The Term Forever | Teen Ink

The Term Forever

June 1, 2014
By LiveToBelieve SILVER, Hanover, Maryland
LiveToBelieve SILVER, Hanover, Maryland
8 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live A Life To Believe..."


Upon reading Sarah Dessen’s The Truth About Forever, I could not help myself into wondering what forever means to me. Such terms of forever, love, hope, truth, and life may have a specific meaning provided for us in black text in the dictionary, but in reality, words are alive! Not literally but each individual may have different definitions for these terms. In the dictionary, it says that forever means always and never ending. This leads me to asking a great friend of mine and he replied stating that , “If you think of the universe as four dimensional, then there is no such thing as forever, and all time is all time.(Referring to Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut)” He extends mentioning how individuals in modern day tend to believe that time is linear, but there is space-time, where space and time are not separate rather blended together. What he has stated took a simple question, “What do you think about the term forever?” to a completely different level. Yet again shows how different we both see the term forever. In The Truth About Forever, Sarah Dessen concludes the book mentioning that “It [forever] was twenty minutes, or a hundred years, or just an instant, or any instant I wished would last and last. But there was only one truth about forever that really mattered, and that was this: it was happening.” This leads to the thought that yes, forever is happening, and yes time is passing by, but instead of focusing on forever in the future terms, it is the existing moment that matters. It is the present moment that creates our forevers, and our forevers are created depending on how we want to live and what decisions we make. How will we create our forevers? What decisions will we make? How do we want to live? What is my forever? I guess I am also discovering myself what my definition of forever is.