If There Were No More World Problems, Is Optimism Needed? | Teen Ink

If There Were No More World Problems, Is Optimism Needed?

January 18, 2019
By madisongeller GOLD, Austin, Texas
madisongeller GOLD, Austin, Texas
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When all the world has lost its doom and there is no more room for much more gloom; when those impoverished transform to be comfortable; when those without a home are able to sleep in a bed with a sturdy roof above their heads, what would the world as we know it become? Sure the earth itself would still radiate with crystal blue waters and bloom with lush green meadows. There would still be the loud horns of passing cars on the streets. There would still be people staying busy running from place to place, playing in their front yards, and exploring unknown wonders of this beautiful land we can call home. But finally, there would be no more hate in a place with so much love to give.


The days of the new world are always sunny. No more judgemental stares will be given and no more prejudice comments will be spoken. There will be no more acts of violence based on a different belief system whether political or religious. People can now feel comfortable to walk in the city alone and enjoy life as it should be.  Women are now unafraid of traveling wherever they desire without a man to keep them safe. Everyone smiles and waves as others walk past them. They stop and talk to strangers about anything and everything because they feel the urge to open up. There is nothing short of support and encouragement in all competitive aspects of life.  People are always happy for one another when there is success to be proud of. Help is now a four letter word that is now healthy rather than self degrading. Most of all, love is the common theme between all walks of life.


This newfound world may appear miraculous as one would see it on paper, but the truth is, solving the world’s problems doesn’t mean that one’s own personal problems would be eradicated with them. Personal problems are inevitable. There is no way around them. In this life, people still die, become diagnosed with cancer, argue over the simplest things, become depressed, and act arrogant. That’s just how the human race is. As much as one would like for this to change, it can not. Not without wiping the universe completely clean and starting over from scratch. Then, maybe personal problems would no longer exist--maybe they still would.


Personal problems go hand and hand with personal viewpoints or beliefs. Everybody in this world has a unique point of view on what is right and wrong or even in between. Because of this, who is to say that some people would not agree with how some or all of the world’s problems were solved? There is never one way to make every single person content. Someone is bound to advocate for change. That is how people are structured. Their brains are wired so that they are always thinking of new ways to make life better. Therefore, many people would want to change the way the problem was solved or maybe, some people might have not even thought that there was a problem to be solved in the first place. This could cause a lot of controversy which would require optimism to overcome.  Take the issue of global warming for example. I know many people who are strong advocates for driving electric cars, drinking out of reusable water bottles, and turning the sink off when you are brushing your teeth. On the other hand, I also know many people who do not believe in global warming and do nothing to prevent or stop it. There are always two sides to every issue. Even though people may not agree with each others viewpoints, if they have optimism, the world might just be a little happier.


In whatever world one lives in, she will always have problems of her own. She will need to overcome those problems to continue to live her life. Optimism is the best way to come out of a situation in which a person may not like. There is always a need for positivity. Whether it’s overcoming an obstacle or simply continuing to lead a happy life. Human beings should choose joy so that they can become the best versions of themselves and live a life problem free for as long as humanly possible.  And whenever another problem arises, they should think optimistically to overcome their problem again. And the cycle should continue for ever and ever as long as humans shall live.


The author's comments:

This is a reflection on why optimism is always vital in human survival.