Kavanaugh Is Just Not Fit | Teen Ink

Kavanaugh Is Just Not Fit

By daniellalmarcelo BRONZE, Sacramento, California
daniellalmarcelo BRONZE, Sacramento, California

October 5, 2018 6:00 PM PT

Article 3 Section 1 of the United States Constitution laid the foundation for Supreme Court judges; all judges must serve only in good behavior. Judges should hold no bias and speak the truth to establish justice among the people, at least that is what we hope for.

In light of Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court, he carries a history of instances in which his integrity was questioned. In recent events, he denied numerous sexual allegations and masked the truth of his drinking habits, all while acquiring belligerent behavior. However, I stress the importance to bring attention to his past of siding with the dishonesty and immorality surrounding a trainer’s death of a publicly traded company: SeaWorld.

Kavanaugh’s past is an immoral one. If he will possibly determine an individual’s innocence or guilt, it is only fair the characteristics he will impose upon the people to match his own.

This standard is challenged with Kavanaugh’s recent sexual assault accusations, one in which he was claimed to be drunk by his former high school classmate, Christine Blasey Ford.

Business Insider’s Ellen Cranley and Michelle Mark explained, Ford accused Kavanaugh of “pinning her down and groping her:” Kavanaugh denied.

Similarly, his former Yale University classmate, Deborah Ramirez, accused Kavanaugh of exposing himself to her during a dorm party during the 1983-1984 school year: Kavanaugh denied.

In past events, men like Harvey Weinstein denied his sexual harassment accusations and was found guilty. I as a young woman in high school fear for my own and other women’s lives if Kavanaugh is treated as an exception.

Once someone speaks out about an issue as serious as sexual harassment, it should not be ignored, especially if it concerns the person being appointed to the highest position in Supreme Court.

Despite the outcome of Kavanaugh’s accusations, they are questionable acts he himself would charge as crimes in court.

The suspicion does not stop here.

During Kavanaugh’s hearing, he denied ever blacking out from drinking, as said by The Hill’s Avery Anapol. However, on October 4, 2018, three of Kavanaugh’s former Yale classmates came forward with an Op-Ed published by The Washington Post, disclosing Kavanaugh’s drunken behaviors.

Charles Ludington, Lynne Brookes, and Elizabeth Swisher described to have witnessed Kavanaugh, “stumbling drunk...that it would be impossible for him to state...he remembered everything that he did when drunk.”

He blatantly lied to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

On top of that, his behavior during his testimony on September 28, 2018 proves his sloppy behavior not only when under the influence but when sober. In defending himself, Kavanaugh argued the people would do “anything to blow [him] up and take [him] down.” Not aggressive at all.

Kavanaugh’s hostility and lies towards the public widens the gap between him and the people, and his support of SeaWorld only justifies his incapability to serve in the Supreme Court.

The 2013 documentary “Blackfish” highlighted SeaWorld’s deadly work environment, including Dawn Brancheau’s death by SeaWorld’s most famous orca: Tilikum.

SeaWorld Orlando claimed Dawn slipped into Tilikum’s pool, however SeaWorld trainers disclosed Tilikum responsible for dragging Brancheau by the arm into the water. ABA Journal’s Debra Weiss explained, SeaWorld argued the employees “accepted and controlled their exposure to risks from working with whales,” while Kavanaugh agreed “‘the participants in those activities [choose] to take part.’”

Kavanaugh’s support for a lying and insensitive company will only reflect on his own morals. We cannot ensure Kavanaugh will have the best interest for the people or be rightfully just: two essential characteristics in the judicial system.

All these events are not minor details to bypass. We can not allow a man with immorality in his hat to escape his past, and more so decipher the future of a citizen standing in front of him in court.

Kavanaugh is not the noble man he is posed to be. He is an immoral man, stumbling drunk, and liar that carries a series of events that challenge his viability to serve in the Supreme Court.

As the Senate Judiciary Committee reviews the FBI’s findings, I urge citizens to take action; write letters to your Senators. They should be representing you.

If you care about the protection of citizens, speak to stop Mr. Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to Supreme Court.

Amidst Kavanaugh's nomination and controversial case regarding his sexual accusations, I felt inclined to express my own opinion regarding his past and present behaviors and how they should affect his nomination. As a student and woman his sexual allegations, lies, and immorality infringe my feeling of safety and make me question the innerworkings of the U.S. government. If a man like Kavanaugh is appointed to Supreme Court, I do not believe he will judge people without bias or justice.