Loss of Innocence | Teen Ink

Loss of Innocence

February 28, 2019
By MCBrown BRONZE, Austin, Texas
MCBrown BRONZE, Austin, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The sudden realization that your childhood is gone is one of the toughest things about growing up. You are never able to have that freedom again. They say as you get older you have more freedom and opportunities, but I find them limited. By the time most people reach high school they are clueless to their passions and future. Even though the best time to start those passions is when they haven’t found them. Childhood memories can be looked back at with nostalgia and longing for those freedom filled years. The years when no one worried about looks or the way they acted. Growing up strips children of their self confidence during the time most people call puberty. The crazy blonde haired girl who sang at the top of her lunges is now the dirty blonde quiet girl in the corner trying to lose herself to a book. It’s almost like her personality darkened like her hair. The oblivious air surrounding the early years of our life shelter us from harsh and dreadful events creating a happy childhood. Kids mainly remember strong emotions from their past. Most of them are happy and cause the nostalgia feeling. Some memories are like dreams flickering in and out. No matter how hard we try we can’t reach those dreams that are faintly there. We are left to reminisce in those mysteriously happy years. It’s like touching a ghost. They feel like familiar friends causing us to run back to those times. The better times.