Seaside Murder | Teen Ink

Seaside Murder

By Félicité, San Antonio, Texas
Félicité, San Antonio, Texas

Author's note:

I wrote this story in 2 days, for myself. But when I showed it to my English teacher, she told me I should try this, give it a chance...we never know right!

It was a very windy night. The street lights twinkled and shook in violent squalls. The ocean was raging. Massive, heavy waves crashed on the rocks with a deafening crash.

Near the pier, two men are fighting. Marcus Lelouche, owner of the beach snack bar and Daniel Meunier. Both are drunk. Dead drunk. Threats. Insults.

Don’t you dare Daniel !
M...Marcus, I, I’m so doooone, I...
It's 2:07. 2:07 am when Daniel Meunier falls of the pier and crushes his skull on the rocks. One second later, he is swallowed up by the hungry ocean.

Marcus stays frozen, his eyes fixed on the wave that just engulfed the man. He turns around and suddenly, he sees Ethan.

Ethan Locatelli, 18 years old, wavy blond hair, wearing a white shirt and jean shorts. He's on his way home from a little party. He is petrified. Ethan gets back on his bike and pedals faster. He can hear his own breath. His heart is bombing violently in his chest.

But Marcus saw him too. Marcus knows who he is.

*

The next morning, the storm calmed down. On the beach, a shredded body is found. The police are here. People gather in front of the iron barriers.

Ethan stops his bike to see. When he notices the body covered on the sans, he gently pulls back. His throat is tied. The smell of blood makes him want to throw up.

He knows.

He knows everything.

*

Ethan ? He jumps. Someone pat him on the shoulder. A girl withdraws her hand.
What's wrong ?
Eva is wearing sweatpants, her brown hair tied in a ponytail. She's smiling, wiping the sweat from her forehead. Ethan shows her the way to the center of all the attention. Eva turns her head slowly to see. The sand is still bright red. The girl's smile fades. Her face is suddenly pale. Eva goes right in front of the barriers. Tristan Le Perrec, the inspector, is on the crime scene. He asks Sylvie to take the last pictures and get prepared to leave.

Make them move for god's sake!
Sylvie takes the microphone and asks the people to go away.

Progressively, men and women are leaving.

But Eva doesn't move.

Ethan is a couple of meters behind her, waiting. He's about to call Eva back but he just holds his breath.

HE is here. Marcus Lelouche. At his left. Staring at him. A frozen and dangerous gaze. A gruff old man, with dark purple circles and bloodshot eyes, Marcus doesn't take his eyes off the young boy. Then he turns his look over Eva.

Tristan Le Perrec grabs his bag and walks towards the young girl.

It's not her.
Eva looks up at him, then turns around to leave. She grabs Ethan's arm as she passes.

Marcus watches them go.

His right hand relaxes in his pocket.

We can guess the shape of a gun.

*

Tristan Le Perrec grabs the coffee maker and generously pours the black liquid into a cup. His hair is disheveled and his 3 days beard is unshaven. Tristan takes a sip and catches his coat. He rubs his tired eyes, finishes his coffee, and looks at the kitchen's clock. 6:21 am.

The inspector puts the cup in the sink, puts the car keys in his pocket, and grabs his lighter.

Dad?

He turns around. Eva, wearing an oversized t-shirt, just entered the kitchen. Tristan caresses his daughter's head.

-It's not her Eva. It is not your sister. He kisses her forehead. I need to go now.
- Who is it then?
- Daniel Meunier.

Tristan slams the front door.

The sky is grey and the mist is sagging his hair. The inspector gets into the old dark car, lights his cigarette, and starts the engine.

Daniel Meunier... This name sounds familiar.
 *

Ethan opens the kitchen door.

Marine Locatelli looks up. She's wearing an apron embroidered with small flowers. Her ash blonde hair is tied in a coarse bun. She puts the pan down and says :

Oh, you scared me, honey. She shows the window at her right, sighing with spite. Look at the weather, it looks like the world is against us this week. 
Ethan takes a quick look at the clouds.

Yeah... It looks like it.
Are you okay honey?

The young boy leaves the room.

Did you take your medicine? Ethan!
He closes his door.

*

Tristan is waiting for Sylvie in his office. She knocks.

Come in!
Tristan, I have the report.
I'm listening, go ahead.
Sylvie ties her curly red hair and clears her throat.
He died around 4-5 am. On the radios, they saw a concussion on the back of his head a few hours before. He had more than 2 grams of alcohol in his blood. Tristan raises his eyebrows. Sylvie continues :
He drowned. The current took him right to the Boisvinet Beach. And it's interesting because the current could have taken him quite far.

Tristan rotates his pen between his fingers.

Tristan, it is entirely possible that all of this was an accident.
It wasn't an accident.
Daniel Meunier had a clean record. And we got a letter from his doctor: he was an alcoholic.
Precisely. It's false.
What ?
His real name is David Villard.
*

Hello ?
Hey…
Are you okay? What’s wrong?
Eva, I…
Look, what we saw this morning, it was an accident, it’s fine. I mean, it’s tragic but don’t stick on it.
I know…But who is this guy you were talking to?
He’s my dad Ethan. My father is a cop. She marks a pause. Hey, listen.
Mmh ?
My...my sister disappeared two years ago.
 *

Eva turns the shower on. She squats in the middle and closes her eyes.

« - Anaïs! Anaïs !

Where is she gosh!
Astrid ! Go check the beach again.
Hello ? Yes, our daughter. We looked for her since midday. Yes. No. I, I don’t know. She went to the beach with her mom and her sister. This morning, midday. Lunchtime. Yes. Anaïs. Anaïs Le Perrec. 8 years old.”
Big tears are falling on Eva’s chicks. They are mixed with the warm wate-of the shower. She feels like her entire body is crying. But everything disappears in the siphon.

8 years old.

*

Ethan ? Time to eat! Ethan ?!
I’m not hungry.
Stop saying that. Come on, your dad is setting the table alone.
Mom, I said I’m not hungry.
Did you have an argument with your friend today? You had a bad face all day.
Mom…
I know the weather is not our best friend this week, if I had known, I would have rented this lovely house a week ago.
Mom, it’s okay…
By the way honey, you received a letter. Probably from your girlfriend!
Marine gives Ethan a pink envelope with little flowers on it. He takes it and removes a yellow sticky note from it.

“IF YOU TELL SOMEONE, I WILL KILL HER”

*

Hello Sylvie.
Hello Tristan.
Take a look at this.
Sylvie takes the paper Tristan shows on the desk. She reads out loud :

David Villard, 3 trials dismissed, one for domestic violence, one for complicity in rape and one for kidnapping...of Anaïs Le Perrec…
Sylvie looks up. She violently places the file on the desk, stunned.

Why...why doesn’t anybody know that ?!
No proof… answers Tristan with a sigh. But I was there the three times. David didn’t like me, I'm sure he took his revenge by taking away my daughter.
He taps his index finger on Daniel Meunier’s photo.

This man… He deflected all his accusations.
Who killed him then ?
He was drunk. He wanted to throw everything to the cops. I don’t know. He wanted to do something that the OTHER one wasn’t okay with it. There is someone else.
Tristan takes the pen out of his pocket and circles the word “complicity” on the sheet.

He was never alone.
 *

Eva arrives at the beach. The weather is beautiful. The white path of a plane looms towards the west. To the Americas. She stares at it till the trace evaporates.

“Where are you Anaïs”

Eva removes her dress and lays down on her towel. She knots her brown hair, it’s hot. Her skin is burning. The beach is crowded. The only sunny day of the week… everything looks normal, but the young girl can feel something weird. Someone’s insistent gaze. She turns around and sees him. Yes, she knows him. He owned the restaurant in front of the beach. Not the smiliest guy, but she knows who he is. Eva waves her hand then gets up and walks away towards the sea.

If only she knew.

*

Ethan rings the doorbell.

Tristan Le Perrec opens the door, a smoking cigarette between his thin lips.

Hey man, are you Eva’s boyfriend or something ?
I’m her friend sir, we met 2 weeks ago at the beach.
Ohhhhh, I see you're the guy from Paris, yes, my daughter told me about you. You came here with your family for the vacation right?
Yes sir.
Call me Tristan please. He turns around looking up the stairs. Eva ?! Your boyfriend is here !
Eva nudges her father, smiling.

Stop dad… Come on Ethan, let me show you my room !
The two teenagers go up the stairs. Eva crashes on her bed. She sighs. Ethan lays down near to her. They both look at the ceiling, dotted with fluorescent plastic stars. The room is quite small, one wall painted in a light pink, with an old poster of Back To The Future . To hide the imperfections of the other side, a lot of pictures are glued showing selfies, places and smiles. A big old mirror stands near to the white desk. Ethan stares at the details of the glass.

Eva...about what you told me yesterday…
It’s okay, it was a long time ago.

Listen. Yes, I thought it was her this time, but it wasn’t.
You never founded...founded her bo…
No.
I’m sorry to hear that.
Mmh.
Eva ?
Mmh.
And what about your mom ?
Her name was Astrid. She...she was diagnosed with cancer last year.

No need to tell you're sorry or something, I know you have a perfect family, but I don’t need your help, I…
Eva.
What ?
Let’s go somewhere.
*

Tristan Le Perrec takes his phone. 12 missed calls from Sylvie.

Hello ? Yes, you called me ?
(...)
Oh...Okay, I’m coming right away.
Tristan looks at the clock: 8:27 pm. He grabs his car keys and slams the door.                        Outside, the sun begins to set. A fresh wind starts to rise. Some threatening clouds are coming from the east. Tristan Le Perrec closes his jacket and opens the car. He brushes away all the old cigarette ends scattered on his Surat with his hand.

This inspector turns the key.

*

Sylvie hangs up. She takes the cups of coffee in her right hand and heads to the integration room. Her white blouse sticks to her clammy skin. She opens the door.

Sorry for making you wait, Misses Husseau.
It’s alright. Answer the old lady.
Tristan Le Perrec arrives several minutes later.

What’s up ?
Misses Husseau, may I introduce you inspector Le Perrec.
Good evening mam. Tristan shakes the woman's hand. He continues. So you must be…
No inspector, I am, or at least I was her mother.
*

Ethan feels free. With Eva hugging him. On the bike, he feels safe. As if everything was over. Living like a random 18 years old boy.                        

They arrive near to the funfair of the town, right behind the port.

Ethan is ready to forget all tonight, just tonight.

*

Eva smiles too. The smell of Ethan appeases her. They get off the motorbike and go through the stands of the funfair.

She follows him to an isolated corner on the sand. Other teenagers are here. They welcome the latecomers with liveliness. Eva hugs her friends. Thomas pats Ethan on the back.

Hey dude, what’s up ? I’m glad Eva brought you here. When are you leaving already ?
Next week.
A lot of laughs.

A lot of glasses.

To forget. But forgetting is not enough.

*

Sylvie puts away the empty cups and throws them in the trash.

What do you think ?
Tristian opens the window. The wind has really woken up since then. The sea is rough. He lights his cigarettes while looking at the sky.

Like you. Read it again please.
“ Her daughter was married to David Villard. She complained to the police for domestic violences in 2016, then withdrew the complaints a few months later. She committed suicide in 2017…”
I know this, read me the part about the letter she received two days ago.
Misses Husseau received a letter from a M.L. the morning after David’s death, saying that HE had avenged Léana Husseau.”
M.L… Do we have any people on our reports with M.L. as initials ?
Melissa Lecourt, Mathis Lelion,...wait...Oh my god.
*

Ethan chains the glasses of alcohol. His throat is burning, so is his stomach. His head is spinning more and more. Ethan turns to Eva. She’s laughing. She is so beautiful. Her dark hair is tied in a ponytail, a few rebellious locks twirling in front of her ear. Her brown eyes are sparkling and her tanned skin shines under the last rays of the sun.

Suddenly, he pounces on her. Eva steps back, surprised.

Ethan, what the heck ?
You’re so beautiful, I love you…
That’s it. He said it. Ethan messed it up.

Eva starts laughing again. But to his surprise, she wraps her hands around Ethan’s neck and kisses him.

Emotion takes them away. A mixture of fear and sadness but also happiness and relief.

Come on, guys! Go away! Says Thomas, sneering.
Ethan takes Eva’s hand and helps her get up.

Shut up Tom. He answers, smiling.
The others wave at them, pretending to faint from love. Eva sticks her tongue out at them and suggests:

Let’s go to my beach hut, we will be quiet there.
They move away.

A man saw everything.

*

Sylvie scratches her head.

What ?! Tristan asks as she stays silent.
Remind me the name of the...the guy, you know, the, hum, he was a witness of your daughter’s…
What is the link with Anaïs ?
Show me the report of her case.
Tristan Le Perrec shivers. He releases the smoke from his cigarette. He takes a green file out of his drawer and throws it on the table.                      Sylvie opens it and turns the pages frenetically, her eyes going from left to right quickly.

There it is ! She exclaims. So, as you know, Anaïs has been kidnapped around noon near the beach. She would have entered the snack bar a couple minutes before 11 : 30. Marcus Lelouche’s restaurant, M.L. !
Sylvie…
He said that she came to buy a popsicle. And that she went out after. He gave us surveillance camera extracts to justify this…
Sylvie…
No Tristan ! What IF, what IF ?! Where are the videos ?!
On my computer…
Let me see it.
Sylvie, why him ? He gave us a big clue, on this video, there is Daniel Meunier or David Vill… well whatever, it’s why he was a suspect, Marcus helped us !
Tristan...look.

*

Eva is snuggled up in Ethan’s arms. The beach guy is narrow, the light bulb sizzling. Old, deflated inner tubes, towels and beach toys litter the dusty floor.                                                      In the distance, we can heat the raging sea, the dull noises of the fun fair, the masts of the boats colliding. Eva stricken Ethan’s hair :

I bet they’re shutting the fun fair with this crazy wind. They smile.
Eva ?
Mmh.
I have to tell you something.
  *

Look here. Says Sylvie looking at the video.
What.
Here. You see this woman ? She’s going to  the bathroom.
Yes.
Look at the time. She spent more than 20 minutes there, before going back. Someone was in the bathroom during all this time.
She was sick ? Guesses Tristan, shrugging his shoulders.
There is no surveillance in the bathroom, logical, but nobody went before her.
Tristan Le Perrec puts his cigarette in the ashtray and frowns.

But Daniel is still at the bar…
It can’t be him… Or wait, it is from a different time, or day, or just a couple of minutes !
Listen Sylvie, that’s crazy, Marcus himself gave the…
We are going right now.
Where ?
The restaurant.
*

Outside, the rain started pouring down. The streets are deserted. Tristan Le Perrec turns on the wipers. The car arrives in front of the snack bar. Closed. Sylvie rings the bell. No response. Tristan climbs the fence. Sylvie follows him. He shoots the front door lock. The inspector opens the glass door, gun in hand.

Somebody home ?!
No response.

Inside, a cold and terrifying calm booms over the room. All plunged into darkness, Tristan switches on his cell phone light. The chairs are folded down on the tables. An improperly closed window gives a high-pitched, irregular hissing sound. A crackle suddenly attracts the inspector’s attention. Sylvie just entered the back kitchen.

Come here ! She whispers.
She opens the door of a little messy office. In the tiny room, a lot of lockers are overflowing with sheets and various objects. Tristan Leans towards a box full of usb sticks. They all have a specific date written on the back. After few minutes, he announces :

got it ! 08/07/16
*

I’m epileptic.
Eva turns around and looks at Ethan. He repeats:

I’m sick.
Ethan… I didn't kno…
Guess no one has a perfect life…

I take some medication. I had an injury when I was 10.
What happened?
Ski accident. I don’t really remember. I fell. From high. Now, my dad ignores me most of the time because I don’t want to go back there, in this hospital, and my mom… My mom thinks I need help for everything and talks to me like if I was 3 years old and, and…
Ethan, Ethan calm down…
The young boy suddenly sits and bursts into tears.

I can’t ! I can’t take it any more ! He starts moving a lot. He makes big gestures with his arms. I no longer control it. Can’t hold it back anymore !
Ethan, what are you talking about ?!
I saw...I saw…
BOOM BOOM BOOM.

The door just shook. The two teenagers jump. Eva gets up.

Guys, come on, we are just talking, Tom I swear I’m going to kill you…
Marcus Lelouche is right in front of her, as she opens the door.

*

Sylvie puts the usb in the computer. Tristan recognizes the same video that they already saw.

Look Sylvie, the kidnapping was after all this, we had witnesses who claimed to have seen a little girl with a red dress and on the video he gave us, we can see Anaïs going out…
Tristan Le Perrec turns suddenly pale. In the rest of the video, he sees a little girl in a red dress going out, but, a couple of seconds later, a woman goes out too and takes the girl in her arms. Her face… The little child’s face. It is certainly not Anaïs Le Perrec.                                      Sylvie takes her phone.

Hello guys, we need help, we have a suspect to find. I don’t care about the weather Richard ! Now !
Tristan gets up suddenly and walks up the stairs to the second floor, where Marcus lives. Sylvie follows him :

So, for Daniel Meunier, it matches, he fell not far from the restaurant and plus, he was drunk from Marcus’s alcohol !
The two cops search the apartment. Empty. A single narrow corridor opening onto three closed doors welcomes Tristan and Sylvie.  The wallpaper is ripped off everywhere and a smell of rot reigns in the rooms. In the small living room, Sylvie looks with disgust at the dust and the mess spread over all the furniture. She turns the old fabric sofa over and scatters the secretary's papers. A picture falls. The picture. A smiling little girl on it. Anaïs. Sylvie jumps. Tristan called her.

*

Tristan Le Perrec sits on the bed and begins to mumble. A piece of paper catches his attention. He removes the sticky note from an old book on the nightstand.

“ Last warning, if you approach her again, I'll kill her. I WILL KILL EVA LE PERREC.”

Tristan gets up abruptly. Big beads of sweat run down his forehead. His breathing quickens. “   I WILL KILL EVA”

Sylvie ?!
She enters the room, alerted.

I found a picture of Anaïs,... Tristan ?
“I WILL KILL EVA”

M...my…
Sylvie tries to calm the inspector down but Tristan Le Perrec is beside himself. “I WILL KILL EVA” The words echo in his head. He pulls out his phone and calls his daughter.

In the distance, the sirens of the police cars are approaching. Tristan Le Perrec waits, still.

But Eva is not answering the phone.

*

Eva jumps. While walking, her phone rang. But Marcus holds her arm so tight, so violently, her skin is burning under his grip. Eva wants to scream. She wants to scream so bad. But a sort of excruciating and terrifying fear knots her throat. The alcohol in her veins made her muscles heavy. 

It is pitch black. The wind is blowing hard on the coast. The rain stifles the sound of their footsteps. There is no one around. Nobody.

*

Ethan walks slowly. He can’t turn around. Marcus’ gun is turned towards him. They arrive near to the end of the cliff. The sea is black, mad and restless. Ethan stops. A start lifts his shoulders. He falls. His whole body begins to shake.

“Did you take your medicine?”

No.

*

Marcus flips back.

What is wrong with him ?!
He...he’s having a fit...Ma...Marcus Why ? I...I don’t understand. You have to help him, I…
He saw me !
What ?
He saw me KILLING Daniel !
Eva stares at him, scared and silent.

He was about to tell you Eva ! This idiot RUINED EVERYTHING. I didn’t want to kill Daniel at first, but he wasn’t able to control himself anymore ! I HAD TO.
Why ?
The truth. What we DID. Eva shivers.
Anaïs ?
Marcus bursts out laughing, his yellowish teeth stand out in the dark.

I need to get rid of you two 
Eva howls :

Ethan !!!
But the young boy doesn’t respond anymore. His breathing is blocked, a few twitches still persist, making the inert bossy tremble. Marcus takes Eva away.                                                        Ethan disappears in the dark. The girl cries :

What are you gonna do ?!
You are going to join your sister into oblivion. My life is ruined anyway.
Eva shakes her arm, trying to get off. The waves breaking on the sharp rocks splash them. Her head is spinning, her breathing quickens, the wind makes her tremble, she..feels....like….she’s…..flying…….away…

BLACK.

*

Tristan Le Perrec runs through the beach. He widens his eyes, looking for a sign of life. The other policemen also venture on the cliff.

Here ! HERE !
Three men are rushing to carry the body of a young man. Ethan Locatelli. Sylvie signals to the rescue truck to take out the stretcher.

Hurry up, darn it !
The blue and red lights of the cops cars are shining in the night. The storm is stronger than ever. Tristan Le Perrec moves away, looking around desperately. 

EVA !!!
When, suddenly, a silhouette emerges near the edge of the rocks.

Marcus Lelouche. Standing. Holding the lifeless body of Eva in his right hand. Tristan holds his gum at the man.

Let her go ! LET HER GO !!!
Marcus sneers, he staggers. Eva’s body falls on the sand.

POW !

Another body falls on the sand.

*

One week later.

La Sourdiniere’s Hospital

Room 402.

Eva Le Perrec wakes up slowly. Her eyes are dazzled by the light of the day. The window is open. We can hear birds chirping outside. The white curtains twirl gently with the niche breath of the morning breeze.

Eva turns her head. She sees her left arm wrapped in a white bandage. She lifts the fabric. Her forearm is purplish.

The memories come back to her.

Ethan.

Knock, knock, knock.

*

Room 801

Marine Locatelli is sitting at the bedside. In the bed, Ethan Locatelli’s body. Breathing.

She strokes her son’s hair. She squeezes a crumpled handkerchief in her left hand.

Mom ?
Marine Locatelli looks up.

Ethan, honey, how do you feel ?
Where...Where… The young man tries to stand up.
Relax Ethan, everything is okay, you are in the hospital. You are all right. You just need to rest.
And...where is..
The poor girl is also here. She’s still unconscious. She’s all right. Honey, I’m so sorry for what happened. I’m so proud of you, so is your dad.
Dad…
He stayed with you all those nights to look after you. I just took over. He’s sleeping.
He did ?
Yes honey.
Where’s Eva’s room ?
*

Tristan Le Perrec opens the door smoothly. Eva smiles at him. He leans over the bed and kisses his daughter’s forehead.

Dad.
Mmh.
Explain to me.
We arrived on time.
And Marcus ?
He’s in bad shape but whenever he’s healed, he will be judged.
Ethan knew dad.
What’s that ?
He SAW Marcus killing Daniel. He was at the bad place at the bad time.
Oh wow. That makes sense then, that’s why…
Knock knock knock.

*

Ethan waits in front of the room 402. He looks tired, but happy. Tristan Le Perrec lets him in.

Come on Ethan, I leave you with her, we’ll have the opportunity to talk later.
Eva smiles. Her eyes are smiling. Her lips are smiling. Ethan sits at her bedside.

I’m sorry Eva. For everything.
Me too… answers the young girl.
She bends down and hugs him tight.

*

They hear the noise outside. The life that goes on. Music from an old radio. Seagulls playing in the wind. The trees dancing and vibrating with the breeze. The waves in the distance. The rustle of a bee slapping on the mosquito net. The coffee machine in the next room. The salty smell of the ocean mixed with the scent of hydrangeas in the garden. The storm gave way to the warm sun.

*

The trial went well. Marcus was found guilty and the testimonials were convincing.

Eva Le Perrec continued to grow. She studied law before ending up as a police officer.

Ethan Locatelli went abroad for two years and became a doctor in Marseille. He continued fighting against his disease all his life.

Tristan Le Perrec retired in 2021 and became a writer.

Marcus was sentenced to 50 years of prison. He spent the last days of his life between bars, after three years.

The young Anaïs Le Perrec was found, when Marcus Lelouche confessed that she had been taken in an Abbey for two years after a car accident in which she had fallen into a coma.       Daniel was driving the car that day with Marcus and the two men had fled after the percussion . Anaïs ended up as a teacher in Paris.

It was such a relief for the familie Le Perrec to be reunited and happy as they deserved. 

This story ends well because justice has been made.

And I got to say, dear reader,

Love only made it alright,

Tristan Le Perrec.