Abdul Sattar Edhi; The Mother Teresa of Karachi | Teen Ink

Abdul Sattar Edhi; The Mother Teresa of Karachi

By Ambercrombie SILVER, Chandler, Arizona
Ambercrombie SILVER, Chandler, Arizona

"A wasted day is one without a smile" ;D

“Good work always has a long life.” What comes to mind when you hear the word Pakistan? War? Terrorists? Destruction? Homeless humans? Maybe the name Abdul Satter Edhi pops up in your head? That famous quote was said by him. Edhi has done so much repairing for Pakistan’s people; his sincere kindness, selfless actions, and devotion in humanitarian service has made him to be known as the hero of Pakistan.

To begin, Edhi’s sincere compassion is displayed in his various actions. In the beginning of his long journey to help his people, he used to sleep outside on the concrete floor outside his clinic. Why? So he could be ready to help anyone at a seconds notice. Once he raised enough money to set up an even bigger clinic, he warmly welcomed anyone who walked through the front door. After diligently patching up a wounded citizen, he would offer food, shelter, and further medical treatment if need. (The Telegraph 2011) He collects funds by standing on street corners and begging for money, which he later used to
purchase his first ambulance. “I’m just a beggar for the poor. Through begging, I run this charity.” (The Islamic Monthly) Armed with basic medical training, Mr. Edhi drove around the streets of Karachi offering free basic health care to anybody who needed it, and earned a reputation for being a magnanimous aid to the injured and unwell (Noble Prize for Edhi).Furthermore, he was willingly to give aid and support to the needy, regardless of race, creeds, or status. When asked about his humanity ethnics, he solemnly replied: “There is no religion higher than humanity.” He was constantly putting others before him, just like Odysseus had done in the book “The Odysseus”. (The Odysseus)
In addition, Edhi’s selfless actions are clearly demonstrated in every action he does. The amount of money the Edhi Foundation receives annually is incredulous - $5 million (in Pakistan money)! Some founders would like to keep the seven digit number locked away from the media and just spend it on themselves, but not Edhi. He never shies away from the media and spends every penny to fund on his flourishing foundation. In Edhi’s autobiography, published in 1996, records that he saves his people “… When families forsook them, and authorities threw them away, I picked them up… Then I bathed and cared for each and every victim of circumstance.” (The Telegraph 2011) Edhi would rather see his people fed and dressed in clean clothes than himself with
that luxury. Edhi was constantly thinking of others and doing anything to help them before helping himself just like Odysseus was. (The Odyssey)
Furthermore, it is clear that Edhi is extremely devoted in humanitarian service. Edhi’s history in terms of humanitarian service is prolific. Sending relief goods, edibles supplied to Afghan refugees in Afghanistan, during 1994, giving continuous relief operations including provision of transportation facilities to Bosnian refugees during 1993-94, organizing relief activities conducted in Croatian camps for Bosnian people during 1993-94, evacuation and relief for plague victims in India during 1994, and sending blood bags for Japanese earthquake victims during 1994 are just a few of his acts.(The Pakistan Forum) Edhi has been helping the destitute and sick for more than 60 years. At a ripe old age of 86, Edhi is still an active founder of his organization. He wakes up early every morning ready to help his people and goes to bed late every night knowing he made a difference in someone’s life. Since its origin, the Edhi Foundation has rescued over 20,000 abandoned infants, rehabilitated over 50,000 orphans and has trained over 40,000 nurses. (Moral Heroes) “I’m a Muslim,” says Edhi, “but my true religion is human rights.” (Noble Prize for Edhi)
In summarization, due to genuine kindness, selfless actions, and devotion in humanitarian, Edhi has become a folk hero for many Pakistanis. From providing shelter, food, and medical supplies for anyone in need, to willingly giving needy people his own money, and spending nearly his whole life helping others, Mr. Edhi is a living testament to the innumerable good that can come out of one man’s vision and dedication to achieving a better life for his fellow citizens. “If you don’t have humanity, you have nothing.” (The Islamic Monthly)

A true hero.