Does being emotional actually hurt you? | Teen Ink

Does being emotional actually hurt you?

By Sakshi_Sneha BRONZE, Patna, Other
Sakshi_Sneha BRONZE, Patna, Other

Not to sound cliche, but be the best version of yourself! Trust me it just makes you experience things around you in a whole another level of awesome.

Have you ever heard yourself or any of your friends saying: 'The world is not a place for emotional ones', 'I am way too emotional thats why I keep getting hurt'. Or if you recognise yourself as someone who deliberately tries to shut their emotions off as a defense mechanism in order to avoid being hurt (again), then this article is for you more than anyone else. 

First of all you need to understand what being emotional means. It means to be someone who can feel intensely. Now, is it a bad thing? Absolutely not! If you are capable of feeling your emotions to the fullest I say you are living every moment of your life very profoundly and you should be proud of it. 

But now obviously you get played on, cheated and betrayed easily and frequently so there must be some glitch in the matrix or you can say a loophole in your actions. 

Whats happening is you have made your emotions sit on the driver's seat and allowed your brain take the back seat. You start getting driven by your emotions and thats when the chaos start! 

Emotions are only to let you analyse how good or bad a situation makes you feel, which is a survival skill according to me. For example - You feel good about your crush as well as your friends but its your emotions that lets you feel the difference in its intensity. Here comes the tricky part... What should we do after our emotions let us indentify and feel the situation?

We should let the magic of logic come to play now, put the brain in the driver's seat and then invest in the scenario reasonably. Emotions are spontaneous in nature while your decison making requires stability and long term thinking. Trust me, taking the same stream or same tutions as your crush won't help with anything! 

What should be your next step, must only be decided by rational thinking mixed with appropriate amount of feelings. Otherwise, there would be no difference between falling in love and attending  a business meeting...

You have to realise when you get played on or cheated its because of your own lack of rationalisation and some good amount of stupidity.

It was never your emotions hurting you. Otherwise answer me, why do you fall in love so quickly when displayed slightest of affection, but now that you are feeling the toxicity why ain't you so fast in leaving them? Definetely its not only emotions but lack of logical thinking that is clearly evident here. 
You have to stop confusing between being emotional and being stupid! (Here it means someone who keeps hiding behind the tag of 'being emotional' as an excuse for getting hurt multiple times due to lack of rationalisation).

I guess, now its the time to change your defense mechanism from shutting off emotions to taking decisions logically. 

Let your guards down - fall in love, trust again, go make new friends, do cry to the love story you are watching, give the effort into your hobby, pursue your internationally long distance romance.. Just give it all a shot but don't forget to draw the line between the influence of your logical thinking and emotions. 
Do not let them interchange their places ever!! 
Only then you will be able to harness the bounties of life in its full swing.

Channelising your emotions is a pretty great but a difficult skill so make the required effort and mistakes to conquer it 😊

In my life also just like every other teen, came a time where I chose shutting my emotions down as a defense mechanism to avoid the pain... but now in my late teen years I actually started questions was it actually the emotions that was causing the pain?? And the answer that I got from my introspection is brought to all of you! 

Consider it as a an advice or a life experience of an older sister!

Mastering your emotions should be considered as self improvement especially during teens! I hope this article will lead you in the correct direction.

rohitraj28 said...
on May. 25 2021 at 12:18 am
rohitraj28, Patna, Other
Very nicely penned. It is one of the best article on this topic, I have ever read.