Uniforms Have Got To Go | Teen Ink

Uniforms Have Got To Go

By JamesDix BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
JamesDix BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

Uniforms are very uncomfortable and I won’t take it anymore! They have to go. Schools use dress codes so there will be no attention/ distraction to the learning environment. Schools also use a dress code because they think that students will dress inappropriately. Schools should not have a dress code because they are boring, cost a lot of money, and it doesn’t allow individuality.

I think that schools should not have a dress code because they are boring.When you look at uniforms, they are 100% boring. We wear the same uniform colors every week, and personally I  don’t like wearing the same colors over and over again. “Pro-uniforms say these clothes help prepare the children for their future”.(School Uniforms - ProCon.org ) If schools tell us how we dress now how will we be able to dress ourselves later in our future lives. I really hate uniforms because of the pattern. Seeing the same pattern daily or weekly gets so tiring of looking at.

Another reason why I think that schools should not have uniforms because the money is wasted on uniforms every year. Uniforms are very expensive. This statement is very true because every year my parents spend about over $100 dollars a year on school clothes, and won’t have enough for supplies. “When kids have to wear uniforms it’s not only a disappointment to the kids, but the parents also”.(School Uniforms - ProCon.org ) This is especially one of those  hassles parents have to go through every year with buying uniforms.

Lastly, I think schools shouldn’t have uniforms because it doesn’t allow individuality. “I think that students shouldn’t have to wear uniforms in school because it doesn’t allow individuality”.(School Uniforms - ProCon.org ) As kids, we are still trying to find out who we are, and the way we dress has something to do with that. Finally, because wearing uniforms takes away your freedom of expression. In school nowadays, the administration wants us students to show who we are by starting a conversation with someone, but in this new generation it is all about what clothes you wear that represents you. Another example is that it shows who you are. Honestly picking out what you want to wear every morning does show who you are, but if you wear uniforms, people can’t draw any conclusion about you.

Students attention needs to return to learning in the classroom. Students should learn to make informed decisions about the clothes they wear. Wearing uniforms is a badge of price, creates an identity. The gender- specific guidelines often reinforce the gender binary in school. Where did the idea of bullying come from?

That is why schools shouldn’t have a dress code. Thanks for listening!