What about my Name? | Teen Ink

What about my Name?

By 3Bast BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3Bast BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

“I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly stupid.”
-Jack Sparrow

Jameson. The origin is Hebrew and there is not much more background of the name itself other than son of James. It doesn’t bother me. It doesn't affect me. Why would it? If it has history or not that doesn’t matter to me, but what does matter is my history.

My mother wanted Jameson and my father wanted Benjamin Jr. Personally I wouldn’t mind being a Ben but I agree with my Mom about begging a Jr. I'm not a fan of being a Jr. It doesn’t feel like mine. It feels like I’m now just a spin-off of my father. My mother very much liked Jameson, convinced my Dad and then played around with the spelling a bit before settling on me.

I like it. It fits. It feels like a warm campfire. Welcome to everyone and comfortable. Sometimes in the background, definitely not always tended too but it burns on. It reminds me of watching movies with friends, putting hard work late into the night, and having small but crazy parties. It doesn’t stick to one thing and it jumps around.

The name itself feels good. I feel accustomed to it through use and through rarity. I only know about two other people with the same name. I find it funny. I don’t feel as special as my name implies. I’m not very outgoing. Not very confident. I go to school, come home, work, and play video games. Some things though. Some things I really find passion about.

Maybe that’s what my name means. An unfound passion to do greatness in something that no one else suggests. Like people think you are special when you don’t think it yourself. Maybe that’s the inspiration that you need. People that are close to me know that I care greatly about them and that I try my best to make them feel happy. Friends, coworkers, family, my girlfriend, they all need care and encouragement which I try to provide to the best of my ability.

Or is a name just some letters thrown onto you like a label machine brought down by unsuspected motive? Is it just a meaningless sound that you recognize as you. Perhaps logically. It means nothing. Nothing at all. Until you give it life. Maybe it’s about time I gave my name life.