The Mysterious Lover | Teen Ink

The Mysterious Lover

By s416605, Chandler, Arizona, Arizona
s416605, Chandler, Arizona, Arizona

Author's note:

My name is Cheyenne and I'm a young writer trying to make it big, writing is a calming and a good way for me to escape. 

As I was getting dressed for dinner my younger brother is being annoying as always… he took my bras out and ran with them on his head. “Kayla” mom yelled “what mom” I said I don’t think she understands me I’m becoming a women I don’t want a girl power shirt or a unicorn shirt that has sparkles and glitter on it I’m gonna be a senior in high school. “It’s time to go out for dinner” mom had said “I though u said we had an hour” I said… I need time to get ready it’s not like it’s gonna take me 10 minutes to get ready.

Off to dinner, we get into the car and it is hectic as always 1 younger brother 1 baby sister and my parents with there 70’s music 🎶….  We got to the food place and turns out my crush works there so I look like a hot mess trying to get myself lookin pretty and he gets out table… “oh hey Kayla” he said “Hey Jackson” I said stuttering as I speak. “What can I get you guys started off with” Jackson said my brother said “coke” mother said “iced tea and a water for my baby” my father said “I would like a milkshake” my brother shouts” I WANNA MILKSHAKE ME ME ME” “okay little buddy” Jackson said “what would u like beautiful” Jackson said to me I told him to pick for me… I’m freaking out in my head Jackson thinks I’m beautiful he is nice, kind and funny. He makes me have butterflies in my stomach. My brother just ruined it he just through food at me… *Jackson runs over* “OMG KAYLA are you okay”. “Yes I’m fine thank you Jackson”…. “You can just call me jack bae” he said. My mind is rolling with emotions happy because he is letting me CALL HIM JACK AHHHH. “J- jack” I said while trembling. “Yes Kayla” he said I’m so nervous but here it  goes  “will u go out with me” I said

He walked away I think I’m gonna be sick did he just reject me honestly I would reject myself to just didn’t expect him to do it like that. We got up after we ate our food and left I get a text message off my phone the next morning….

Woke up the next morning and I got on my phone and I got a text message didn’t think it was Jackson because he just rejected me in front of everyone. But it’s from Jack he texted “I’m sorry Kayla for running off yesterday I realized that I’m madly in love with you and I haven’t been trying honest with you I have liked you since the 5th grade you’re nice, kind, and you care about me for me not just for my looks… so do you wanna go out with me tonight? Maybe get dinner and we can go back to my place?” I didn’t realize he had feelings for me I left him on read and thought about it I text back… “Dinner at 8 tonight and go back to your place sounds perfect!!” I need to go find a dress and get all nice! I ask my best friends if she wants to go shopping and she says yes so we’re gonna go to the mall and see if there’s anything there. *Arrives at the mall* okay so I could get this dress but it’s to plain I could get this dress but it’s to sparkly. OMG I JUST FOUND THE PERFECT DRESS!! “COME OUT KAYLA I WANNA SEE THE DRESS U LIKE AND I HAVE ONE FOR YOU TOO” my best friend (Sam) said. *she sees the dress* OMG I LOVE THAT SO MUCH” Sam said. “IKR I LOVE IT IMA GO WITH THIS ONE” I said “bet” Sam said. I called Cameron when I got home… asked her to do my makeup and hair and she said “obvi I will” best older sisters ever… *does my makeup and hair beautifully. I’m ready I get a text from him saying “can’t wait to see you tonight I hope you have fun gorgeous” I’m freaking out HE IS EXCITED FOR ME?!?!? Sheesh. I don’t know what to reply with what if I am too cheesy what if I’m not good enough for him I told my best friend and she said “you got this who wouldn’t want u mama” I was like true. Still nervous, but I got this… I hope. 

I walk out of my house nervous but I knew I got this he picks me up in his WHITE VAN?!?! In my head I thought “kidnapper” I started dying and he looked at me and said “what’s so funny I wanna laugh to” and I said “I feel underdressed” I lied to him but I didn’t wanna say that, he said “haha you look amazing I love it!” I’m just not going to tell him that I thought that… we got into his van and drove off, we went to this fancy restaurant and ate there. He got me crab and a salad, he had the same thing we ate and he ordered dessert we got chocolate moose cake it tasted so divine. We enjoyed our night together and we went home and he said “I had an amazing night with you today I hope we can do this again sometime” I was so happy that everything went well. He also pulled some flowers out of his van and I said “thank you so much I really appreciate you” he drove off and I thought I heard something but I thought I was going insane… I go home and am so excited to tell my family i tell them everything except I leave out some details, such as me hearing something he has a white van even though anyone can have a white van. Overall the date went pretty well!

get ready for bed it’s at least 10:30 pm I get a shower and I go on my phone to see what notifications I got a text from my best friends in a group chat that I have they all send a video of them doing sign language and they said help I call everyone of them and none of them answers she calls her bf and he picked up and said yes princess I’m freaking out over here and he is trying to calm me down and I say “my friends are in danger my friends are in danger” I’m crying and freaking out and he says “did you track them?!” And I haven’t tracked them so I go to track them and there at there houses so I say “Ima call u later babe” he says “okay update me if you find anything!” I text them y’all are having a sleepover?! And they say no why and and I said all of y’all are at Haileys house. They say oh yeah We can’t tell you! And I say why and they don’t respond so I just go to sleep and get ready for the next day it was my turn to drive to school so I pick all of them up. I ask them “why did all of you guys send me that video”, this is where things start to get weird… they said “what video?!” I pull up the texts and the videos gone… what happened to the video I’m wondering?!

My boyfriend called me and said “Baby I know this week has been an up and down but I need you to look at the road” and there’s a person in the middle of the road I swerve as fast as I can! I told him “HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE WAS A PERSON THERE?!?! I’m in shock at this point. He said “you were talking to me not looking at the road… that’s why I told you to keep your eyes on the road to make sure you don’t get hurt”. I’m freaking out on how did he know this my friends aren’t even fazed and I looked at them and said “YALL WHAT IS WRONG” they said “nothing what’s wrong with you?” I didn’t know what to say they didn’t even notice it so confused I tell them “never mind!” Our first day of school is tomorrow I’m not gonna let this freak me out… anyway we’re gonna go school shopping for some new clothes. We got our new clothes from the shop and we are gonna get our backpacks ready we can’t believe we’re gonna be seniors in high school!

It’s the first day of school I can’t believe I made it! We made it, it’s going to be an awesome school year. I got into my car and drove to school all excited to see my friends I pull up to school and no ones there not even teachers it’s just me I call my friends and ask them where they are at and they all said “school why?” And I said “no your not I’m pulled up at the school there’s no one here it’s just me no teachers no nothing. It’s crickets out here” I said.  They hung up and texted are you at the right location? I said no I’m not YES I AM I HAVE BEEN DRIVING HERE FOR TWO YESRS THIS IS MY SECOND YEAR! They said facts and I just didn’t go to school for the first day oh well I thought. Ima spend the day to myself i’m gonna go shopping At Target and get some stuff! As I’m driving to target I’m thinking is what happened but I ignore it. I got me some extra school supplies because I actually forgot to get pencils and pens,etc! I’m going to go to school. To Celebrate I’m going to make cookies and cupcakes! My cookie recipe I will be using is: 1 Cream the butter, brown sugar, and grnaulated sugar together.

Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix again until combined.
Mix in the flour, corn starch, baking soda and salt just until combined.
Scoop out the cookie dough using a large cookie scooper and let it chill for 15 minutes.
Bake the cookies in the preheated oven then let them cool down fully before frosting them.
My cupcake recipe will be: 1 Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.

Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl.
Stir in the beaten eggs and vanilla extract.
Sift in the self raising flour and mix until just combined. ...
Transfer the mixture into cupcake cases, filling half way.
Bake in oven for 20 minutes! I finished Baking the cookies and I invited all of my friends over to eat them with me!

I’m going to school today and I can’t wait to see my bf. I miss him so much I’m gonna pack my money and for lunch and go take a shower, and then get ready. I just got out of the shower and did my makeup,my hair and got dressed. There’s a new Bella Amore Mexican place that we’re gonna go to after school as a little congrats u made it to ur Senior year, “I’m going to school” I told my mom she told me to have a great day and I started driving to school and I was so excited to see my friends it’s been such a long summer, I’m going to stop at Starbucks and get my whole squad a drink. When I got to school my friends loved my outfit and hair I had a jean shorts with a cute belt I had a black half top and I curled my hair today. My teachers loved me and honestly for the first time I loved my teachers I had I couldn’t wait to spend the year with them. I texted my bf what his classes were and he and I had all of the SAME classes I was so excited!! This year is going to be amazing I thought. My best friend Sam wasn’t there today so I hit her up and said “you coming to school today” and I saw my boyfriend texting when she was typing I didn’t think anything of it and she replied “I am not feeling good today so I’m going to take a nap” I was worried about her so I was gonna go see her after dinner. After school was over I texted my mom I’m going out with my friends and she was like okay be safe. Of course I’m gonna be safe like I’m with my friends I’m why would I get hurt. “We’re gonna go to that New Mexican restaurant” I said, Jack said he was driving so yeah we drove to the restaurant and had some dinner.

After dinner there parents all picked them up and I told Jackson to drop me off at my place so I can drive to Sams and he said “why do u want to drive to Sam isn’t she sick do you want to get sick?” That to me was suspicious because he usually says let’s go I’ll drive you over and he didn’t so I said “drive me to my house right now!” I was very demanding because he wouldn’t let me go I was very upset! He said “I’ll just take u over there” *Jake rolls his eyes* I told him to go knock on her front door and when he went I called her and I heard her ringtone and there I saw it, Sam’s phone in his car why does he have her phone I was so confused and to be honest scared. When he came back I was going to try to play it cool but all my emotions came out “WHY DO U HAVE SAMS PHONE????” WHAT IS WRONG WITH U WHY WOULD YOU TAKE IT!” I was furious and he said “calm down you won’t tell anyone would you” and I said “bu-“ as I was cut off and he said “no you wouldn’t I love you and you love me” I was blinded by his love I only saw the good in him. This day will be kept in the back of my brain forever. He said “let me drive you to my house” and I went with him he got me some chocolate to eat with him. We were laying in bed when al of a sudden I heard Sam scream “HELP ME” “SOMEONE HELP ME” I got up straight away and yelled “YELL AGAIN SAY SOMETHING” then I just remembered black.

I woke up in a basement and all of my friends were there I told them “hey psst you guys okay?” Sam said “help me help me Kayla” Sam had a black eye who knows what he has done to get. We were sitting there weak,tired not able to move he must have drugged us I thought. I was loopy,dizzy and couldn’t get up. I remembered o had a pocket knife on me so I reached into the back of my pocket and was about to grab it when I realized I didn’t have it anymore he took it from me this is insane! He must be pranking me. I heard the basement door open and it was Jack! I said “you’re pathetic!” And he said “you do not want to make me mad” I was frightened but didn’t say anything else. This is all my fault I thought to myself everyone is on this mess because of ME! Everything is starting to make sense now the White Van him having Sams phone him texting right as Sam was texting my friends sending help signals ALL OF IT makes sense now… I brought them into this I’m going to get them out. I call Jackson to come down “JACKSON” no response “JACKSON COME HERE” my head hurts so bad that’s all I could do he came down and said “yes princess” I could barely say anything, the pain was so   severe and unspeakable but I had the courage to say “I won’t tell anyone I swear just let my friends go I’ll stay and you and I can live happily ever after” I thought that was a good idea until.

“Let’s play a game shall we” he said I was terrified for my friends safety not even me! I said “what game”  he said “Simon says but with a twist” I was about to say no then realized I have to get them and I out of here alive “fine what’s the rules” I said he first told me to “grab a knife and cut one of your friends fingers off” I couldn’t so he forced my hand and I cut Sams finger off she screamed in pain I felt so horrible I wanted to cry! “Good job Kayla” he said I wanted to say something but I knew there was gonna be consequences for my actions but it slipped out anyway “Go to hell you bastard” FRICK I thought I am gonna get us killed for not thinking about what I’m about to say! “Oh” he said I knew something bad was about to happen “too can play that game” I heard him say he grabbed my arm and pushed me against the wall and said “don’t ever say anything like that AGAIN you understand me?” My chains were off and my wrists and legs were bloody from him having them on so tight I said “yes sir” he chained me back up and left he. I realized he left the key on the wall of only I could reach it then I shook all of my chains and one of my hand chains came loose I stretched my body farther than ever before and I got the key I un-did all of my chains and my friends chains and I used the key to see if it would unlock the door and it sadly didn’t but then…

There was this little cabinet and I threw the cabinet on the floor I got splinters all over my hands and I almost broke the whole cabinet until the little door was on the cabinet i pulled on it and it opened I used the key that was in it and it opened the door but then there was another door and we had to figure it out Sam passed out, we had to carry her after we found the key in a wall under wallpaper that he had up. When we opened the door we found his house we were so happy and everything… his dog started barking and we hid under his pool table and we heard gunshots happening and we realized he was gonna actually kill us WHAT THE HECK!!!

“I found a window that I always sneak out of when I’m at his house it’s usually unlocked” I said quietly trying not to make any noise Sam heard me after she woke up and Sam said “uhm no it’s usually locked” How does she know though she never hangs with my bf it’s not important right now though I just need to get out of here alive with my friends. I told them to stay here and I went and pulled at the window and it was locked. I heard more gunshots and the dog stopped barking. DID HE JUST KILL HIS DOG JACK IS PHYSCO!!!! He went into our little kidnapping area and we turned around and ran for our LIFE! Did we actually just make it out alive of a mass MURDER?!!

We are still running and made it to the woods I got this ringing in my ear “do you guys here that?” I asked questionably they all said “no” I felt shaken and closed my eyes and opened them, I was back in my bedroom wondering what had happened. I looked at my phone to see Jack’s contact and I didn’t have it. I was so confused. My mother came in and told me “I have breakfast downstairs” then she left my room I got out of my bed and went downstairs and ate breakfast not saying a thing. I went back up to my room and took a nice shower and it was about 6:00 and my mom yells “Don’t forget we are going to dinner soon” I heard her yell I didn’t think anything of it, I got dressed and realized I wore the same thing in my dream and we went out to dinner and it’s the same restaurant there I saw Jackson walking towards me. “I will be your guys server tonight”. I went to our table and sat down and my brother said “I’ll take a coke” my mom wanted iced tea and my dad wanted a milkshake and my brother yells “I WANT A MIKSHAKE ME ME ME” Oh my god everything is the same I am loving the same thing except Jackson doesn’t ask me out this time. I tell my mom I need to be excused and Jackson comes running towards me of course he was. I heard something in the woods so I went to the woods to look there were people covered in blood “are you alright?” I asked questionably “Run he’s going to get-“.