True Love? | Teen Ink

True Love? MAG

True Love?by Anna Tudor, Wilmington, DEMiddle school and high school relationships boggle me. A couple goes out for two weeks and decide that they are in "love." Most of us don't even know what the word means. We've seen the movies and read the books, but do we really understand the awe and humility of true love? Teenagers try to simulate the feelings we see between Jack and Rose in "Titanic" and between Romeo and Juliet. However, we do not, we cannot realize what true love is.First of all, our relationships start out in the most obscure ways. A girl likes a guy (or vice versa), rumors fly and everyone finds out about it. Then, along comes a mutual friend who intercedes and forces one to ask the other out. The couple goes out for a while and then they begin to use the word "love." They use it so much that it becomes over-used and meaningless. A few months later, they have broken up and are dating others.Maybe I am being too particular about this, but I really do believe that we, as high school students, need to try to understand love. To me, true love is meritorious. Anyone who can experience that kind of perfection deserves a medal. Most people are only lucky enough to have true love once in their lives, but (and I apologize to all teenagers out there) it doesn't usually happen at age sixteen. Love does not come and go like a new trend; love is too big an honor to be taken for granted.I'll admit that love seems to have been on the decline during the last half-century. It used to really be "'til death do us part," but the new phrase seems to be "'til divorce do us part." Things go wrong in marriages and I understand that, but I feel that love has become less of a joining of hearts and more of a coalition of bank accounts. Love today is nothing like the romance novels. Most couples have an emptiness that needs to be filled. With what, you ask? Honestly, I have no idea.I have no idea because I have not yet experienced true love. I'm sure that it will be quite some time before I do and that does not bother me. I don't expect to meet my sou-mate for years and years - that is, if I'm lucky enough to find him. Yet many of my friends continue to search for him/her and, no matter how hard I try, I cannot convince my friends that looking for love in high school is useless. Now that I think of it, I feel looking for love any time is useless.To all teenagers searching for their one and only: true love will find us when the time is right and the time for us is not now. Have patience; it will happen. ?

WolfGurl PLATINUM, Not A Real Place, Indiana

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. –Josh Billings

Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.- George Carlin

A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. —Franklin D. Roosevelt

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

YES! nice!

I'm glad you can see it the same way I do, even before having experienced the feeling. I balieve that not just teens, but people, just don't understand it. It's like maturing. you do not know you're immature until you have already grown out of it. afterwords, you look down upon others who are like you were. I experienced love, and lost many friends because of it. However, it can't bother me, because she loves me back the exact same way. I feel like the luckiest 14-year-old in the world... I might have had self esteem issues, yes... but then there was her... Perfect... I'm glad you wrote this, and I'm going to share this with "her", too. Thanks for readin', lildrummerdrew