Tragic Flaw | Teen Ink

Tragic Flaw

February 20, 2018
By RockyLightwood23 GOLD, New York City, New York
RockyLightwood23 GOLD, New York City, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My best characteristic is kindness. I am polite to those who are polite back and I respect those who deserve it. Even though I don’t openly show it, I make sure my loved ones are taken care of and happy by doing small things. For example, telling them “I love you” everyday, hugging them, complimenting, and etc. I try to stay in a positive mood, which makes it easier for me to be kind.
     

There are added benefits to it other than making others happy. On a biochemical level, it is believed that the good feeling we get is due to elevated levels of the brain’s natural versions of morphine and heroin, which we know as endogenous opioids. Acts of kindness are often accompanied by emotional warmth. Emotional warmth produces the hormone oxytocin in the brain and throughout the body. Of much recent interest is its significant role in the cardiovascular system. Aging on a biochemical level is a combination of many things, but two culprits that speed the process are free radicals and inflammation, both of which result from making unhealthy lifestyle choices. The stronger the emotional bonds within groups, the greater the chances of survival, so “kindness genes” were etched into the human genome.
   

 However, there are times when kindness get be my downfall. Sometimes, I let others step on me, thinking I am being kind. There are others when my kindness is not appreciated and I feel hurt or they take advantage. Some believe I cross lines and become a pushover. People will see you as weak. Being responsive is great for the environment and aura, but taking the focus on meeting others' needs to far and it’ll end up with no time left over to work on self priorities. People take advantage. Kindness may be a prerequisite for healthy and meaningful relationships, but an utter inability to set boundaries can come across as an invitation to those with draining emotional needs, which I have before. People will believe that you have an ulterior motive in mind, otherwise, “why would you be doing all these special things?" If someone is too nice to people, they start expecting unreasonable amount of niceness from others as well. This always leads to the nice ones thinking others are being mean to them or taking them for granted.