Should The Death Penalty Be Banned? | Teen Ink

Should The Death Penalty Be Banned? MAG

There are many things in this society which should be banned, but the death penalty is not one of them. It is definitely the right way to go as far as capital discipline is concerned. Right now in our country, I find it outrageous that criminals think that they can get away with just about anything. In some states, including Alabama, the death penalty has helped them lower the rate of violent crimes. We need some form of capital punishment to send a message to career criminals that they will not get away with these severe crimes.

The death penalty would also make people more secure. In some countries of South America and the Far East, they have very severe penalties, including flogging, for even minor crimes. People in some areas of our nation feel they cannot walk around or step outside their houses for fear of criminals. In other countries, however, you would rarely see laws being broken because the penalties are so stern. The United States is one of the most lenient countries in the world as far as discipline. If we had the death penalty, all people would be able to use the streets even in troubled areas.

Another reason we should use this is to set an example to all criminals. Some criminals who have committed many violent crimes (robbery, rape, and murder) are walking the streets like normal citizens because we are much too lenient on them. If the death penalty is instituted, there would not be as many daring and violent crimes as there are presently. Our present laws are much too "soft" on criminals. We need to get stricter.

In closing, I would like to add that this law would make a major difference. It would make our streets safer, people more secure, and make a better world to live in. The death penalty is a definite plus for our society as a whole.

What do you think? ?

GledisG GOLD said...
on Mar. 6 2018 at 2:09 am
GledisG GOLD, Tirana, Other
You aren't punishing the criminal with the death penalty. You are punishing his family/friends. The only way to punish him is to put him in jail forever or for a long period of time.

tennis4life said...
on Feb. 23 2017 at 10:54 am
tennis4life,
i agree with @Aspiringauhor,

tennis4life said...
on Feb. 23 2017 at 10:49 am
tennis4life,
it should be banned, who are we to take life away from someone. According to the US constitution it says that every american has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If we are all guaranteed life, then we should not take it away from people

kfresh said...
on Feb. 22 2016 at 10:45 am
nah it should be banned period.

will said...
on Jan. 28 2015 at 10:13 am
It should be banned

debator101 said...
the death penaly is good and bad but don't let the person or victum suffer or i will make you suffer

debator said...
i love the idea of a death penalty we would be much much much safer in the world why not make them suffer the way the victum did why not let there family grief liek the victims did why not let them die like a victim did let them SUFFER a way a victim did !!! 

junella30 said...
on Mar. 7 2014 at 1:03 am
Based on this death penalty issue, I believe that it is somewhat a good way for criminals to be aware of there actions. They should understand that there is a major consequence after committing a crime. However, I also believe that it shouldn't be allowed or opposed. Why? Because who are we too murder or kill the criminals. That would make us a killer too. I also believe that only God has the right to deal with the criminals.

bobby#1 said...
on Jun. 3 2013 at 10:58 am
death penalty should be kept for the idiots who want to do stupid stuff and they get put in jail. then when they get out of jail they do stupid stuff again and they get the death penalty thats how life works if u wanna be a screw up...

bootymuncher said...
bootymuncher, Randleman, North Carolina

hgfghi bb

gbgxfyufvsgcdgsftgyZDczYftcfdnud

sweetnessxx said...
sweetnessxx, Birmingham, Other
Why should a group of people who are only in power because they happen to have been born into privalege get to decide whether a person deserves to live or die? The murderers are those in power sending soldiers into other countries to kill innocent civilians.. Will these people ever get the death penalty? Or is it more likely to be the person born into poverty who turns to crime as a way to keep himself fed and sheltered while billions are being spent on war. The government needs to look at the conditions which lead people to commit crime in the first place not just kill them all off.

goodnightmoon, Wapakoneta, Ohio

We all matter. Maybe less than a lot, but always more than none.
-John Green

Definitely. I agree with that completely. And I've been told that. =) 

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I just couldn't resist. :) I never, ever, ever, ever, would want to tell people to change their opinion. I only want to help them along in the process, you know? You're stubborn, though. :)

Amor-Y-Palabras SILVER, Springfield, Illinois

"We must use the weapon of love. We must realize that so many people are taught to hate us that they are not totally responsible for their hate." -Martin Luther King Jr.

I agree with thrickythebanana.  Someone kills someone, and then the gov't kills them.  Then someone'll get angry at the gov't and try for a 9-11 take-two.  The pattern will go one and on and we won't get anywhere.  And Anne P., if your child was charged w/ murder and got the death penalty, wouldn't you forgive her and not want her to be killed?  Or would you just say, "Oh, we're a dysfunctional family.  I should have raised her better.  Hmm, oh well.  Too bad, so sad."  Pssh, no!  Of course you would care.  And so do other families.

goodnightmoon, Wapakoneta, Ohio

-John Green

Hahaha. That was a fantastic way to help push your point though. =) You didn't get me to change my mind (sorry!), but I did appreciate that. =)

on Apr. 25 2011 at 9:52 am

Yes! Exactly! That is exactly my line of thought when it comes to the death penalty (sorry to bring a controversial topic back into this, but... :)).

goodnightmoon, Wapakoneta, Ohio

-John Green

Exactly! I don't think I've seen you do it either. I try not to because I wouldn't want anyone doing that to me.

on Apr. 23 2011 at 10:07 am

Yes, a number of people on here do shove what they believe in down other people's throats. I guess they don't realize that the more they do that, the more frustrated people become! I don't think I have ever seen a comment from you doing that.

on Apr. 22 2011 at 11:40 am
goodnightmoon, Wapakoneta, Ohio

-John Green

I agree fully on our civilization with each other. I appreciate that you don't shove your beliefs down others' throats. Nobody likes that. =)