Euthanasia | Teen Ink

Euthanasia MAG

Euthanasia, the act of causing death painlessly to end pain, is a good idea. The fact is we put our pets to sleep when they get too old but if grandma gets really old and sick we put her on many machines to keep her alive (but only mildly conscious) for years. I'm not for a minute saying that grandma is like a dog but why should she live the last years of her life like a vegetable? If I ever get old and really sick I hope euthanasia will be legal, because if I'm suffering, I don't want to drag it out.

If you think about it, euthanasia could actually save lives. If an eighteen-year-old kid gets into a car accident and has no chance to live outside the hospital, why not use his organs for people who need them. If the kid's parents don't have the money or don't want the kid to live a life of pain, let the kid help someone else.

Dr. Kevorkian is a doctor who has created a lot of controversy with his method of helping his ill patients with their own suicides. This man is being persecuted because he is helping people get rid of their pain. In my mind this doctor is not someone the law should come down on because there are people killing healthy people everywhere. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he's doing even if it does go against his Hippocratic oath. I think that Dr. Kevorkian helps a lot of sick people gain respect for themselves by ending their lives by their choice, not by a slow painful illness.

Euthanasia also is a good idea financially. If a normal family of four has a child who contracts a deadly disease and has no chance of living, thousands (or even millions) of dollars would be spent if they're not insured. By keeping that person in the hospital, it raises the insurance for all.

Euthanasia should be legalized. It is a helpful way to let people leave this earth with dignity instead of dying slowly and painfully. ?

i love this so much!

on Apr. 7 2011 at 7:11 am
BandGeek BRONZE, Lyman, Maine
I agree, but it's possible that we could end up like the Netherlands if it becomes a regular thing...