Death By Nightmares | Teen Ink

Death By Nightmares

By BrittneyCloud SILVER, albuquerque, New Mexico
BrittneyCloud SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Dont tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

I’d always thought of the dark as a shelter. I felt secure and alone. A place I could sit back and think without any interruptions. It numbed any pain I felt because of the outside world. A place to rest and forget. Somewhere I could go to feel empty; hallow. Now I was afraid of it. The dark wrapped around me like a caterpillar in its cocoon. I never let my nightmare get to the point where I would die, but unlike a caterpillar in a cocoon, I wouldn’t emerge a butterfly.

Instead, I would be released a lifeless corpse. My limp body would fall to the ground, cold and pale. My eyes would be trapped open. Glazed over, and would never again show any kind of emotions. My breath came out in wild gasps, as I continued to struggle. Tighter and tighter I was being squeezed. Just when my chest could no longer expand, and my lungs were screaming for more air. I forced myself awake, jerking upright. I placed a shaky hand over my mouth to keep from screaming out loud.

Sweat rolled down my face and I took several deep calming breaths. My room was dark, and it only reminded me of the reoccurring nightmare. My one safe haven has now become my worst nightmare. It was now my death. I leaped from my bed, and flipped on the light. I blinked in the brightness trying to make my eyes adjust so I could scan the room for whatever haunted me. As always, I found nothing. I don’t even know what I expected to find. I half expected to find a demon laughing at my misery from the shadows.

I believed in a higher power. How could there not be something? Higher powers for both good and evil, but I’d been raised by the evil. My parents brought no good into our home. Now, even away from them, evil stalked me like a lion would its prey. My grandmother was a kind, good hearted woman, but even she couldn’t keep them away while I slept. Maybe they would leave me alone if I cared more about life. But how could I? My dad is in jail for beating my mother, and my mom in rehab for drug and alcohol abuse.
That’s what confuses me.

People actually feel bad for me. Why would anyone feel bad for me? I’m not the one going around beating people I supposedly love. Nor do I turn to drugs or alcohol because I can’t handle what life dishes out to me. I feel like I get more sympathy then my poor old grandpa who could pass any day now.

“Knock, Knock.” Jesse said interrupting my thoughts.

“What do you want Jesse?” I hissed. I hated when he just barged into my room like he owned it.

“What’s with the light? It’s like two in the morning.” He complained, leaning against my dresser.

“I’m aware what time it is.” I snapped, even though I actually had no idea. “And I don’t really care. Nobody asked you to come in here.”

“Wow you’re grumpy. Want a cigarette?”

“You know I don’t smoke!” I glared at him. He just shrugged.

“Doesn’t mean I can’t offer. You could use one anyway. You’ve got some major mood swings. Do you think maybe you’re bipolar?” I ignored his question and watched him place a cigarette in his mouth. He began to twirl a lighter he had in the palm of his hand. Even though he hadn’t lit it yet, I became furious at him.

“Don’t smoke in here! Get outside with that crap. Have you completely lost your mind?” I swore under my breath, and snatched the cigarette from his mouth. I ignored his objection and tossed it out the window.

“That was unnecessary. See what I mean about the mood swings?” I glared up at him, and he grinned.

“You didn’t need it anyway.” I told him. He sighed, and looked away. Jesse is my half brother. We shared the same dad. But seeing as how our dad was in jail I couldn’t figure out why he hung around. I wish he would just leave already.

“Get out of my room.” I began to push, and then shoved him out the door. He turned around, about to complain, but I slammed the door in his face. Having the distraction out of my room, I suddenly was reminded of my recent nightmare. I shivered, and crawled back into bed. Of course, the light stayed on. It’s safe to say I didn’t sleep the rest of the night.

By morning I was exhausted. Not only did I hardly sleep, but the few hours I did manage to get were restless thanks to my unrelenting nightmare. Jesse and I now lived on my grandmother’s ranch. The judge ordered me here, and Jesse decided he’d tag along. To my disappointment my grandmother didn’t object. She had it in her mind he needed to be taken care of. The dude was nineteen for crying out loud. On top of that she had us up at the butt crack of dawn. We had a list of morning chores to complete before we went to school.

I pulled on my skinny jeans and a blank tank top with a red rose. As I was heading downstairs I pulled on my jacket.

“Good morning Bailey.” My grandma greeted. What’s good about it? “Breakfast is done. Go ahead and serve yourself.”

“Thanks grandma, but I think I’ll skip out on breakfast.” I squeezed past her and headed for the door.

“Bailey I swear you’re going to waste away to nothing one of these days. You hardly eat a thing.” she scolded. I rolled my eyes. I heard Jesse trying to hold back a chuckle. Sounding like he was choking on his food. But I shouldn’t get my hopes up thinking things like that. Wishful thinking can depress me. Actually is does depress me.

“I’ll grab an apple at school.” I promised with a fake reassuring smile. At least I was good at faking happiness these days. That or my grandma just didn’t want to see the truth. Either way she bought it, so I don’t really care which it is.

“You’d better. Now go do your chores since you’ve decided on skipping yet another meal.” I sighed, and pulled my hood up over my head. Three days grace blared in my ears as I headed for the barn.

I was on horse duty. I didn’t really mind it that much. Over the summer I had grown close to Outlaw. Outlaw is pretty much an asshole horse. He wouldn’t let anyone ride him, touch him, and he wouldn’t eat anything from anyone’s hand. Until I came along that is. For some reason he likes me, and for that same reason my grandma decided not to sell him. He followed me around as I mucked his stall. I guess you have some pretty bad issue in your brain when your best friend is an antisocial horse.

On another depressing note, I was worried about today. Jesse and I have recently transferred to a new school. Another new place where I could, once again, be named a freak. Not that I really cared, but it does tend to get old. It’s always the same. Same drama, same snobs, just new people, and really it’s more like new faces. The people are pretty much the same.

The difference this time is I won’t have my truck. I was pretty pissed about that. My grandma insists we at least try to care about nature. So, Jesse and I are stuck riding the big yellow bus. How fun. I tried to persuade my grandma to let me drive halfway and walk the other half, but she wouldn’t go for it.

“Why do you even go to school?” I asked Jesse while we waited for the bus. “Didn’t you already graduate?”

“Yeah I did, but I’m not staying on this farm all day. I’ll probably raid the town or something.”

“Whatever,” He smirked at me, and pulled out a cigarette. I side stepped away from him. I wasn’t about to let my lungs suffer because he was an idiot. Second hand smoke is supposedly worse for you anyway.

“Relax, I’m not going to light it.”

“Good. You would think by now you would learn to keep that away from me. You’re going to end up like my mom.” I muttered. Anger flashed in his eyes, but only for a second.

“I don’t do drugs Bailey. So I’ve had a drink before. One drink, sue me.

“Watch what you say. Maybe one day I’ll find a reason to sue you.” I said. He just laughed at me. I’m glad I amuse him.

“Here comes the bus. Be good at school Bailey.” he teased. He flicked his unsmoked cigarette in the grass, and stepped in the bus. I followed quickly, and slid into an empty seat in front of him.

“You don’t want to sit with me?” Jesse whispered, pretending to sound hurt.

“No I actually don’t want to sit with you, but thanks for the offer.” I ignored him when he said something else. I just watched the clouds drift lazily in the sky. I looked like it might rain later; which would excuse me of my afternoon mucking chores.

“Mind if I sit with you?”

“What?” I looked up to see a girl looking at me.

“I could sit somewhere else . . .” She mumbled looking down the row of seats.

“No, you can sit here. I just hadn’t heard what you’d said.”

“Oh. Okay,” she smiled awkwardly. Wow I must have sounded so stupid. I pulled out my headphones so I could hear her. If she decided I wasn’t freak and actually even talked to me again. Evidently she didn’t mind my stupidity. She twisted around in her seat to face me.

“Are you new?”

“Yup just moved into my grandma’s ranch.”

“I bet you’ll like it here. I’m Karli.”

“Bailey,” I said. It was weird having someone actually being nice to me, it never really happens. I wanted to figure out if it was an act, but she never got the chance to say more because the bus pulled up to the school. The air was cool and refreshing as I stepped out of the cramped bus.

“Have fun,” Jesse laughed, and headed in the opposite direction of the school.

“Where’s he going?” Karli asked. I hadn’t realized she’d stuck around.

“Couldn’t tell ya,”

“You know him though? I think he’s kind of cute.”

“Yea I know him, He’s my half brother.” I answered, cringing mentally at the thought of anyone thinking Jesse was cute.

“Oh, hmmm . . .” she looked down at her feet, kicking little pebbles around like something was bothering her.

“What?”

“He’s gonna be late for class on his first day.” she muttered.

I wanted to laugh out loud for that one. “He doesn’t go to school anymore. Jesse is nineteen so he already graduated high school.” I explained.

“Way out of my league.” she pressed her lips in a hard line. Thank God for that! I think really though she was out of his league. She deserved someone who wouldn’t play with her heart. Jesse most definitely would not care much about her. He doesn’t care much about anything these days. I guess I’ve become that way too. Since mom had to go, and dad taken to jail. I just shrugged.

“C’mon,” She pulled on my arm as she started to walk. “I’ll introduce you to some of my friends.”

“Alright,” I stuttered. I didn’t really do well with a lot of people. She did say some friends so maybe it was just one or two. I wanted to kick myself for saying yes so easily. I should have lied about having something to do in the office. Especially with all the stares I’m already beginning to get. How can everyone know I’m a new student? Isn’t high school full of new students all the time?
We weaved our way through the crowded hallways to the cafeteria. She started to lead us toward a particular table that was almost full of kids. This was only some of her friends? How many friends did one person need? This really didn’t seem like a good idea anymore. I wished I could find a way to escape.

“Hey Karli,” A guy greeted her. “Who’s your new friend?” He asked looking me up and down. I tried really hard to pretend I didn’t notice him do that.

“Guys this is Bailey. She just moved her with her grandma at that little ranch down near the creek.”

I stared at her blankly. I don’t think I ever remember telling her that.

“I know your grandma,” She stated seeing my confused look. “Plus where the bus picked you up silly,” She laughed and then continued. “Bailey this is Jack, Samantha, Mariah, Tristan, Jamie and Dominic. They’re my best buds.”

“Hey,” I almost whispered to them. This was awkward; I had no idea what to say to any of these people. They were obviously the ‘popular’ crowd. I didn’t really belong here, and I didn’t want to make myself look stupid; which eventually I would. Despite my efforts not to make eye contact with any of them, one of the boys claimed my gaze. I stared into his icy blue eyes, while he looked into my boring hazel. I think his name was Tristan, but I wasn’t sure. As soon as I could I ripped my gaze from his and didn’t look in his direction again.

At some point my schedule started to get passed around the table. I had at least one of them in every class. Aside from Karli I was extremely bummed about that. She was the only one who didn’t make me nervous. She was really easy to be around. As an added benefit she did most of the talking so I just had to listen. Karli got all her friends to agree to help me, which I didn’t want. Someone was going to meet me after every class so I wouldn’t get lost. It was a nice gesture, but it really bugged me. Did I wear ‘help me’ stamped on my forehead or something?

I thought it was so ridiculous, but Karli wouldn’t budge on the subject. I started to feel like they were just feeling sorry for me. Like the kids at my last school. The one person I thought was my friend turned out to only feel bad about my situation. She doesn’t talk to me now that I moved away from the area. I wanted to ask, but I didn’t want to offend anyone right away.

“Why are you wearing a hood?” Tristan asked, trying to get my attention back onto the group.

“Does it matter?” I defended. He only shrugged, and went back to talking to the girl I thoughts name was Samantha. When the bell rang for first period Jack was the first to walk me like a dog to class. We had science first, and I was grateful he didn’t ask me any questions. He was nice enough to sit next to me so I wasn’t alone, and he even offered to be my lab partner. I was thankful for that gesture considering half the class was asking if they could partner up with him. Nobody else would have given me a second look. Who wants to partner up with the awkward new girl?

Mariah met me next. Jack gave her a hug, and threw a wave goodbye at me. English was nice. They were in the middle of watching Romeo and Juliet. The dark was comforting, and nobody asked why I was in the class. Sam was next to meet me and Mariah walked with us most of the way. The two of them were chatting away while I walked quietly behind pretending to look interested in my schedule.

After a long first half of the day lunch was next. I was surprised to see Tristan waiting for me. I figured for lunch I would be meeting Karli after class. I was disappointed she wasn’t anywhere in sight. When I was free from the teachers view I threw up my hood. I wasn’t walking next to Tristan; he was in front of me leading the way.

“Are you going to tell me why you wear your hood up so much?” He slowed his pace to match up with mine.

“No,” I continued to look straight ahead, and not at him.

“You don’t like me very much do you?” I glanced at him for a short second, and looked away.

“I do, I just . . .”I trailed off. I never really told anyone anything. I wasn’t about to start with some nosey boy.

“Just what?” he asked.

“I’m not good at having friends. I’m socially awkward.” I told him, not really wanting to say any of this out loud. It just kind of slipped. He chuckled softly.

“Why do you think that?” I just shrugged not wanting to give him anymore answers. He didn’t deserve my trust anyway.

“I won’t tell anyone.” he promised.

“It doesn’t matter if you will or you won’t. I’m not telling anyone either.” I began to pick up the pace. I wanted to get to everyone else as quick as I could. I kind of remembered where the cafeteria was. I didn’t want to say anymore to him. He grabbed my arm, pulling me to a stop.

“Why?” he asked again.

“It doesn’t matter okay?” I snapped.

“What do you have to hide from everyone?”

“Nothing just leave me alone already!” I twisted out of his grip on my arm, and headed outside. Who’s gonna care if the loner new girl misses the rest of the day. They’ll probably just blame my parents for everything wrong with me. I headed off campus toward the little town. Maybe I could find Jesse. As much as he drove me insane he did help me forget about my problems with his annoying chattering. I wandered around aimlessly poking in and out of different stores that looked interesting from the outside. After a few hours I plopped down on a bench. My stomaching growling at me for not eating lunch before stomping off like a child not getting her way.

“Skip lunch?”

“Jesse,” I said turning around to see him grinning at me.

“What are you doing?” He asked nonchalantly sitting down at my side.

“Nothing,”

“Skipping school?”

I nodded placing my chin on my knees. He had no idea how much I hated school right now. I think this is the worse I have felt at any school.

“What happened?”

“Nothing, just drop it.”

“Fine,” he said throwing his hands up in surrender. I just sighed. Jesse asked a lot of questions, but at least when I asked him to stop he usually would.

“You can talk to me you know.” He stated suddenly.

“No I can’t Jess. Since when did you decide to be a caring big brother anyway?”

“I’ve always been Bailey. You just don’t pay attention to how the people around you are acting. You don’t notice me trying to be there for you.” he said quietly.

“No, Jesse, you haven’t. How does drinking and smoking prove you care? I’m not going to let myself get close to someone who is just going to end up like my mom. Or our dad even.”

“Bailey when have you ever seen me actually smoke a cigarette?” He asked annoyed. I opened my mouth to answer, but snapped it shut when I realized I’d actually never seen him smoke one. He just puts unused ones in his mouth all the time.

“Exactly,” he continued. “I only carry them around and offered so I could keep an eye on your habits. I didn’t want you to end up like your mom. If you ever said yes I probably would have smacked you.” he joked. I didn’t reply to him. Maybe it was possible Jesse did care. After a while of silence he began to speak again.

“You’ve been screaming in your sleep a lot lately. I wanted to ask you about it, but figured you probably wouldn’t tell me.

“I scream out loud?” I gasped. Here I thought I had been doing well at keeping myself quiet.

“Yeah you have. The first time scared the hell out of your grandma. I told her you use to do it a lot. Which was a lie; this is a new thing. I’ve been really worried about you.”

“Well don’t,” I pushed his hand away. “I’m fine. Everyone gets nightmares Jesse.”

“Whatever you say bailey. C’mon I’ll catch us a ride home so we don’t have to take that nasty bus.”

Jesse did find us a ride, though I don’t really understand how he found someone he could mooch off of in this small town. This guy seemed almost too happy to take us home. When we got to the ranch Jesse went straight inside, but I wasn’t ready to put on my fake happy smile just yet. Instead I lingered near the barn out where Outlaw and the other horses were kept till nightfall.

I ended up throwing a saddle on Outlaw and rode him down to an old creek Jesse and I had found back when we were younger. My mom had brought us here so Jesse could meet my grandma a few summers back. We were both much younger and much happier. I haven’t seen Jesse actually smile in a long time; neither of us has. Seemed like all that had been a dream. Now I’m stuck in this stupid nightmare of a life.

I heard Jesse calling me from a distance away. I didn’t particularly want him to find me at this place. So I jumped up and met him halfway down a hill. He was riding one of the other horses my grandma owned, but I didn’t really pay much attention to the other horses. Outlaw got all my affection.

“Where have you been?” He asked.

“Just exercising Outlaw since nobody else can do it. What do you want?”

“You’ve got a friend back at the house.” he sighed.

“Friend?”

“Ya, but I promised I wouldn’t tell you who it was. Guess whoever it is, is afraid you won’t want to see them if I told you.”

“Okay . . .” I said looking down towards the ranch. It was useless since I couldn’t actually see it. I had ridden off too far.

“I’ll help you get the horses put away.”

I nodded and followed him back to the house. It didn’t take us long to get back, and I was disappointed to find it was Tristan who was waiting for me. Jesse was right, if I had known it was him I probably wouldn’t have bothered to come back down. Then again I guess I can’t avoid him forever, and boys seem to be more persistent when you don’t want them around.

“Hey,” he mumbled looking at Outlaw.

“Hi,”

“Ummm . . . I just wanted to come and apologize. I was a little rude today.”

“You were rude.” I agreed, “But I forgive you.”

“Will you still not tell me?” he persisted.

“Look I need to put the horses away before it gets to dark. Just wait here.” I didn’t have any intentions of telling this dumb boy anything. I never gave into anyone, and I don’t think I ever will.

Tristan ended up offering Jesse and I his help. Turns out he has a ranch of his own so he knew how to deal with horses. He even helped me muck the stalls. All that time neither one of us said a word. I watched him work a few times. He was built well, and the kids in this town didn’t wear goofy cowboy boots and clothing like I’d expected. All in all he was a good looking guy.

“So,” He said breaking the silence. “Why do you think you aren’t good at having friends?”

“Because so far I haven’t made many friends, and the ones I did have were just fakes that felt sorry for my shitty life. I’m just a freak to most people, and frankly I’m beginning not to care anymore.” I explained.

“I don’t think you’re a freak.” he smiled easily at me.

“Don’t say what you don’t mean.” I grumbled. I won’t let myself be fooled. One boy can’t change who I am, who I’ve been.

“I’m not,” he frowned.

“Let me rephrase. Don’t do anything for me or say anything to me if it’s just out of pity. I’m tired of everyone feeling sorry for me.”

He pursed his lips. “Bailey I want to be your friend.”

I didn’t respond to him. Instead I sat on my floor and pulled my knees back up to my face. I didn’t even know how to begin to talk to him about anything. I’ve never been honest to anyone. I only told them what I knew would be enough to get them off my back. For some reason Tristan always wanted to know more. He pushed for information he didn’t deserve to know. He wanted more from me than anyone else I’ve ever known.

Plus I’m still undecided on the subject of friends. They were such a pain to have. It’s like having a puppy. Sure they’re fun and all, but they take so much effort to keep happy. They need more attention then I’m willing to give right now. I just don’t think I have it in me to be a good friend to anyone. I’d really only been around Jesse most of my life, and lately I’ve been a b**** to him. To keep him at a distance so he couldn’t hurt me the way my parents did. I couldn’t stand having anyone close to me anymore. The closer you keep people the easier it is for them to hurt you.

“Why are you so afraid of people?” Tristan asked casually. As if he didn’t actually care to know the answer.

I rested my chin on my knees before I answered him. “I’m not afraid of people.”

“Seems like it.” he argued.

“Well I’m not.”

“What are you afraid of then?” He seemed determined to force the answer out of me.

“I’m afraid of the fact that a person can leave you. No one knows how much that hurts better than me.” I clarified, “That’s why usually I don’t mind not having friends. You can’t hurt if you don’t have them.”

“That makes sense to a certain extent.” He agreed. “But I still think you’re wrong.”

“Am I?” I asked coldly.

“Partly,” He nodded. “It’s true that sometimes the people you keep close hurt you, but it’s also true that people close to you can help you deal with that hurt. True friends won’t hurt you, but will be there for you. You’re hurting by not having them because you’re wishing you did. You feel abandoned and alone, and you don’t have to feel that way. You shouldn’t feel that way.”

“You know nothing about how I feel.” I mumbled. I was trying really hard not to be mad at him. He was only trying to help no matter how aggravating it was.

“Maybe I don’t, but you ever think you’re not alone? Maybe someone does understand, maybe someone else has been through it.”

“If you’re talking about my brother, you’re wrong.” I whispered.

“I wasn’t. Though I’m sure he knows better than anyone else.” He paused for a second and sighed. “You’re a very distant person. I can tell by the way you carry yourself. Your hood can’t protect you from the outside world, and you shouldn’t isolate yourself.”

“I know you think you’re Doctor Phil or something, but you have no idea what you’re talking about. You should probably leave now it’s getting late.” I watched the floor as I spoke to him. I realize he’s trying to help, but it’s becoming hard for me not to be angry with him. It’s annoying to have someone telling you how you should and shouldn’t feel.

He stood up and left without saying another word. I hoped this time I got through to him. I wasn’t a person who should have any friends. I wasn’t ready to let anyone in.

Sleeping could not be avoided. I fought so hard against my burning eyes. The nightmare waited, and seeped through my mind as soon as I lost the battle.

I was in the dark again, but it was a little different. This time I was watching myself. As if my spirit was released from my body. My hair was sprawled across my face; I was sleeping. Movement caught my attention, and I watched as a man walked towards my bed.

I didn’t want to see anymore.

Jerking myself awake I flew up into a sitting position. I didn’t bother to turn on the light. I was too stunned to move. Someone moved towards me, and I shrieked automatically jumping away from whoever it was.

“Bailey it’s just me.” Jesse whispered in the darkness. I dropped to floor, relieved. I cried now that the fear took the place of shock.

“What’s wrong?” he asked sitting next to me on the floor.

“Nightmare,” I could hardly speak. My voice caught in my throat.

“What’s it about?” He urged. I shook my head, and buried my face in my hands. “Bailey you can tell me. Maybe it will help.”

“No, it’s nothing.” I gasped, “Just—just go away Jesse.”

“But—”

“Please,” I interrupted “I’m fine.”

“I don’t think screaming in the middle of the night for that past week is considered fine.”

“Jesse please . . .”

“I’ll drop it. If you need me I’ll be on your floor.” I couldn’t see his face in the dark, but I’m willing to bet he was smiling.

“No!” I protested. “This is stupid and ridiculous and annoying!” I complained.

“Anything else?” he chuckled.

“Ugh!”

“Good night Bailey.” He laughed laying a quilt down next to my bed. He left the room for a moment only to bring back a few pillows from his room. I rolled my eyes even though it was too dark for him to see.

“Sleeping on my floor won’t keep the dream away. I won’t feel comfortable enough to sleep just because your deluded enough to think your presence will make it all better.”

“Either way, I’m here if you need me. Talking could help you know.”

“No, talking will not help. You keep bugging me to tell you something you don’t even need to know.” I grumbled.

“If that’s what you think.”

“I think you should go sleep in your own room.”

“Well I know that I’m not going anywhere. So you can either tell me about your dream or go to sleep.”

I didn’t reply. I just laid my head against my pillow and sighed. Part of me wanted to tell Jesse about it. Maybe it’s possible he could help. Honestly though telling someone about a nightmare you can’t control really doesn’t seem like it would help anything.

“I just want to add something.” I said after a while of silence.

“Go ahead.” he answered. He sounded as if he’d almost been asleep. At first I felt bad for keeping him awake, but the guilt quickly vanished. He had a bed he could go sleep in if I was in fact bothering him. I hadn’t asked to be comforted and truthfully I didn’t need it.

“If you’re doing this to just try and be a good brother it’s not working. In reality it’s really just annoying.”

At first he said nothing. The room was filled with a silence that was almost worst then the idea of me just telling him. I could almost hear the breathing of my murderer in the corner of my room. I hadn’t fallen asleep had I?

“I just want to help get rid of the nightmare. If it means you begin hate me or whatever I’ll deal with it.” He said, proving I was still in reality. He sounded sincere, but he was playing the same game I was. I’m not stupid to believe his little act of chivalry.

“You’re so full of it.”

“Excuse me?”

“Who are you trying to fool? You never gave a s*** before. Why do you suddenly care about what I go through now?”

“Because I’m all you’ve got, and you’re all I’ve got. Both of us have been betrayed by our family. I’m becoming sick of you pretending you’re happy when you’re not. I can’t stand the screaming at night, and I can’t stand here every day and watch you die inside. Whether you believe me or not I don’t care, but I do know you’re headed down a rough road.”

“Take the road less traveled by.” I said sarcastically. He laughed out of frustration not humor.

“Bailey you aren’t even traveling on a road anymore. You’re just running through the forest trying to dodge everything you don’t see coming. You can’t avoid the trees forever.”

“Jesse, I don’t care what you think, or what you think you know. Just leave me alone there’s nothing you can do.”

“I won’t stop trying, good night Bailey.”

I didn’t argue with him anymore. I wanted the subject to be dropped. Jesse was very good with words, but I was very good at not falling for them. Despite my fear of sleep I was oddly comforted by the fact that Jesse was with me. Though, I’d never admit that to him.

My nightmare, unfortunately, picked up where it left off as soon as I gave into sleep. The same man crept, without a sound, over to my sleeping body. So quickly I almost missed it, he cupped his hand over mouth. I watched my eyes pop open in fear, but before I could see who it was he slipped a bag over my head.

That did it.

My eyes flew open, and before I could get myself under control I let out a scream. Jesse was already at my side, and I clung to him. I wish he’d turn the light on so I could scan my room to make sure the man wasn’t in it. The darkness made it feel like the man was hiding somewhere; waiting. Jesse didn’t say anything this time. He just let me cry and kept an arm around my shoulders. I was grateful for Jesse now. It was easier to try and calm myself down when someone was with me. I tried so hard to keep Jesse at a distance, but despite my efforts he still ended up an important person in my life.

“It’s okay, I’m here.” Jesse soothed. I’d begun to say his name out loud. I clamped my mouth shut, and bit down on my bottom lip. Maybe I was going insane. Maybe there was no way to avoid ending up like my mother. I shook my head in defiance. No, I would not end up like my mom no matter how bad my dreams got. I would never turn to drugs. That was simply not an option. Even though I knew I did rely on Jesse now for strength I wouldn’t be telling him my dream. I just have to hope that they would stop soon. How long could they honestly carry on for?

I laid my head back down, and pretended to sleep. I wanted Jesse to rest at least a little tonight. He wouldn’t sleep if he thought I was still awake. By morning I felt like I was the walking dead. My eyes burned, and were a light pinkish color. The dark circles looked like they were holding my eyes up. My legs felt like cooked noodles. I barely had enough strength to keep myself from falling on my face.

“My goodness Bailey you look awful.” My grandmother worried. “Are you not feeling well?”

“I feel fine, I’m just tired.” I tried to sound indifferent, but my words slurred together as if I was drunk. I didn’t like to make her worry. She was just too old. Even Jesse watched me as I hardly made my way around the kitchen. I wasn’t the least bit hungry, but I ate anyway. It made my grandma relax a little bit. Jesse followed me out when I started to make my way to the barn.

“I’ll do your chores.” he cut in front me and blocked my way.

“What? Why?”

“You’re exhausted you can hardly walk. I’ll do them just go wait by the bus stop and relax.”

“I guess so . . .” I agreed. “Are you sure?”

“Positive. You’ll need whatever strength you have left for school.”

I nodded and left him to feed the horses. Normally I would have objected, but I really was so tired. I wasn’t sure how I was going to get through the day. I made my way near the bus stop and plopped down into the grass. The ranch wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It felt like being as close to nature as you could get while still being home. It was peaceful. It made me wish my mom was here to enjoy it with me. I missed her. I missed her goofy smile when Jesse and I came home from school every day. She always made us cookies and milk to eat. When I was really little she use to sing to me before bed. When I started getting jealous of Jesse I asked if she would love him more, and she promised me I would always be her favorite. Life was great when Jesse and I were young. We were all happy and carefree. Then our dad started drinking.

At first we preferred it when he would drink. He was meaner when he was sober. So when he drank he would play games with Jesse and me. Sometimes he would even do something nice for my mom. When getting buzzed wasn’t enough for him anymore that’s when things turned bad. He would drink and drink and it started out with him yelling all the time. He would yell if anything displeased him. If Jesse wasn’t home early enough from his friends or if there was a dirty dish in the sink not rinsed off. It was easy to deal with for a while. Most of his anger went towards Jesse.

I remember the first day he hit my mom. He was angry because when I was upset I ran to her. He said it was like I wasn’t his daughter. That I ran to her too much because she brainwashed me. He said she didn’t deserve to have me as a daughter and he was going to take me away. When I yelled I loved mommy more he threw a fit. Starting breaking stuff around the house, and when my mom tried to calm him down he smacked her across the face with the back of his hand. Jesse was upset and he tried to call the cops, but he broke the phone in half. Jesse and he hated each other ever since that night.

He started hitting my mom more and more. After a few weeks he started leaving multiple purple and blue bruises on her arms and sometimes her face. Even as young as I was I knew it wasn’t a good thing, and I was scared. As Jesse and I got older Jesse got more and more violent with him. Instead of backing down he would get in our dads face. Finally Jesse decided to take action. When our dad started yelling at my mom Jesse pulled me with him into the back room. I didn’t object I was tired of watching our dad hurting my mom. He called the cops on him. It was only a matter of time before they responded and unfortunately for my dad he hit my mom right in front of the cops. They took him away that night.

For a while it got much better. Jesse and I were happy staying with my mom. Her bruises faded into a lighter color, and soon disappeared all together. I was too naive to see how much she was hurting though. She was doing drugs behind our back, and it was Jesse who found out first. When my mom knew I’d found out she started to do the drugs in plain sight. She didn’t bother to hide anymore, and she eventually stopped spending anytime with Jesse and I. Stopped cooking and cleaning and lost her job. One day while she was driving home from her drug run she was pulled over for speeding. She was caught with the weed in her car. Instead of taking her to jail they put her in rehab. That’s when Jesse and I moved here. Well I moved here and Jesse followed.

I let my thoughts wander back to a more peaceful place. I tried to focus on the past anymore. It only brought up emotions I’ve tried really hard to block out. Instead I listened to the birds chirping in the nearby trees. I could hear the horses whining out in the distance. Jesse would be putting them out in the pasture by now. The sun felt warm on my face and arms. Its brightness was comforting to me. I tended to shy away from any kind of darkness now-a-days. This stupid nightmare seemed to be taking over my life. A soft breeze blew, and the long blades of grass tickled my face.

That was the last thing I remember being aware of.

The next thing I heard was Jesse. I sat up a little too quickly. I heard Jesse laugh quietly at my side.

“Whoa, head rush.” I lifted my hand to my head. I felt a little dizzy.

“Stupid,” he laughed.

“Ha ha . . . What time is it?” My voice sounded thick with sleep. That stunned me for a second.

“Noon,”

“Noon!? There’s no way I slept.” I was mystified. I didn’t have a dream of any kind at all. Not that I remembered anyways.

“Yea,” he nodded. “I couldn’t make myself wake you for the bus. So I just sat here in case you needed me or something.”

“Huh,” I sat there for a second more before standing up. “Well I guess I’ll need my truck. Want a ride?”

“Sure,”

“I don’t think I want to go to school. I missed most of the day anyway.”

“That’s true where do you want to go?”

“Hmmm . . . Maybe I’ll save my truck for another time.”

“Good idea.”

“Member that creek we found? When we were younger?” I asked suddenly enthusiastic. He looked at me confused. Whether by my mood or my question I wasn’t sure. I spun around and darted for the barn. He still looked confused but he followed after me. I didn’t know where my sudden burst of energy came from, but it felt good. I had a saddle on outlaw and was pulling out storm when he walked in.

“What’s with you? Where did my quiet and dark sister go?”

Now it was my turn to laugh.

“I don’t know.” I shrugged. “I can’t believe you forgot about the creek we found. It’s one of my favorite places to be at.”

“Even though that’s memory you share with me?” He asked hopeful. And it was true I liked it because we found it together.

“Yes, I guess I like it because at the time we were close. Mom and dad were together and okay. Things were how they should be now.”

“We can still be close like that Bailey.”

“I’m not as sure as you seem to be. I have a hard time letting people in. You know that Jess.”

“I’m your brother. We should be close to one another. That’s how it should be. I won’t hurt you. You should know that.”

“You mean the same way mom couldn’t hurt me? Or our dad couldn’t? The two people who should care the most, and they left us alone and bleeding. You tell me how I am supposed to recover from that feeling?” Despite how hard I tried to keep from crying the tears leaked out. They rolled down my cheeks without any hope of ever stopping. Maybe I am a little bipolar.

“But you weren’t left alone. I’m here and I was left alone too. I think I was put on this earth to help you heal and trust again.” his voice was gentle.

“Or maybe I’m here to show you that this is reality. People are mean and heartless. Life sucks and then we die.”

“My melodramatic sister is back.” he teased. Even as the tears continued to roll down my face, I couldn’t keep from smiling. He smiled a little too.

“So hopeless little sister remind me of this creek we found.”

We spent the rest of the day down by the creek. He remembered it as soon as he saw it. I knew he would. We talked a lot about the past and how things use to be. I avoided any talk about my nightmare, and he didn’t really bring it up at all. We talked a little about the trouble he use to get us in. It wasn’t all that long ago we were happy, but to us it seems like a different lifetime.

I tried not to mope but I was also trying not to let Jesse in on the fact that I did trust him, and I did need him. I laughed and smiled when I thought I should, and after a while I found that my laughing wasn’t an act. That scared me the most; almost as much as my nightmare scared me. I could feel everything in my body screaming to trust him. But I just couldn’t let myself. The ride back to the ranch was quiet. Our pace was slow. Jesse offered to put both horses away but when outlaw tried to kick him I had to take over.

“Stupid horse,” he muttered while pulling storm into his stall for the night.

“No he’s actually very smart. He’s just like me; he’s smart not to trust anyone.” I noted and smiled slightly.

“That means there’s still hope for you.”

“What do you mean?” I frowned.

“Outlaw trusts you, and you trust him. It’s a good start I guess.”

My jaw dropped open, but I got a hold of myself quickly. “You’re wrong . . .”

“You think?” he mused.

“Mmm-hmm . . . see Outlaw and I don’t trust one another we tolerate each other’s company. The same way I tolerate your annoying butt.”

“I can deal with that. Like I said it’s a start. You’re on the verge of being healed.”

“Right, just keep on believing that one. I wish you the best of luck on the outcome of that belief.” I teased.

“I don’t need luck, just tolerance.” I pursed my lips for a moment and decided it was a waste of time to try and change his mind. I just shrugged and turned for the house. My grandma was freaking out in my ear as soon as I walked into the door.

“Where have you and your brother been? I hope you didn’t drive that filthy truck anywhere around town!”

“Relax grandma we took the horses out today. They needed some exercise, and Jesse was with me the whole time.”

“Well next time you need to tell me.” her voice sounded more relaxed and less frantic. “You have some company; I sent them up to your room.”

“Them?” Who could possibly want to see me? Aside from Mr. Nosey Tristan that is. Jesse walked in and noticed my puzzled look.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, coming to my side.

“Nothing, come with me.”

“Where too?” now he wore the puzzled look.

“My room, it seems I’ve got company.”