Hell | Teen Ink

Hell

October 26, 2008
By artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama
artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama
23 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Our minds have played with the facts: twisted them, made stories of them, shaped them to out liking. Our facts now are myths, and stories plain fiction, our hearts running on what we want the world to be. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing either. Sometimes the truth doesn’t have to be everything we focus on, sometimes the truth is simply our motives deep under all of our fiction.

A story we have created is our picture of Hell. I know in your mind’s eye you’re seeing hot red flames lick up stone pillars, encasing the victims of eternal death in flaming torment. The devil is an ugly red demon with horns and a sharpened tail. A cartoon, fantasy in the least. This is such a humorous aspect of what humans have cultivated through the years of our evolution of ideas.

I would imagine hell to actually take this quite simple form:


Blackness so deep that black can’t describe it, much less words. You want to close your eyes, to escape, but then you realize you no longer posses a body to lock yourself up in. You are just a blackened sole now, nothing more. There are no confines to this space, only constant up and down, no walls. No barriers, so it seems. Darkness: it becomes all you think about. Falling, constantly, but you don’t feel the falling. You can feel neither hot nor cold, wind nor stillness. No feeling at all. Even falling doesn’t have a very unique feeling. Nothing is ever unique anymore.

Nothing is unique anymore, except the pain. Pain, sorrow, suffering, and regret. All other emotions no longer exist, for you have lost those from lack of use. There is no more hope, not more joy, no more love. Your memory has left you, only the feeling to greediness, and murderous glee haunt you like a ghost for all eternity. Pain is endless. It’s not a burning, not a numbness, not anything like pain you felt while in a flesh form. It’s a new type of pain, one that you have never felt. Tearing at your sorrow and regret, making you remember those sins you committed, forever dwelling. You can’t stream anymore, for you have no voice, no voice at all. No physical means. You can’t fight anymore, that privilege is no longer yours.

Lies of the world, living peoples’ mistakes whisper to you, tell you of what is happening, make you cringe in your mind’s eye. You want to scream loud enough for those of the living to hear your warning, but they never do. You must wait it complete isolation for all eternity, watching others come close to the same fate.

However, the soul changes in Hell: you regret, seek penance that it is too late for. In your pain you become good, but there is so turning back from this dark alley you were sent too. Only one person to this day remains evil in Hell, and that is the Devil himself.
He has many names: Lucifer, Satan, The Serpent, Devil, Angel of Death. Once, he was a beautiful angle called Lucifer, but he could have never been a real, devoted, almost perfect angel. He was beautiful, arrogant, though he was better than even God himself. Though God was his creator, and loved him dearly, Lucifer was not to be kept. He was sent to the confines of Hell, made especially for him. Through his pain though, he only grew thirsty for revenge. He found that his voice could in fact reach the hearts of the humans, and some say he beckoned the soles, told them to do wrong. Whispered with the singing birds, seeming innocent. God didn’t shut him off. Satan became his official name, and he was no longer beautiful. He was nothing but a thrashing sole in the darkness, searching for more to endure his fate forever. He has succeeded, but his arrogance never left him. He became cocky and proud, believing that he could destroy all good the God still seeks to create. Thus though, only God is powerful enough to do anything, and Satan is a fool in himself, the source of all evil today. God lets him serve as a test of our faith, love, devotion.
Of course, I might not be right either. Maybe Hell isn’t like that at all. Maybe it really is an expanse of flame and torture and heat. Maybe. Or, maybe Hell is the turn of the actually death of the sole. Maybe our punishment is actually not existing anymore, forever. That would be a true thing to be terrified of.
In the known truth, the evil will get their just fate. Though we can twist the truth into such stories, that doesn’t make the fact any less fact. And thus I say: do good, be good, and respect others as well as yourself.


The author's comments:
I am a Christian. I believe we only have so much like on earth. I love to write, I love this piece. It speaks to me, told me to write it down, told to to voice my opinion. Maybe this will help you voice yours.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 74 comments.


on Nov. 22 2009 at 2:40 pm
bravo! i have never seen and read anything so dark and buaotifal ( i think i spelled that wrong) keep it up you might be the next rick riordan

SaraB. GOLD said...
on Jul. 19 2009 at 10:56 pm
SaraB. GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona
12 articles 6 photos 215 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whatever you are, be a good one" Abraham Lincoln

I think this is very good. I myself am a Christian, although I also am a... let's call it a "social minority" just to be safe. People like me are often condemned by the church, which causes them to turn away from Christ. I completely disagree with that attitude, and was lucky enough for the Holy Spirit to come into my life. This article made me realize more than ever that I need to be ministering to others like me to help God save them from that horrific fate. Thankyou, you are doing the work of God.

on Jun. 25 2009 at 2:35 am
christabby01 BRONZE, SIMMS, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
WOW!!!! that gave me chiillsss... u r a very good writer keep it up ;)

on Jun. 24 2009 at 10:35 pm
kellerleopard, Cape Coral, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
Wow that was amazing piece. and i think you are right, unfortunately, i wish that Lucifer, Satan whatever you called him had not had been thrown out of heaven or done wrong because then we would (hopeful) still be in the garden and there would be no evil and nothing bad would ever happen. But then again we would never actually know if that would have happened or not. but i think that is what hell is going to be like to like a black hole with no way of getting out. but this was a very nice piece i would like to read more.

on Jun. 24 2009 at 9:36 pm
vegijeni SILVER, Griffith, Indiana
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
If Slaughterhouses had glass walls we'd all be vegetarian. - Linda McCartney

WOW!!! That was totally amazing! Definitly a five-star!

on Jun. 24 2009 at 2:30 pm
Aaron Gertler BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 5 comments
Or maybe we die and nothing happens? Hell seems like a lot of trouble to go through to punish someone whose sins, on a cosmic scale, are nothing. "Forever" is a very long time, and keeping someone in Hell that long (a billion or a trillion years) for under a century of sin is cruelty on an unimaginable level.

Chrissy_L GOLD said...
on Jun. 1 2009 at 10:08 pm
Chrissy_L GOLD, Ramsey, New Jersey
13 articles 0 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

I agree that there are so many things we create from our own worst fears or greatest desires to embody certain religious aspects of our life. And the bare human aspect to it gets me thinking. What if hell is just a coorelaton of our fears and, infact, entirely mythical. And (please don't hurt me) what if heaven is also a mythical coorelation of our greatest desires? So many parts of the Bibal have little structure and grasp at the things that appeal to us the most, no matter how illogical (like the book of Revalation.) Who really knows?

on May. 28 2009 at 11:40 pm
forever_misguided GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
15 articles 0 photos 7 comments
im at a loss for words....

for what might actually be the first time in....EVER

on May. 28 2009 at 3:43 pm
Ryley Howell BRONZE, Wapello, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
uhh....and this story is not a myth?????

on May. 28 2009 at 3:26 pm
aambeeer! BRONZE, Portia, Arkansas
3 articles 0 photos 6 comments
Wow. Just wow.

on Apr. 14 2009 at 10:32 pm
r4ch3lfor3v3r05 SILVER, Mt. Plymouth, Florida
9 articles 3 photos 5 comments
This was a good story!! (Just don't forget, it Revelation it does mention something about a Lake of Fire). Very descriptive, good job!

on Apr. 14 2009 at 9:33 pm
Melissarae9590 GOLD, Mesa, Arizona
14 articles 0 photos 5 comments
I love this piece, Its a more realistic opinion of Hell in my eyes. You're a very talented writer.

on Apr. 10 2009 at 8:41 pm
Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other
26 articles 0 photos 493 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If one will scoff at the study of language, how, save in terms of language, will one scoff?" - Mario Pei
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." Isaac Asimov

That was really good, really descriptive! I like your opinion on hell, a good take. The only thing was you spelt soul as sole. Keep writing great stuff!

on Apr. 10 2009 at 1:50 am
ryangallagher BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
4 articles 2 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

Well...in the bible it says that hell is in fact a burning lake of fire, but i like how you depicted the evil, satan, and souls. This wasn't bad

on Apr. 6 2009 at 11:08 pm
BellaLuna1 BRONZE, Ozone Park, New York
2 articles 0 photos 93 comments
I love this. it is great. you are great! this is so real. it is a true picture of hell. as you said many people think of the cartoonie hell but this is so much deeper tthen that

on Apr. 5 2009 at 11:08 pm
aaron able BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 4 comments
wow!! this peace is one of the few that actually makes sence and that I LIKE so thanks for writing!!

on Apr. 5 2009 at 8:42 pm
Vexa_Rave SILVER, Mt. Clare, West Virginia
9 articles 0 photos 57 comments
i thought this was pretty good. i'm Catholic, and it was very interesting to see your insight on things. but it confused me a bit when you said that people constantly fantasize about stuff like this and make it cartoony and utterly fictional, yet you post something of your own fantasies. everyone has an imagination, and it's great for all of us to use them. no one really knows what hell is like, and i've fantasized myself over what things appear to be in heaven and hell. i once saw a picture of Satan as a big, black demon with bat-like wings in a CCD book (kinda like a Catholic school book) and i picture him like that instead of the usual red demon with a tail and horns. this was a good article, and you should continue writing. maybe you could make a story out of this, too; who knows?

on Apr. 4 2009 at 9:59 pm
I thought this was a very powerful piece. While I am an agnostic, I find the idea of heaven/hell very fascinating and enjoyed reading about your view on it. I hope you keep on writing. ^_^

on Apr. 1 2009 at 10:20 pm
DinosoarJen DIAMOND, Scottsville, New York
86 articles 0 photos 82 comments

Favorite Quote:
Just another casualty.
It's sad but true.
And even dead I'm still ahead
of most of you.

I think people start to help others after they've done something bad. So everyone would go to hell wouldn't they? I think the hell you describe is kind of like a black hole, and maybe heaven is the stars. Light vs. incomprehensible darkness? Maybe heaven and hell were created by astronomers.

on Mar. 25 2009 at 3:13 pm
Kendra92 SILVER, The Colony, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 10 comments
This is a great piece!! It really gets you thinking about what Hell really is. We have this vision of it already set in our minds...when no body truly knows. You are a great, inspirational writer!!