Racism | Teen Ink

Racism MAG

Life is rarely, if ever, fair. It pushes you around, gives you a pop quiz in math, then kicks you while you're down, spilling chocolate milk on your new shirt during lunch. I think everyone knows what I'm talking about: you come up with a great answer to the question in class, and your neighbor steals the idea, receiving the teacher's praise. Sometimes it's all you can do to just grin and bear it.

With all the heartbreak and disappointment life dishes out, there is one thing life did not bring upon us: racism. Racism, one of the deadliest diseases ever to traverse the face of the earth, is one of the few inequities that man has created. Racism is the scourge of the earth, brought on by pure hatred. Why is it, with all the things we have already in life, that we can't all put aside the color of our skin?

I agree that not all people are racists. However, before we can live in a world devoid of racial hatred, we must be rid of the "well, it's not our fault" syndrome. Granted it may not be your fault, but what are you doing to stop it? By putting the blame on others, you are simply compounding the problem. Instead of dodging the race bullet, why not meet it head on, stopping it in its tracks before it strikes?

Second, people must realize that racism starts with the smallest joke, the most insignificant utterance of a six-letter word. Racism is a disease spread by word of mouth. A young child often emulates a parent or older sibling, and hearing this word spoken can send the wrong message. Again, instead of being a bystander, why not take the situation into your own hands?

The biggest problem America has is not the racist, but the people who stand by and let racism continue. Like rubber-neckers at a horrific accident scene, bystanders only add to the problem instead of helping those involved. Do not begin to blame others for racism until you yourself have done everything in your power to stop it.

Before racism can ever be cured, people must realize that racism is everyone's fault and can therefore only be cured by a joint effort. Racist feelings and sentiments have been building in this country. If they continue to grow, there can be only one to end it: bloodshed on both sides. ?

cheyennedoyle, Daytona Beach, Florida
CHEYENNE DOYLE 7th PERIOD
I agree with everything that is said in this article about racism. The world does have a lot of issues going on right now and racism is a big problem. The article says, "However, before we can live in a world devoid of racial hatred, we must be rid of the "well, it's not our fault" syndrome. Granted it may not be your fault, but what are you doing to stop it? By putting the blame on others, you are simply compounding the problem. Instead of dodging the race bullet, why not meet it head on, stopping it in its tracks before it strikes?" I agree with that statement completely because as much of a problem that it is, not everyone is doing something proactive to combat racism. It is something that can only be rid if everyone works together on doing something about it.

1rcut said...
on May. 17 2021 at 1:28 am
1rcut, Daytona Beach, Florida
No I think if everyone thinks on the same page there will be no racism. Certain people in this world think they are better than certain people just because of how they were raised or maybe off of how much money they make or the color of their skin. So its starts with the Racist people in order to end racism. The people that are not racist have no power over it.

Jasset said...
on Apr. 28 2021 at 9:11 am
Jasset, Daytona Beach, Florida
jasset 6th I do agree with you, there is a lot of problem with our world but the biggest one is racism. people just like to point and blame everyone but have they help in any way no, so ones everyone help the best they can and stop it it will never end. its outstanding how a few racim word and go such a long way and if someone don stop it, it will go out of control if we don't do anything to stop it so lets get all together and stop it togethter.

jenyshia said...
jenyshia, Daytona Beach, Florida
I agree with the article because it shows facts, give examples and explain how racism is messing up our country. If everybody was like the person who wrote this article then world better a better place. The blog points out facts how racism can be stopped or help improve so that we as a country can become a better. The blog shines alot of light on racism and how people are treated just because another person dont feel the same was or look the same way.

CalebW said...
CalebW, Daytona, Florida
I agree with this article because it points out every element of racism. Not only does it point out the difficult details, but it also gives us a great solution to this disease that has damaged our country for many years. By the blog explaining that for us to stop racism we must all take accountability, and stop the hate, was a very big eye-opener and should be heard all over the world.

TianaH04 said...
TianaH04, Daytona Beach, Florida
I agree because this article points out everything and racism has a lot of effect on people. Today racist people don't think before they speak, they say whatever comes to mind then expect others not to get mad or say anything. But when they are put in the same situation its a problem and they want to play victim.

on Apr. 26 2021 at 10:16 am
baby_josseline, Daytona Beach, Florida
5th. I agree with this article because today here in the United States racism is getting worse towards others just because of the color of our feet oh because we are foreigners we are all human beings we have the same rights as others no matter the type of color oh the country where they come from we all deserve respect and I think most people do not understand that we are all human beings and we feel it is stupid to see so many ignorant people that instead of doing something good to the other they only do evil what kind of education are they By giving our youth today, they are only teaching us to behave like animals without respecting others. It is time that we leave racism and selfishness and at least do something good for others.

salad17 said...
salad17, Holly Hill, Florida
I have been picked on since i have been in first grade and one thing that i have learned is that the people that bully other people just want to make themselves feel better and we shouldn't let the bullys get to use just let it slide right off our shoulders and just live our lives.

blakeculver said...
blakeculver, Daytona Beach, Florida
Blake 7th period- this article is written by a young student who has been bullied in school and doesn't enjoy it so they want to make a stand about it because it sucks. They tell us the truth about racism in the world and how in America it only is getting worse. All it takes to make a racists statement is the smallest of jokes and people do take offence to it. There are people that can see people make racist statements or actions to others but they choose to not do anything because they are to scared to do anything. The only way we can stop this situation is to stand up as a whole group with each other and make a stand to stop racism to others and anyone in general. There are people that can take the smallest joke to serious and decided they want to shed blood of others, which will only make the racial statements worse.

blakeculver said...
blakeculver, Daytona Beach, Florida
blake 7th period-

1ybpfVolusia said...
1ybpfVolusia, Daytona Beach, Florida
This shows us the truth. The heartbreaking truth about life.
as sad as it is racism is still thing discrimination of color and culture and other things have been around for many years but it is not as bad as it was.
with years that have gone by, we are seeing a change in the way people are towards each other but we still have problems.
but the only way to get by it is by learning and fixing what was done wrong.

sashaym said...
sashaym, Daytona Beach, Florida
This article truly reflects and explains the depth of racism and how as a whole it is truly destructive to society. Systematically, racism is still both and local and dominant thing in today's modern society. However, I do believe we have progressed more than we used to be, regarding segregation and slavery. Anti-racism or racism is firstly taught at home and parents can definitely influence the minds of their kids and how they behave and treat others. We must first teach the kids of this generation why racism is wrong and how to all coexist together to respect each other's races and cultures. The world needs a change and immediately at that. It has been far too long since racism and racists have thrived, now we should move on and move forward.

emelyosorio_ said...
emelyosorio_, Daytona, Florida
I agree with what you wrote. It's so true the way that people discriminate against other people we are humans. I liked the example that she stated," you come up with a great answer to the question in class, and your neighbor steals the idea, receiving the teachers praise" it's not fair for other people to come and have the right to take something away and being something that you worked hard.

adimchinaobi said...
adimchinaobi, Daytona Beach, Florida
6th period-I totally agree with your words and idea relating to the issue of racism. Racism is indeed a deadly disease that if we all don't come together to put this to an end it will keep growing and spreading. It is inhumane and sickening that this century even consider and support this to be a good thing.
We all on this earth are the same so discriminating and pointing fingers on who's good or bad because of the color of their skin is bad. It is good to know how to support and help those who are racially abused so it doesn't lead to death and becomes too late.

Cole225 said...
Cole225, Daytona Beach, Florida
Cole 7th- This article is very eye opening and tells nothing but the truth. The truth hurts, but everyone who stands by and lets racism happen is just as bad,if not worse, than the racists themselves. Racism is very awful; even compared to a deadly disease in this article. Racism is in every single person's life one way or another. It is the job of everyone to not just stand by and let racist jokes, commemts, or actions continue to slide.

1uzid said...
1uzid, Daytona, Florida
Morgan, Yes, in my opinion we do have huge racism crowds of negativity. Racism in my own thoughts shouldn't be a concept or something to read about or even think about in any point in time, that is how racism is a thing. There's articles and newspapers and social media about it, if people disagree with it then it should be banned instead of continue talking about it and feeding in jokes or lies on racism. Racism is not a thing and you can take that how you want. Everyone is the same, everyone is equal as everyone else on the earth. We are the ones who provoke it. We are the ones to stop it .

1uzid said...
1uzid, Daytona, Florida
Morgan, Racism in my own thoughts shouldn't be a concept or something to read about or even think about in any point in time, that is how racism is a thing. There's articles and newspapers and social media about it, if people disagree with it then it should be banned instead of continue talking about it and feeding in jokes or lies on racism. Racism is not a thing and you can take that how you want. Everyone is the same, everyone is equal as everyone else on the earth.

angelinamartinez03, Daytona Beach, Florida
i meant shouldn’t be put down*

sedrenam said...
sedrenam, Daytona Beach, Florida
sedrena- I agree that until this day we have a problem with racism . no matter the color of your skin , or the way you look everyone deserve to be treated the same . In life , you never know what another person is going through . If you think tearing someone down to make yourself feel better is the right way , it's not . The saying "when life knocks you down you get back up" . life will never be fair , however , we can come as one . we all are humans no matter the race or form . we all have a choice , we can stop racism . just because others do it does not mean we have to be like them .

angeloquendo28, Daytona Beach, Florida
Reading has a lot to say against racism, I know it shouldn't be easy to be of color, or that there are people who discriminate against you or be of color without thinking what you are doing to the person, you have to change the mentality since we are all human and the color of iel has nothing to do with everything we must have the same treatment and the same affection