A Dinner Party Confession | Teen Ink

A Dinner Party Confession

By MiraRose, Franklin, Wisconsin
MiraRose, Franklin, Wisconsin

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

-Wayne Gretzky

-Michael Scott

This is my first time writing a script for a play. Any feedback is welcomed!

(The curtains open up to a large living room. It is night. The box windows behind everything are closed with their red curtains closed. The room is bright. There is a chandelier above the room, lit. There is a red leather couch in the middle of the room, facing stage right. A coffee table is sitting in front of the couch with a white bowl of plastic fruit on it. In front of the coffee table, towards stage right, is a lit brick fireplace. On the mantle is an unlit candlestick, a small ceramic trophy of a baseball, and a small houseplant in a brown pot. Behind the couch stands four people in front of a brown desk with a feather and quill, a piece of paper, and a small lamp. The wallpaper is red with gold accents. The four people include two men and two women. The men wear simple black suits with black shoes. Their hair is done well. One has blonde hair while the other has black. One brunette woman is wearing a long red dress with a slit. She is wearing black heels and her hair is done in a high bun. She is wearing minimal makeup. The other blonde woman is wearing a knee-length blue dress with white heels. Her hair is long and down. She is wearing minimal makeup. Two police officers stand by the coffee table, writing something in their notepads. Both are men wearing police uniforms. One’s badge reads “Sherman” and the other reads “Smith”. Sherman has black hair and Smith has brown. Both have short-cropped hair under their hats.)

Smith

So you’re saying none of you have seen anything suspicious?

The brunette woman speaks up.

Emma

No, sir. Like I said, Ravi invited us to dinner to discuss business. He’s been thinking about opening up a bank, and he wanted some funding. We were eating and he left to get his butler or something, and we heard something heavy fall. John went to check.

The brunette points to the black haired man in a suit.

Emma

He was lying on the floor, not breathing. We didn’t see any weapon or anything when we all went to check after John.

Both officers nod and write in their notepads as the brunette talks.

Sherman

Thank you, ma’am. Can all of you give us your names? We will need them for the report.

The blonde woman speaks up.

Ferah

Ferah Inez.

The brunette girl rolls her eyes.

Emma

No need to be so formal all the time. Ravi got killed.

Ferah crosses her arms and walks to the brunette.

Ferah

What am I supposed to do? Giggle and slap my knee? I’m trying to be serious. Formality is always welcome.

Emma

Well, not when my best friend was killed. You act so special all the time because your daddy is rich. You didn’t work for anything you have.

Ferah is angry.

Ferah

You don’t know how hard I’ve worked!

Smith strides over to the girls, pushing them apart.

Smith

Enough! Ma’am, what is your name?

The brunette is angry.

Emma

Emma.

Smith 

Last name?

Emma scoffs.

Emma

Schalk.

Smith

Thank you. You, sir?

Smith points to the blonde man.

William

William Opal.

Smith

Thank you. And John, what is your last name?

John

Inez.

Smith looks confused. He looks at Ferah and back at John.

Smith

Are you two related?

Sherman gets fed up and starts checking the fruit bowl.

Smith glances at Sherman.

Smith

Sherman, hold on. We can’t start the investigation yet.

Sherman throws his head back and stands still.

Emma crosses her arms and leans against the couch. William joins her. Ferah and John stand next to each other and look at Smith.

John

We’re brother and sister.

Smith is still confused.

Smith

But you look nothing alike? Are one of you adopted?

Ferah is angry at the police officer.

Ferah

How dare you assume that? Me and John are blood.

Emma speaks up.

Emma

John and I!

Ferah

(Shouting.) Shut up, Emma! God!

Sherman walks over to Emma and puts a hand on her shoulder.

Sherman

Ma’am, please. Don’t interject.

Emma brushes off Sherman’s hand. Sherman looks angry but puts his hands at his sides.

Emma

She’s a grown woman. She should know her grammar by now.

Ferah

Jeez, why are you always on my case about every little thing?

Ferah tries to walk to Emma but Smith stops her with a hand.

Smith 

Ma'am, enough bickering. This isn’t going to get us anywhere. Everyone, don’t talk unless you are spoken to.

Emma shakes her head and looks at the ground. William walks over to the desk and stands at it.

Emma

What are you doing, Will?

William

In case you keep talking, I don’t want to get in trouble. I know you’re a motor mouth.

Emma walks to William.

Emma

I am not! I can voice my opinion like everybody else!

Sherman walks over to the two.

Sherman

Enough! Emma, come with me to a different room, please.

Emma

That’s not fair! I’m a part of this investigation just like everybody else!

Sherman takes Emma by the shoulder.

Sherman

This is not up for discussion.

Emma walks off stage left angrily with Sherman.

Ferah 

(Whispering)

Thank god.

Smith

As I was saying…

John shifts and leans against the wall behind him.

Smith

You two are brother and sister? Blood related?

John

Yes, that’s what she said. Really good job paying attention.

Smith

Don’t get snarky with me, Inez. I’m trying to help you.

William walks to John and pats his back.

William 

Just let him do his job so we can go home.

John brushes William off.

John

Whatever. 

Smith

So what I’ve gathered is you all were eating dinner, and Mr. Garcia stepped away to get his butler. You heard something fall, so John went to check. The body was right outside the dining room. (Smith points behind him). He wasn’t breathing but there was no weapon to be seen. Is that correct?

The group nods.

Smith

The rest of the group came and saw the body on the floor. Emma called the police, and then here we are.

Smith surveys the room, writing something in his notebook.

Smith

Did any of you see the butler in question?

Ferah 

We saw him when he served us dinner, but that’s it. We searched the house for him while we were waiting for you guys, but we found nothing. It’s like he disappeared or something.

Smith is writing in his notebook as Ferah talks.

Smith

Thank you, ma’am. This is helpful information. (Smith looks over Ferah to stage left). Sherman! Bring Ms. Schalk back in here, please.

Emma enters stage left alone.

Smith

Where’s Sherman?

Emma

He said he was gonna look around because you’re taking too long.

Smith

(quietly) 

Damn.

Smith looks at the group before running off stage left.

Smith (off stage)

Don’t move!

William

Welcome back to the dead room, Emma.

Emma is annoyed.

Emma

Now isn’t the time to make puns, William.

Ferah

Shut up, Emma. We’re trying to lighten the mood. We know Ravi died, but he was just going to use us for our money, anyway. You should be thankful we didn’t get manipulated by him.

Emma glares at Ferah.

Emma

How could you say that? Ravi was great to all of us. He wouldn’t do anything like that.

Ferah backs away from Emma. John and William step back closer to the desk.

Ferah

You’re being crazy. I know he was your friend, but he was just my business partner. I’ve given him money before, and I regret it. It’s not my fault you’re so snooty all the time.

Emma grabs Ferah by her hair and drags her to the fireplace as Ferah yells.

Ferah

What the hell are you doing!?

William runs towards them but trips and falls before he can. John runs out stage left.

Emma

Ravi never even liked you!

Emma tries shoving Ferah into the fireplace. Ferah fights and wiggles around while avoiding the fire.

Ferah

Let me go!

Smith and Sherman run in from stage left with John following. William gets off the floor and steps out of the way. 

Sherman

Step away, Emma!

Sherman grabs Emma by her shoulders and throws her on the couch. Smith picks up Ferah and gets her away from the fireplace.

Smith

Are you okay, Ferah?

Ferah nods, shaken up.

Sherman pulls handcuffs off his belt and puts them on Emma’s hands. Her hands are in the front of her body.

Emma

What are you doing?

Sherman

Handcuffing you so you don’t do something like that again. You’re going in the patrol car and being taken down to the station.

Emma (distraught)

What? No, you can’t take me there!

William and John cross the room to Ferah and hug her. Smith steps out of the way and goes toward Emma.

Smith

He sure can. That was assault. You are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of law. You have the right to an att-

Emma kicks at Smith who dodges it. Sherman grabs Emma by her shoulders and carries her off stage right as she screams.

Curtains close.

(Curtains open up to a police interrogation room. The walls are a dull grey with no pictures or wallpaper. There is a mirror built into the wall in the middle of the room. There is poor lighting, but enough so the audience can still see the characters. There is a short brown table with a manilla file on the far left of it (right for the audience) in the middle of the room. There are two fold-up chairs at either end of the table. The one stage right has Emma sitting in it. Her hair is down and she looks disheveled. It’s been a few hours since Emma was arrested. )

Smith steps onto the stage from stage left. He crosses the stage to the seat across from Emma and sits in it. She is still handcuffed.

Smith

Have you had time to think?

Emma looks away from Smith.

Emma

Bite me.

Smith looks disappointed.

Smith

Ms. Schalk, the quicker you talk, the less time you have to be here. Just tell me what happened back there. Did you do something to Ravi?

Emma

Why would I do something to him? He was my best friend. Is.

Smith opens the manilla folder sitting in front of him. He takes a piece of paper out of it and looks at it.

Smith

It says here you’ve had some history with violence. In 12th grade, you pushed a girl down your school stairs because she, quote, “looked at you funny”. She broke her left arm and sprained her right ankle. Pretty gnarly stuff, huh?

Emma

What’s your point? That was years ago. I apologized.

Smith

The problem is she says you two were best friends. So what’s stopping you from hurting another one of your (Smith does finger quotes) ‘best friends’?

Emma quickly looks up at Smith, looking scared.

Emma 

She said that?

Smith nods but doesn’t talk.

Emma

W-well… She’s crazy. I had no reason to hurt Ravi. I loved him. I still do.

Smith

Well, Sherman and the others did some snooping around while you were here, and we found Ravi’s will. He wrote it at a pretty early age, huh?

Emma looks scared.

Emma

Y-you did?

Emma tries to get the handcuffs off of her hands.

Smith

There’s no use, Ms. Schalk. You know you aren’t gonna get those off.

Emma: (Yelling)

That was a fake will!

Smith

I can assure you it was not. Did you know he wrote you into his will?

Emma

Shut up!

Smith

Says here “Emma Adelaide Schalk will inherit all my money.” Pretty crazy stuff.

Emma slams her fists on the table.

Emma

Fine, I killed him! Is that what you wanted to hear? I helped the chef with the food and slipped the stupid rat poising under the sink into his salad. He said it tasted funny, left to get his butler, then died. You wanted a confession? There it is.

Smith

You know you’re not getting that money now, right?

Emma glares at him.

Smith

Your actions have consequences, Emma. Did any of the other guests know about your plan?

Emma

No. Ferah and John are business partners with Ravi. They, like, gave him money or something? For a building in town. William is his accountant. He’s good with numbers, obviously. I was there to negotiate. Ferah thinks he would have manipulated me into giving him money as well. Which… I guess that’s probably true.

Smith

Has he done that before?

Emma

Yeah, I guess. He- um- he’s greedy sometimes. He makes you feel bad for him until you give him the money you need. I guess that’s how he’s so successful. He plans- um- planned things well and made up stories that probably weren’t true.

Smith puts the papers back into the folder and looks at Emma.

Smith

If you truly cared for him, why would you kill him? Even for all the money?

Emma

Were you not listening? He wasn’t a good man. He manipulated all of his friends and business partners. But I guess William doesn’t care since he just gets money. He doesn’t need to give any away.

Smith

Were you planning on killing Ravi tonight?

Emma shifts in her seat.

Emma

When are we gonna stop with the questions? 

Smith

Seems like you just asked one.

Emma

Come on! Just put me in a cell or whatever. I’m already busted.

Smith

That you are. Come on, we’ll do more questioning later.

Smith stands up and walks to Emma. He grabs her by her shoulder. She stands up and walks with him out stage left.

The curtains close, set up the next scene.

(The curtains open up to the living room. Ferah, William, and John all stand around the coffee table in the middle of the room.)

Sherman enters stage right and walks over to the group.

Sherman

I got word from Smith. Emma confessed to killing Ravi.

Ferah and William gasp. John doesn’t.

John

That doesn’t surprise me. She’s always been a little off.

Ferah turns and looks at John.

Ferah

Why didn’t you say something, idiot?

John shrugs.

John

Well, my opinion is usually wrong.

William

Opinions can’t be wrong. That’s why they’re called opinions, and not facts.

Sherman

If you think you have any sort of information, it’s good to tell us. Don’t keep it to yourself.

John puts his hands up like he is surrendering.

John

Okay, jeez. Chill. Sorry I didn’t say anything.

John puts his hands down.

Sherman

So your friend is going to be arrested, obviously. We got the confession on tape. The trial will be in a month.

Ferah

Can we go?

Sherman shrugs.

Sherman

If you want. You might be called as witnesses. I would actually prefer it if you guys went.

John

Ferah’s been to trial before, so she has some experience. She’s like a guide.

John wiggles his fingers in front of Ferah’s face. She brushes them away

Ferah

Shut up, Jesus. Can you ever learn to cool it with touching?

John

Absolutely not.

William

Why were you on trial, Ferah?

Ferah

In high school, this… girl pushed me down the stairs. I hurt my arm and ankle and my parents sued her. It was this whole thing.

John

But we got a nice Christmas out of it.

Ferah

Shut it! Jeez, you’re rude. I bet she didn’t have a nice one.

Sherman looks at William. William looks away and stares at the ground.

Sherman

Do you still talk to that girl?

Ferah

Only when I need to. It was weird because we were really close. Like best friends. One day she just got really mad for some reason. I think it’s because I owed her like 20 bucks but couldn’t give it to her. She was real money-hungry.

Sherman

Interesting… well, I’m going to head to the station. You guys are all free to go. We’ll send you all a letter about Emma’s trial. 

William

Thank you.

Sherman exits stage right. The group looks at each other.

John

Why didn’t you tell him Emma pushed you? He’d probably want to know that.

Ferah shrugs.

Ferah

I don’t want her in more trouble. Besides, I got to give her those 20 dollars back.

William laughs.

William

You’re evil, Ferah.

Ferah

No. That’s Emma. She’s always been money-hungry.

Curtains close.

THE END.