The Hatred Within Ourselves | Teen Ink

The Hatred Within Ourselves MAG

The recent vandalism incidents have upset many people. Seeing walls with words of hate spewed forth on them is enough to make anyone's skin crawl. How can people be so filled with hatred? This question is what remains in the minds of all. These episodes have been rehashed enough. It is easy to self-righteously denounce those who do these acts, but if we really want to stop prejudice, as many ardently proclaim, we've got to question ourselves. It is within ourselves that the seed of hatred is born, and the only way to kill it is to bring it out into the clear light of recognition.

Admittedly, this is not an easy thing to do. Who wants to put themselves on the level of loathsome vandals? But we have to; we're all as guilty as the vandals. It sickens and frightens me to see any nasty words, symbols or drawings scrawled walls , and it must stop.

The only way to do this is to examine our own prejudices. Otherwise, if we keep them buried hatefully away, which one of us will be the first to repeat such hateful incidents? n

i love this so much!