Julius Caesar | Teen Ink

Julius Caesar

By Lydia_Raney BRONZE, Marshall, Missouri
Lydia_Raney BRONZE, Marshall, Missouri

In the playwright of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare, many people believe that most of the events are similar to the real death of Julius Caesar. Who some referred to as the dictator of Rome. In Shakespeare's play the citizens of Rome, especially the poor, seemed to almost praise him. They even had parades to celebrate him because of his influences and help with not only the poor but, veterans, and many more. This is not only said to be true in Shakespeare's play but, in the actual events, as well. It is given that Caesar was highly liked by the citizens of Rome and he loved Rome and its citizens just as much. They thought he was brave and did a lot for them. On the other hand there were multiple people part of the senate, known as the conspirators that thought he was doing wrong for Rome and had a plan to get rid of him. In this paper, I will argue the merits of killing Caesar vs. allowing him to live, while connecting the themes loyalty and betrayal to Julius Caesar, throughout. With references from Shakespeare's play “Julius Caesar” and other online sources.

One of the main conspirators who plotted the death of Julius Caesar who is named Brutus, was actually close to Caesar. According to the source “Brutus the Younger” due to Caesar’s attempts to achieve greater power for himself put him at greater odds against the Roman senate. Brutus eventually came to oppose Caesar and fought against him. Thus, being persuaded by a man named Cassius, along with others conspirators in the senate. Brutus thought that fighting against Caesar was him ultimately being loyal towards Rome, first. In Shakespeare's play, Brutus claimed many times that his loyalty to Rome overrules his so called friendship with Caesar. In the play I noticed there were times where Brutus was having an internal conflict with himself about the killing of Caesar. But, in the end he ultimately decided to betray his friend by planning to stab and brutally kill him because he thought that Caesar was and would continue to gain too much power. Which made it seem to others that Brutus and the conspirators may have just wanted the power to themselves. Leading people to believe that he wrongfully plotted to attack someone that he portrayed to others to be close to. By taking Caesar’s life and resulting in not only his own death but war, as well.

According to “History.com” the murder of Caesar took place at the meeting hall next to Pompey’s theatre. With the gruesome attack first led by Casca striking him in the neck, followed along by the other conspirators stabbing Caesar in his head, twenty-three times. Taking place shortly after noon, on the ides of March, which is commonly known as the mid-day of the month. As Shakespeare portrays it he was not only plotted against by the people in the senate but, his so called good friend, Brutus. Resulting in the fall of the Roman Republic. Causing chaos in Rome, multiple deaths, and war that lasted a long time. Leading me to the theme of betrayal. Brutus talks about doing what is right and claimed he and the conspirators were liberals, but then he decides to kill Caesar because he thinks Caesar is gaining too much power. In my opinion I think this breaks all rules of loyalty and friendship. Also, making Brutus and the conspirators look like they were the ones seeking for power. Which is understandable why Brutus ultimately decides to take his own life because of all the pressure that came after he made the irrational decision to kill Caesar, who many people thought he was loyal to and would never betray.  

Although, there are many different opinions about whether it was right or wrong to betray Caesar and the plans that came along with it. Some think that what the conspirators did was the right thing for Rome and the citizens. Saying that eventually Caesar would have gained too much power and would have become an ultimate dictator. Some also say that it is partially his own fault for his death because there were multiple times that he was given warning signs that his death was to come. For example, in Shakespeare's play it is shown that many of the senators hated him and he had a pretty good idea about it. He also called many of his former enemies to work for him. Meaning that it would make sense for them to want to turn on him for the wrongs of what he did before he came to power. It is hard for there to be much loyalty and no betrayal towards someone who was against Caesar at one point in time. It is even said that right before his assassination he dismissed his security force because of the trust in his senate. Not only was it almost obvious that Caesar was being plotted against but, he was even warned by being given a note explaining what was going to happen. Ultimately, some think that the loyalty Caesar gave was to the wrong people, making it his own fault and the result of his death

While, many others, including me, believe that the plotting and killing of Caesar was completely wrong and injustice because he wasn’t doing anything wrong towards Rome. He was actually bettering it by imposing many laws to help the lower income people and others, as well. Stating that it is wrong to betray someone the way Brutus betrayed Caesar, in Shakespeare's play. Leaving people to question Brutus’s real intentions and loyalty towards Caesar. With that being said, I think there are many different ways to look at and interpret Shakespeare's play, along with the actual events of Caesar’s death. With varying opinions and thoughts of whether Brutus’s actions were injustice or not. But, mine ultimately being that Brutus wrongfully betrayed Caesar, when he claimed to be loyal, which caused the fall of Rome and many other destructful events.

Works Cited Page

“Brutus the Younger.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 12 Feb. 2019.

Strauss, Barry. “Julius Caesar's Forgotten Assassin.” History, A&E Television Networks, 15 Mar. 2018.

This is an argumentative essay about the killing of Julius Caesar.