The Guardian | Teen Ink

The Guardian

By MosesBanford BRONZE, Caldwell, Idaho
MosesBanford BRONZE, Caldwell, Idaho

Author's note:

I am an aspiring author, and recently attended BYU's Young Author's Academy. I mainly write Sci-Fi and Thriller stories. Aside from writing I enjoy composing music and playing the piano.

Roaring sirens filled the halls. Alexander awoke to Isaac vigorously shaking him.

“Come on, come on we have to go.”

Hastily Isaac pulled Alexander to his feet, and quickly joined a group of children rushing down to the cellars.

“What’s happening?”

“Bombers.”

“Bombers?”

“Yes, now come one we need to go!”

The children crammed into the cellar. A guard immediately slammed the door shut. Cries and wails echoed through the room as the children shivered in the darkness.

Suddenly, the ground shook. The walls trembled. Dust fell from the ceiling. Faint explosions could be heard in the distance. The cold air became tense, the children’s muscles froze. Each one wondering if the next explosion would cause the ceiling to cave in. The bombing continued for three hours.

Minutes after the explosions had ceased, the door flung open. In the doorway, a guard held up his gun, ordering the children to leave. The group rushed to the main hall, to join the rest of the trembling children, still shaken from the bombings. Father stood on the high balcony, ready to address them.

“We have a busy day today, lots to be done, and since we are already behind, there will be no time for eating, rations will not be provided.”

Alexander’s heart fell. His body was thin and bony. He ate too little, and worked too much. It wasn’t healthy.

“We will work all day, and will not stop working until we meet our quota. Understood?”

“Yes Father” The group of children replied in unison.

“Good. For today’s assignments, Ones will be in section A. Twos in section B, and Threes in section C. Fours and Fives will be in the factory. You’re all dismissed.”

The crowd dispersed. Alexander walked onto the elevator along with the other Twos, and descended down to section B.

When he arrived, he found his pickaxe, and began working. Isaac joined him.

“Alex, there’s something I’ve been meaning to talk to you about.”

“What is it?”

Looking down the mine, Isaac made sure no guards were nearby. He then pulled Alexander close , “Listen. Me and some others have been plotting an escape.”

Alexander looked at him skeptically.

“Escape?”

“We discovered a hole in the guard’s shift, and if we time it just right, we can get past the outer walls, assuming you can climb it quickly?”

Alexander nodded, “But what about the barbed fence?”

“Petra stole some parts from the factory. She managed to craft some bolt cutters.”

“Food, and weapons?”

“That’s the thing. We don’t know how to breach the shed without being caught.”

Alexander stopped mining, and began to think.

“What about the chaos after the bombing? The guards will have left the shed.”

“You’re right. We just need to stay unnoticed while the others go down to the cellar.”

“Where will we go?”

“Out of Vegas. Find the nearest populated place. Someone may be able to help us out there.”

Alexander shook his head, “No. They’ll be too afraid The Brotherhood will kill them for having us.”

“Not everyone’s afraid. There are people out there, fighters, rebels, we just need to find them.”

___________________

The sirens blared once more. Alexander’s eyes flashed open. It had been a month since the last bombing, and The Brotherhood had come back for more. The rest of the children evacuated down to the mines, while he waited, unnoticed, in a dark corner of a room until they were gone. 

Carefully, he peeked out of his room into the empty halls. One by one, familiar heads peeked out. The group, consisting of Alexander, Isaac, Petra, Daniel and Peter, rushed towards the shed. Using a pickax stolen from the mine, Peter broke the lock, and the five began raiding the shed, of food, medical supplies, and weapons.

Together, they sped towards the outer wall, quickly throwing their stuff over and scaling it with immense speed, just as they had practiced. Once over the wall, they picked up their stuff and rushed towards the outer barbed fence.

Suddenly, a bright explosion lit up the sky in a frightening manner, followed by a loud boom. As Petra quickly began cutting a hole in the fence, another explosion went off, shaking the escapees  to their core. The explosions weren’t too far off. Quickly they squeezed through the breach in the fence and began speeding away from the camp. The ground beneath them quaked as more explosions went off.

Abruptly, Alexander’s hearing suddenly went out as he was thrust forwards. The last thing he remembered was his face crashing into the harsh sand below. 

___________________

When he awoke, he was inside a cave. His forehead was bleeding, his ears ringing. Slowly he sat up. The others stood at the  mouth of the cave, watching  Father’s sanctuary as it burned before their eyes. There was no going back.

___________________

Three decades later

___________________

Daniel. That was the only word carved into the stone grave buried into the Earth. It had been three days since his passing. Alexander and Peter stood over the grave.

“Who killed him?” Alexander asked, his voice harsh.

“The Brotherhood.”

“Was he with a child?”

“No.”

“Why’d they kill him?” Alexander’s voice was harsh.

Peter stared at the floor. Seeing the sorrow on his old friend’s face, Alexander shifted from being angry, to compassionate.

“I’m sorry.” His voice was softer.

The two stood in silence for a moment, reliving past moments with their friend, their brother.

“It’s my fault.”

“Peter, don't say that.”

“You don’t understand. I had sent Daniel to find something.”

“What?”

“An extraction point. I had heard rumors that The Underground would be sending a vessel to this specific location and then on to Haven.”

“The Underground? As in ‘The Underground’ Isaac and Petra went in search for? Peter, it's not real. They died searching for that fantasy”

Peter pulled a piece of paper from his coat.

“It’s real. ” Peter handed Alexander the paper, “Daniel died, recovering this for me.”

Shocked, Alexander examined the paper.

“Alex, I can’t keep Luna safe in the basement forever. He’s five years old, he can’t handle being trapped down there, it isn't healthy. And we both know I can’t give him up to the Father’s sanctuary.”

Memories flooded through Alexander’s mind. Falling asleep to the soft cries of hundreds of lonely children. Hearing the screams of other kids, being punished in Father's office. Gasping for air inside the deep, dark mines, searching for precious ores inside the Earth.

“At the Haven he will be safe, protected, and not harmed.”

“How will you get there?” Alexander asked, folding up the paper and handing it back to Peter.

“I found a truck. We’ll leave Thursday. It’s only a two-day drive.”

Alexander began to see Peter was right. It was the only way.

“I have some extra supplies, I’ll bring it to your house the day after tomorrow.”

“Thank you Alex.”

The two shook hands.

“Be safe.”

“You too.”

The two parted ways, back towards their places of refuge.

___________________

The next day, Alexander left his place of refuge to hunt. After four hours of waiting in the hot sun, he had managed to shoot a stray coyote. This would provide at least a week's worth of food, if he rationed it right. He began to head home when he suddenly heard machine gunfire from behind him. Instinctively, he spun and dropped to the ground, hands over his head.

“Put down your gun.” The Reaper growled.

Alexander obeyed, and carefully set the shotgun onto the ground. Slowly, he rose to his feet.

“What’re you doing out here?” The barrel of the gun steadily pointed at Alexander's heart.

“Hunting.”

“What’s that you got there?” The Reaper gestured to the dead coyote.

“Coyote.”

The Reaper licked his lips.

“Give it here.”

Slowly Alexander lifted the coyote off his shoulders and began to approach the Reaper. The Reaper reached out with his empty hand. Alexander carefully handed the coyote to him. That’s when he striked. Without warning, Alexander snatched the barrel of the gun and shoved it away from him, the bullet’s that followed crashed into the dust beside him. 

With all his strength, Alexander punched the Reaper hard in the face. Without remorse, Alexander followed with a swift blow to the chest and gut. The Reaper stumbled back, his grip of the gun loosened. Seeing this opportunity, Alexander snatched the gun, ripping it from the Reaper’s hand, pointed the barrel at his chest, and shot the Reaper point blank.

The Reaper fell to the ground, gasping for air. The clothing around the wound turned blood red. The Reaper coughed, staring at his wound in terror. Groaning, his head fell back, and his body became limp.

Taking a deep breath, Alexander retrieved the coyote and shotgun, and began making his way back home.

______________

The next day, before the sun had even risen out of the horizon, Alexander set off to Peter’s house with the promised medical supplies, and food cans along with a knife in his belt and a shotgun resting on his shoulder. The dead coyote sat inside a brown bag strapped to Alexander's back. It was a bountiful kill, and although it would have provided many delicious meals for the next week, Peter, along with his wife, Leah and their child, Luna, would need it more on their perilous journey. The sky was dark. Alexander did not bring a torch, or anything to light his path, for light attracted others, others who were usually unfriendly.

He was about a mile from Peter’s house when he saw the smoke billowing in the sky. Alexander burst into a wild sprint. The house was engulfed in flames. He could hear Leah screaming for help inside. Three Reapers watched as the house burned. Alexander speedily cocked his shotgun and killed two of the Reapers, the third managing to escape. 

Without a second thought, he dropped his supplies and rushed into the burning building. Inside, he found Peter lying dead on the floor. Leah, Peter’s wife, was trapped, her leg stuck under a large beam. Wailing next to her was Luna, her child. Immediately Alexander grabbed the beam and lifted it off of her leg, burning his hands in the process.

With Leah slung over his shoulder, and Luna in his arms, he burst out of the house. Setting Leah and Luna down on the ground, he snatched the med kit from his supplies and began patching up Leah’s wounds, but began to see how fatal and severe they were. Luna tightly clung to her. After attaching a splint to Leah’s broken leg, Alexander rushed to Peter’s truck. Hopping inside, he started the car. Speedily he carried Leah and Luna into the truck and began driving away. Leah fell unconscious.

“Is mom ok?” Luna asked, his voice shaky and scared.

“Yes. She’s just resting.”

“Where are we going?”

“To someone who can help her.”

He stopped an old house, the roof filled with holes, but the structure otherwise unharmed. Peter jumped out of the car and carried Leah towards the front door, Luna following close behind. He began banging on it.

“Michael! Michael, I need your help!” 

The door opened, and an old man with gray hair was standing in the doorway.

“Alex, what are you…” his eyes found Leah. Quickly he stepped aside and Alexander rushed in.

“Set her on the couch, what happened?”

“There was a fire. Her leg is broken, bad wounds are scattered around.”

Michael began searching through the closet gathering medical supplies. Michale’s wife walked into the room.

“Michael what’s going on?” She saw Luna.

“Is that a child?” She rushed up to Luna and embraced him, “Oh sweetie. It’s going to be ok.”

Michael, the old man, rushed to Leah’s aid and began assessing her wounds. Martha, Michael’s wife, looked at Alexander.

“She has a child?”

Alexander nodded.

“My poor boy.” She kissed the child on the forehead, “What’s your name?”

“Luna.”

“Oh, what a pretty name. I’m Martha.”

After thirty minutes had passed, Michael finished attending to Leah’s wounds and gave her some medication.

“Is she going to be ok?” Alexander asked.

“Under my care and with enough rest, yes, she will.”

“Thank you, Michael.”

Michael stared at Luna, who was being told stories by Martha.

“A child? Why bring a child into this world?”

Leah woke up, and coughed, “Alex, Alex?”

Alexander rushed to her side.

She reached in her pocket and pulled out a cinged, but readable piece of paper, the same paper Peter had shown him that had the Extraction point located on it.

“Alex, you must take him.”

Alexander accepted the piece of paper.

“They can send him to safety. But I can’t take him, not like this, not without Peter.”

Alexander took her hand, “Leah, Leah I promise. I will protect him. I swear, he will reach the extraction point.”

“Thank you. Thank you.” She then slipped back into sleep.

“What’s that?” Michael asked, gesturing towards the piece of paper.

“An Extraction point. The Underground is sending a vessel there to ship children to Haven.”

“I thought the Underground was a myth, a false hope.”

“Not according to this.”

“When will you leave?”

“As soon as possible. According to this, the vessel leaves in three days, and the sooner he is to safety the better. Can you take care of her while I’m gone?”

“Yes. of course.” Michael said, nodding, “Before you go, I got some spare gas tanks in the back, I can give you some, to help your journey.”

“Thank you Michael.”

“Of course.”

Michael and Alexander left to fetch the gas tanks. As they were fueling up the truck, Leah woke up again, and asked for her son. Luna rushed to her side, his eyes watery.

“Luna. Luna my sweet boy, I need you to go with Alex. He’s going to take you to a special place, where you’ll be safe, and with other kids like you.”

“Are you not coming?”

“No, I have to stay here, to heal and rest. But don’t worry, Alex will protect you. He will not let anything happen to you.”

Luna began to cry and tightly hugged his mother. Tears began to fall down Leah’s cheek.

“It’s going to be ok. I’ll see you again, I promise.”

Alexander walked into the room.

“It’s time to go.”

Luna tightly hugged his mom.

“I can’t leave you. I can’t leave you mom.”

“It’s going to be ok. He’ll protect you. Now you have to go.”

Alexander gently picked up Luna, his face shiny with tears.

“I love you Luna, don’t ever forget that. I’ll see you again.”

Alexander carried Luna to the truck and laid him in the back seat. He then hopped into the truck and began driving away. Luna watched out the window as the house disappeared into the distance. He banged on the window, crying out for his mother. After an hour, he stopped. His face red and his eyes puffy.

“When will I see her again?”

Alexander turned and looked at his sweet eyes, they returned his gaze to the road.

“Soon. I hope.”

_______________

The Reaper stumbled into Victor’s office, the Sentinels close behind him. He tightly clutched his bleeding arm, gasping for air.

“What is this?” Victor sighed, closing The Covenant and setting it down on his desk. The Sentinels glared at The Reaper, who worriedly looked at Victor.

“There was no way they could have escaped.”

Victor rubbed his head, “Not again…”

“The father is dead, the mother must be too-”

“Must be? You didn’t stop to confirm her death?”

“No, but I didn’t need to, the house was burning-”

“Burning?” Victor shook his head, “Ritual three I told you ritual three! That is not death by fire!”

“It doesn’t make any difference how we kill the kids!”

Victor grabbed The Covenant, and waved it in front of the Reaper’s face.

“This is what we are built on, without this, we are nothing.”

“That book is nothing but an excuse. Unlike you, I don’t need to tell myself I’m acting for God before I kill.”

Victor glared at The Reaper, and he made a motion with his hand. The Sentinals suddenly grabbed the Reapers head and bashed it against the desk. The Reaper groaned in pain while gripping his head.

“You insult The Brotherhood.” Victor spit on The Reaper, “Did you at least kill the kid?”

The Reaper continued to groan while gripping his bleeding forehead. 

“Well?”

“Yes.” The Reaper panted.

“Did you see him die?”

“Yes.”

Victor scoffed while shaking his head, “You dirty liar.”

“He couldn’t have escaped. The house was crumbling-”

“How’d you get that wound?” Victor interrupted.

The Reaper avoided eye contact.

“Was there a third party?” Victor’s eyes narrowed.

“One guy. Shot the others. I escaped. He ran into the building.”

Victor sighed and leaned back in his chair.

“I want a hunt to begin for the boy, and this man.” Victor told the Sentinels, who nodded. He then stared at the Reaper.

“And you.” Victor growled, “If I see your face in here again I’ll shoot it.”

___________________

Alexander and Luna traveled all day across the harsh desert of Nevada. Luna fell asleep halfway through the car trip, his face wet with tears. Since the car lights were broken, and the darkness was too thick to see, Alexander parked the car when night came. He sat in the driver's seat, keeping himself awake, shotgun laying across his chest while Luna slept. He stayed vigilant the entire night. He would protect the child  until they arrived at the extraction point.

Once the sun peeked over the horizon, they continued their journey, making one stop short stop to fill up the truck with some of the gasoline Michael had given them. Luna stared out the window, amazed at what he saw.

“It’s so weird outside.” 

“Really? There are much more beautiful places than this, or so I’ve heard.”

“Wow.”

There was a pause of silence.

“Why aren’t there more kids like me around?”

“Because bad people go out and hurt them. But there will be other kids like you at the place I’m taking you.”

Suddenly, something caught Alexander’s eye. A large jeep was driving not far off from them. It was coming closer. A large red cross was painted on the side.  Alexander’s face went pale.

“Are those the bad people?”

The jeep began chasing them. A Reaper’s head peeked out of one of the windows, along with a machine gun.

“Get down!” Alexander shouted.

Luna laid across the seat as gunfire rang out. Bullet’s punctured the back window. Luna screamed. The jeep sped up and bumped the back of the truck. Alexander began to swerve. He began weaving back and forth down the road as bullets flew past them. Speeding up, the jeep pulled up beside them. 

Bullets flew out from the Reaper’s machine gun, shattering the side windows. Alexander ducked, and spun the steering wheel to the left, making the truck ram into the jeep. The jeep spun off road, but regained steering rather quickly and continued to chase them.

Alexander grabbed the shotgun, and cocked it. The jeep drove up beside them once more. Alexander aimed the shotgun and fired, killing the Reaper with the gun. In response, the jeep banged into the truck causing it to veer uncontrollably off the road and collide with a large rock. Alexander’s head smashed onto the steering wheel, immediately he lost consciousness.

________________

Alexander’s eyes flashed open. Panicked, he looked around himself. His head throbbed. His wrists were tightly tied together behind his back. He was lying next to the jeep. Luna was being tied to a pole above a pile of wood to be burned to death.

There were three Reapers, and a Priest, a higher ranked member of The Brotherhood. The remaining gasoline sat next to the wood. Desperately, Alexander searched for ways to escape. The sun was slowly setting on the horizon.

“Why don’t we just burn him now?” One of the Reaper’s asked.

“Not until the sun sets.” The Priest replied, clinging to The Covenant.

“What difference is that going to make?”

“That is our ritual. When by fire, it is to be conducted at night.”

“Why didn’t we just shoot him? This is an awful lot of hassle for one kid.”

“You’re asking a lot of questions regarding my judgment, I am curious, concerning your loyalty, and faithfulness.”

The Reaper immediately turned to face the priest, worried, “No need for that, I’ll shut up. My apologies.”

As the sun gradually disappeared under the horizon, the Reapers cooked some food over a separate campfire and ate. Alexander began attempting to break free of the not, failing. Quietly, turned onto his side and reached for the knife in his belt. As he did, the Reaper’s began to drench the wood in gasoline. The Priest opened The Covenant and approached Luna.

“What is your name?” He asked, his voice harsh and cold.

“Please don’t hurt me.”

“What is your name?”

“I don’t want to die, please!”

The Priest angrily slapped Luna, “What is your name boy!”

“Luna.”

The priest stepped back, “Get the match ready.”

Alexander grabbed the knife and slipped it out of his belt. Stars began to appear in the dark blue sky. Night had arrived. The Priest began to read from The Covenant. Speedily Alexander opened the knife and began cutting the rope.

“Luna, being under the age of sixteen, I sanction your life to be stripped from you, by the way of fire, that your death will be added to the multitude of those before…”

Alexander began to cut faster.

“... concerning the final law, given by God, for your wickedness, and cunning to be wiped clean from this earth.”

The priest closed the book. Alexander was only halfway through the rope. He began to cut faster. One of the Reapers handed him a match, which he immediately lighted.

“All hail The Brotherhood.” The Priest declared.

“All hail The Brotherhood.” The Reapers shouted in unison. The Priest tossed the match onto the wood. Alexander gave one last violent slash at the rope, slicing through it, as well as the skin on his wrists.

Immediately he jumped to his feet and rushed towards the Priest, stabbing him in the back of his neck. Grabbing the Priest’s gun, he hastily shot the other Reapers, using the Priest as a shield. He leapt onto the large fire, burning the soles of his shoes, and immediately sliced the ropes off of Luna’s wrists and threw him off of the fire. Alexander jumped out of the fire and rolled on the sand to extinguish the flames which had ignited on his clothes. He laid on the sand, panting. Slowly he sat up and approached Luna who was lying on the sand shaking. Luna jumped to his feet and tightly hugged Alexander.

“Luna, I’m so sorry. You’re safe now. It’s ok. I’m so sorry.”

The two sat by the fire, Luna refusing to let go of Alexander. Eventually however, Luna fell asleep. When the sun rose, Alexander and Luna drove off in the jeep. They were not far from the extraction site.

“Were those bad guys?” Luna asked.

“Yes.”

“Why aren’t the good guys fighting them?”

“Because there aren’t a lot of good guys around to help right now.”

“What’s all that?”

Luna pointed to a billow of smoke.

Alexander sped up.

The smoke was coming from an airplane. Alexander drove into a destroyed campsite. The plane was in flames. On the side it read Haven Transport. They had reached the extraction point.

“What happened?” Luna asked, worried.

“I don’t know. Wait here.”

Alexander left the jeep, tightly gripping his shotgun, and looked around the campsite.

Dead bodies of families, and what looked like soldiers were scattered all around. Alexander could see one of the soldiers moving. He rushed up to him. 

It was Isaac.

“Isaac?” Alexander stared at him, shocked.

The soldier’s beaten face and weary eyes found Alexander’s face, “Alex?”

“What… why are you here?”

“Alex, Alex you… you have to get out… they’re coming…”

Isaac coughed up some blood, and then his body fell limp.

“Issac, who's coming? Isaac?”

Alexander rose to his feet, and began walking back to the jeep. Luna stared at him through the window. All of the sudden, his face became distressed. Alexander turned to look behind him when a gunshot abruptly rang through the air. Alexander fell to his knees, his gun falling onto the floor. He looked down to see his shirt begin to turn red. He crashed onto the ground, gasping for air. Luna screamed in terror. The shooter kneeled down next to him.

“Hello, Alexander.”

His voice was raspy and sharp. Alexander looked up to see his half blackened and scared face staring down at him. It was Father. The Father that had run the Sanctuary all those years ago. The same man that had starved Alexander when there weren’t enough rations to go around. The same man who had forced Alexander deep into the earth for hours, or to work in the factory assembling parts till his fingers bled. The same man who tormented and tortured Alexander for the eleven years he was trapped there. That same man was standing above him, glaring at him with his beady, merciless eyes. He hadn’t died in the explosion. Father was alive. 

“You, you…”

“It’s been a long time.”

A helicopter descended from the sky. Ripping open the jeep door, two men grabbed the screaming Luna and began taking him towards the helicopter.

“Luna, no…”

“Don’t worry, I’ll take good care of him.” 

“No! No please no!”

Father grinned. Standing up, Father kicked Alexander hard in the side, causing him to cry out in pain.

“It was nice seeing you, Alexander.” Father walked towards the Helicopter, sliding his gun back into his coat. Once he was inside the vehicle, the helicopter lifted off the ground, back towards Father’s sanctuary. 

Luna uncontrollably shook with fear, his eyes red and puffy. One of the soldiers tightly gripped his arm.

“What’s your name?” Father asked. Luna didn’t respond, terrified. 

“What is your name, child?” The soldier squeezed Luna’s arm. Luna winced in pain as more tears fell from his eyes.

“Luna.” His voice was quiet and pure. The soldier loosened his grip.

“Luna.” Father smiled, “Welcome to the family.”