Does Taking Away Technology Help? | Teen Ink

Does Taking Away Technology Help?

By yunus-hussaini BRONZE, Sacramento, California
yunus-hussaini BRONZE, Sacramento, California

'' What is real will prosper''- Jahseh Onfroy

Phones and technology are in our everyday lives. Some say it’s a big distraction and others think the opposite. Many people lives and jobs are on technology and media. Some people also think that over use of phones and technology can result to mental illness and disorders.

Technology can be very distracting to people such as teenagers especially in classrooms. Blaming the technology on your life's problems is not the way to be. Technology does not control you, you need to control it.

Phones and techs evolve over time, as it gets created more efficiently for better and more use of your time. Although it can get a little distracting, huge companies such as apple has introduced new software designed to help users restrict the time they spend on their phones. Some people say that excessive and compulsive smartphone use is correlated with anxiety and depression. But there is no direct evidence that smartphones actually cause mental illness. In other words, this claim does not exist as a 100% fact or any studies on it, and if it was true it would be their personal use of the technology that causes that.

Technology and phones can be life lessons too. For example it's more of a cause and effect situation if you do things online such as using inappropriate language in websites or apps you can get banned or timed out. That leaves an example for real life, such as using bad language at work can get you fired or suspended from your job so it sets good examples.

When we're anxious or nervous and very stressed, phones and technology are a perfect escape into a two-dimensional half-life. One that teenagers can make a sense of and be comfortable in. it is a good place to distract yourself to feel better and not have so much stress on your mind specially teenagers.

Finally, saying that teenagers have “uncertain independence” should not be held against tech. It is caused by kids being raised under helicopter parents or over involved parents that result to them having that problem. The real truth is that taking technology and phones from teenagers and is not the way. Just blaming the machines is a cop-out, a way to avoid the much more difficult task of improving young people’s lives so they won’t need to escape to the screens all the time.

This peice was mostly made from a teenagers or a Avid phone users point of view.