'm a sophmore in Syracuse. My volunteer work at a local refugee center has opened my eyes to a whole new side of my hometown and inspired me to spread awareness and help.