Enlightening the Status Quo | Teen Ink

Enlightening the Status Quo

By Aude GOLD, Ouagadougou, Other
Aude GOLD, Ouagadougou, Other

Re/ C.E.O. Position at Foundation Rural Energy Services (FRES)

This company in Burkina Faso advances electrification in rural areas through establishing and supporting small-scale, commercial companies and energy projects.

“Let there be light.” – Book of Genesis

Located in West Africa, Burkina Faso is among the poorest countries in the world. Lack of electricity is responsible for many of this country’s social and economic issues. For example, numerous high school and university students who lack electricity at home are compelled to go out at night and study under street lights across a limited set of major (and paved) roads. Many students are wounded or killed by passing motorists, furthering doubts on the safety of our country and causing the departure of investment. It is no surprise that most foreigners are afraid to visit this country, which further shuts down potential markets and partnerships, negatively affecting our economy. Moreover, many people do not venture to go out at night because they anticipate dangers in the dimly lit streets which are themselves far outnumbered by uneven dirt roads without any lights at all. This reduces attendance to nightly events, limits enterprise, and hurts the economy.

In face of these difficulties caused by a dearth of electricity, I would, as Chief Executive Officer of FRES, install several solar-powered street-lights through partnerships with other companies across Burkina Faso. I would begin by proposing my project to the government and asking for a development grant. Then, I would nominate highly competent, experienced, and trustworthy officials within the company who would each be assigned to oversee a specific zone and partnership. We would start small, focusing on one province, and afterwards, we would electrify more and more areas, building up our energy grid until we connect all thirteen regions. Given the challenges of upgrading our infrastructure here, I think it would be reasonable, if not a little idealistic, to complete this initiative within ten years.

This project would require painstaking effort, but in the long run it would yield many benefits for our community and the company. For example, well-lit neighborhoods would increase public safety, which in turn would encourage greater attendance to nightly events and boost commercial opportunities in a host of local businesses. Moreover, the safety provided by electrified neighborhoods would appeal more to foreign investment, boosting the country’s actual economy. Also, since all the street lights would be powered by solar energy, there would not be many expenses beyond the production, distribution, installation, and maintenance of these devices. The benefits of my plan far outweigh these initial expenses, so let the light be!