Hell | Teen Ink

Hell

October 26, 2008
By artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama
artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama
23 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Our minds have played with the facts: twisted them, made stories of them, shaped them to out liking. Our facts now are myths, and stories plain fiction, our hearts running on what we want the world to be. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing either. Sometimes the truth doesn’t have to be everything we focus on, sometimes the truth is simply our motives deep under all of our fiction.

A story we have created is our picture of Hell. I know in your mind’s eye you’re seeing hot red flames lick up stone pillars, encasing the victims of eternal death in flaming torment. The devil is an ugly red demon with horns and a sharpened tail. A cartoon, fantasy in the least. This is such a humorous aspect of what humans have cultivated through the years of our evolution of ideas.

I would imagine hell to actually take this quite simple form:


Blackness so deep that black can’t describe it, much less words. You want to close your eyes, to escape, but then you realize you no longer posses a body to lock yourself up in. You are just a blackened sole now, nothing more. There are no confines to this space, only constant up and down, no walls. No barriers, so it seems. Darkness: it becomes all you think about. Falling, constantly, but you don’t feel the falling. You can feel neither hot nor cold, wind nor stillness. No feeling at all. Even falling doesn’t have a very unique feeling. Nothing is ever unique anymore.

Nothing is unique anymore, except the pain. Pain, sorrow, suffering, and regret. All other emotions no longer exist, for you have lost those from lack of use. There is no more hope, not more joy, no more love. Your memory has left you, only the feeling to greediness, and murderous glee haunt you like a ghost for all eternity. Pain is endless. It’s not a burning, not a numbness, not anything like pain you felt while in a flesh form. It’s a new type of pain, one that you have never felt. Tearing at your sorrow and regret, making you remember those sins you committed, forever dwelling. You can’t stream anymore, for you have no voice, no voice at all. No physical means. You can’t fight anymore, that privilege is no longer yours.

Lies of the world, living peoples’ mistakes whisper to you, tell you of what is happening, make you cringe in your mind’s eye. You want to scream loud enough for those of the living to hear your warning, but they never do. You must wait it complete isolation for all eternity, watching others come close to the same fate.

However, the soul changes in Hell: you regret, seek penance that it is too late for. In your pain you become good, but there is so turning back from this dark alley you were sent too. Only one person to this day remains evil in Hell, and that is the Devil himself.
He has many names: Lucifer, Satan, The Serpent, Devil, Angel of Death. Once, he was a beautiful angle called Lucifer, but he could have never been a real, devoted, almost perfect angel. He was beautiful, arrogant, though he was better than even God himself. Though God was his creator, and loved him dearly, Lucifer was not to be kept. He was sent to the confines of Hell, made especially for him. Through his pain though, he only grew thirsty for revenge. He found that his voice could in fact reach the hearts of the humans, and some say he beckoned the soles, told them to do wrong. Whispered with the singing birds, seeming innocent. God didn’t shut him off. Satan became his official name, and he was no longer beautiful. He was nothing but a thrashing sole in the darkness, searching for more to endure his fate forever. He has succeeded, but his arrogance never left him. He became cocky and proud, believing that he could destroy all good the God still seeks to create. Thus though, only God is powerful enough to do anything, and Satan is a fool in himself, the source of all evil today. God lets him serve as a test of our faith, love, devotion.
Of course, I might not be right either. Maybe Hell isn’t like that at all. Maybe it really is an expanse of flame and torture and heat. Maybe. Or, maybe Hell is the turn of the actually death of the sole. Maybe our punishment is actually not existing anymore, forever. That would be a true thing to be terrified of.
In the known truth, the evil will get their just fate. Though we can twist the truth into such stories, that doesn’t make the fact any less fact. And thus I say: do good, be good, and respect others as well as yourself.


The author's comments:
I am a Christian. I believe we only have so much like on earth. I love to write, I love this piece. It speaks to me, told me to write it down, told to to voice my opinion. Maybe this will help you voice yours.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 74 comments.


on Mar. 25 2009 at 1:01 pm
I think that this article was very well worded. Also quite fascinating. I think that this article explains very much of what people think hell is and what it is not. Nice job~

on Mar. 17 2009 at 5:53 am
Wordpainter BRONZE, Washougal, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
This is adoration: not a religious exercise, but an attitude of the soul~Evelyn Underhill
Forgiveness is the fragrance that the flower leaves on the heel of the one who crushed it~Mark Twain
Power can do by gentleness what violence fails to accomplish

I liked it alot! I'm a Christian as well, but I do believe you could have made it clearer how to stay away from hell and you might want to go back and check your spelling in a couple of spots. Other than that, Great Work!!! Have you ever read This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti? You should check it out if you haven't already!!!

on Mar. 16 2009 at 3:08 am
NovelistJoshF. SILVER, Erin, Tennessee
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments
I'm Josh and I'm a Christian also. When I read this it was like a whole new feeling about hell. it kind of reminded me of a deeper more scarier feeling about hell. It may be a real place or like you said it may be just not existing. I mean most of the stuff in the bible has a deeper more thought out meaning or it could mean exactly what it says it is. From what I learn in my Revelation bible study is most of it has a reference to something other than just the literal sense. Sometimes we just have to face the reality and the deeper sense of somethings in our own life. This is a very good take on the reality of hell. It was really worth the read.

on Mar. 8 2009 at 3:42 am
VERY interesting piece.

Could have been backed up maybe with examples from the bible, let's not forget Hell is a biblical place.



Matthew 25:30

on Mar. 7 2009 at 9:36 pm
MomoSaysRawrr BRONZE, Kankakee, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In the end, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to find the ones worth suffering for."
-Bob Marely

"Don't narrate... Paint! Draw! Build! CREATE!" -Jack London

I've never really thought about what'd it be like... thank you!

maza.love GOLD said...
on Mar. 7 2009 at 6:27 am
maza.love GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
14 articles 6 photos 23 comments
Great work! I can't say I agree with the lot of that, (I don't quite believe in heaven or hell), but I still think it was exceptionally well-written! Keep it up!

melissa H. said...
on Mar. 4 2009 at 10:53 pm
Wow that was great!!!

jmc.13 said...
on Feb. 23 2009 at 9:08 pm
jmc.13, Dobbs Ferry, New York
0 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'd rather regret what I did than what I didn't do."

This article is GREAT, and I tottally agree, except for the last sentence. Respecting others isn't going to guarentee us life or "eternal bliss" after death. You created a different spin on Hell that was very intriguing.

sunnygirl said...
on Feb. 21 2009 at 11:00 pm
amazing! you are an awesome writer!

on Feb. 18 2009 at 10:40 pm
Writer Chick...You do have feelings XD This was exceptionally well written. Though being Catholic I don't think God would approve of this talk but I feel the same way. Except I believe it to be more as though you are at the center of our world. Neither still nor moving, just sitting there (Standing? Swirling?) In a bottomless pit of doom. I don't wish to go to Hell, I wish to go to Heaven, either that or to be reincarnated (Though not a belief of my religion) into something, SOMEONE to help others. This has hit me hard. It is keeping my mind churning with stuff I wish to know not of. Its almost terrifying... On a happy note, wicked awesome. Keep in touch! Little Miss Swimmin'

on Feb. 17 2009 at 9:34 pm
HisTinyDancer GOLD, Mount Olive, North Carolina
14 articles 6 photos 12 comments
Heaven and hell. A subject that I think people should think about more often. That and the concequences of their actions. Which I guess could be the same thing depending on how you look at things. I can see how hell would be if it is like what you discribed. But I hope that I don't find out. At least not by going there.

on Feb. 17 2009 at 2:07 am
hootiepippin BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 10 comments
I don't think jesus has anything to do with hell.

If you did horrible things to other people, you go to hell. If you helped others, you go to heaven.

TheAuthor said...
on Feb. 16 2009 at 10:36 pm
Amyyy-

This is an opinion article, and I respect your opinion. We have very different outlooks on what we do not know for sure, and never will.

I am a Catholic Christian, and I believe that along with accepting Jesus into your heart, you need good works and a love for all to get into heaven. "What you do for the least of mine, you do for me." - Jesus.

Anyway, heaven is yet, a worthy goal. One you have to know. I do not want to go to Hell. I believe you misunderstood me.

Amyyy said...
on Feb. 16 2009 at 3:15 pm
Hell is a burning pit of fire. Satan and his devils torture you in Hell forever-that is, if you choose to go to hell. You say that you are a Christian, but I do not think you realize that there is a way to get to heaven-not by good works. You have to believe in Jesus and ask Him into your heart. Then you will live in heaven forever with him! Please choose to do this. Hell is a real place of torment. (but i do have to say, that was really good writing.)

on Feb. 16 2009 at 10:15 am
TheZeppo93 BRONZE, Tailem Bend, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
WOW! this article is AMAZING! It's an amazing piece of writing. you should look into becoming an author or something. congratulations. Well Done!

on Feb. 7 2009 at 2:22 pm
Hey! =]

This is also one of my favorites, out of your articles. That and the one I mentioned before. =D

Congrats on getting it on top again! It deserves it in so many ways. Nicely done. =]

skittlez495 said...
on Feb. 5 2009 at 8:13 pm
wow!!!!! this is an AMAZING article!!!!! this explains my feelings sooo well!!! you should sooo totally get published in the magazine!!!!

on Feb. 5 2009 at 5:37 pm
darling:DDDD

i came back to this sight and saw that this was one of the most popular articles!!

ah!

yay!



so, i'm sitting in english class, Kaylin and Brock reading along, and when it's over they're both like, "whoa."

lol:)



talk to you next period:D

love youuu



kiwi<3

someday931 said...
on Feb. 4 2009 at 5:15 am
Amazing...truly amazing

on Jan. 31 2009 at 10:08 pm
This is great! You definitely have the gift of writing!