The Weird Normality | Teen Ink

The Weird Normality

December 18, 2009
By Katuria:D GOLD, Miami, Florida
Katuria:D GOLD, Miami, Florida
10 articles 2 photos 13 comments

Normal and Weird. My two favorite, yet most hated words.
Normal. Webster’s New Dictionary of the English language defines: Average, regular or standard. Regular compared to what?
Weird. Also a Webster’s defined word: Unearthly or mysterious; strange. Strange compared to what?

Who is Webster anyways? Who are the faces behind the name and why should they decide what’s normal and what’s weird? How can we even really know what normal is? Shouldn’t we understand it’s true definition before we take on the more complicated word of weird? Think of it in this manner, do we have a certain information sheet like in a doctors office? One that characterizes those trait’s the make up the ‘normal’? Is there a certain way that all human beings think and act that if done otherwise you are un-normal?

Therefore I believe the word of weird has been exhaustibly been misused over and over. A person is not weird simply because they act different then you. Its really not the correct use of the word. And if the need is so urgent to classify another different from oneself why not propose a new word? A word who’s meaning is clear and precise. Definition: Someone or something strange or mysterious compared to ones personal thoughts or actions. After all what and who are normal?


The author's comments:
This is based on a conversation i had with a close friend a while back.