Interested in Flight? How You Can Prepare for a Career in Aviation Now | Teen Ink

Interested in Flight? How You Can Prepare for a Career in Aviation Now MAG

August 26, 2023
By michaelvellucci24 BRONZE, East Greenwich, Rhode Island
michaelvellucci24 BRONZE, East Greenwich, Rhode Island
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

For as long as I can remember, my head has been in the clouds. I grew up listening to thrilling stories of my dad’s adventures on the Air Force’s Special Tactics Team. One day, he’d be cascading out of a plane to rescue a fallen member of the military. On another, he might be racing across state borders to assist a citizen in need.

My dad’s anecdotes always captured my attention, but I learned early on that I wanted to be a commercial pilot, and his work was far more specialized. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of resources available to teens looking to make sense of the wide world of aviation. Just think of the array of careers available in this line of work, from a pilot, of course, but also air traffic controllers, airplane mechanics, aerospace engineers, and members of the landing crew. The reality, though, is that while all of these careers require baseline knowledge of how a plane functions and sky conditions, these lines of work are actually quite different.

I found it difficult to identify a mentor who could help me figure out the right way to pursue my interest in becoming a pilot. I talked to the parents of friends who worked in the industry, and I scouted out opportunities to make new connections through those I knew from flight training school. However, I recognized that much of what I know about this field comes through self-study and informal networking.

Recently, I created the organization Fly High as a resource for other teens looking to learn more about aviation. But I want to share what I’ve learned a bit more widely, which is why I am writing this article.

We’re currently in the midst of a major pilot shortage, and I can’t help but wonder, does some of this have to do with the fact that so many teens simply aren’t exposed to this career path and don’t know the options available to them in this industry? Researchers from the firm Oliver Wyman indicated that airlines in North America, in particular, will need approximately 30,000 more pilots by 2032 in order to maintain the transportation standards we have become accustomed to in our lives (Schonland). If we can’t garner student interest in this topic, it’s unlikely we will be in the position to meet the industry’s needs ten years or so from now, and part of this work involves making sure that students with a burgeoning passion for aviation know the paths available to them to prepare for this career. Despite the country’s emphasis on STEM education, only 240 high schools in the United States include aviation in their programming (Camera). From personal experience, I know that some states likely provide opportunities to learn this material more often
than others. But how can someone interested in aerospace engineering, for example, actually propel themselves toward success in this field if high school STEM programs largely exclude these topics from their curriculums?

While I can’t offer a comprehensive list of how to prepare for a career in aviation, given that the field is so varied, here are a few more things students can do to cement and narrow their interests:

If you are interested in aviation, there are a lot of digital resources available to you right now — at no cost. For example, CNBC and Epic Flight Academy have both released detailed video guides explaining how to become a pilot. These resources give students a close look at United Airlines’ simulation technologies and detail the steps involved in pursuing a pilot’s license and completing the FAA’s written exam (“What It Takes to Become a Pilot” and “How To Become a Pilot”). There are also a ton of interesting podcast series that shed an insider’s look at the industry, such as Airline Pilot Guy and AvTalk.

Some states in America offer flight training schools, though there aren’t as many as one might hope. The first step toward pursuing a career in aviation is to research the on-the-ground and in-the-air training opportunities in your state. When I decided to take flight classes, I was surprised by the cost of these programs. Fortunately, with a bit of planning, it’s possible to secure scholarships to cover the cost of flight training. Companies like FedEx and UPS invite scholarship applicants for flight training each year, and regional organizations, like Aero Club of New England, also host such programs. Many flight training schools themselves, such as AirVentures, publish resources on ways to cover the cost of this training. While opportunities tend to vary by state, another option would be to look at organizations that cater to specific demographics, like Women in Aviation and Black Aerospace Professionals.

As I’ve learned firsthand, it’s possible to cover a lot of ground with a little initiative. Don’t be afraid to set up a conversation with a pilot you’ve encountered in the airport on a family trip or to reach out to local mentorship organizations about roundtables or other series they might be hosting. Try to connect with friends, relatives, and peers to see if anyone in their social circle works in aviation. Speaking with these individuals will likely expose you to more opportunities than you can find just by Googling.

So if you’re curious about aviation, it’s worth taking a deeper dive into these programs and materials. After all, there’s a pilot shortage and a general need for employees in this industry, and it’s a career path where you’re sure to make a lasting impact.


The author's comments:

I wrote this article because I hope to share some of the insights I’ve gathered informally about careers in aviation with students across America. I know firsthand how difficult it can be to figure out how to prepare for such a robust, yet varied line of work, and I’ve made it my mission to circulate the tidbits of knowledge that I accrue along the way in my journey to become a pilot.