Hide & Seek | Teen Ink

Hide & Seek

By aimeescalante, West Valley City, Utah
aimeescalante, West Valley City, Utah

Author's note:

I worked very hard on this and im very proud of it. Definetly one of my best prompts for a story so far.

Kai’s Mansion, Los Angeles, California

11:54 pm

“I'm soooooo bored~ lets play something” Kai exclaimed while running out of the kitchen.

It was 11:54 at night in Kai's house, the youngest one of the group. He had just moved to a very big house with his parents. Big as in mansion big.

His parents had gone out of the country for a business trip so he decided to invite his friends and give them a tour of his new home while he was at it.

“What do you wanna play? We played board games already, and I am tired of Chris winning every single one of them…” murmured Jaime. She was very quiet and reserved. Even though most of her friends' personalities were totally different than hers, she still enjoyed their company.

“For your information, it's called being smart” answered Chris. He was the oldest one among the group, also the smartest one. He is at the top in his class, and has a 148 IQ.

“Chris, you are my best friend but i'm pretty sure you cheated on uno!!” exclaimed Felix. Felix was a very soft and funny guy. He was also prettier than all the girls there. His voice doesn't match him though, it was very deep.

“Oh shut up! You cheated on Twister so don't act too innocent felix!!!” barked Niki. She was a very tough girl. She could make anyone shut up with just a glare, except her friends. She has a soft spot for them. 

“Everyone chill out, it's just some games… Anyways what should we play?” asked the host of the sleepover, Kai.

“How about we play hide and seek? OH OH!! HIDE AND SEEK IN THE DARK!” yelled Lucas as soon as Kai finished his sentence. Lucas was a very funny and loud person. He was the type of person to laugh at everything, unless he sees himself in a very serious situation.

“That sounds great! Who wants to be it?” Milo asked. He was the most normal one out of the whole group probably. He was quiet but very funny at the right times. Does not get scared easily.

Little did they know that the game would be the end of their life.

---11:59pm

“Ready or not here I come!!!” yelled Niki who was the seeker. She started walking with her phones shining light in front of her. Since it was a pretty much new environment for everyone in the house, Niki as the seeker was allowed to use a flashlight. The house was completely dark aside from a few lamps.

As Niki approaches the backyard she hears a low deep voice near her.

“Let the real fun begin now. You all have 3 hours to hide. If you are found, you die”

Niki halted her steps and looked around.

The clock had just made a sound, signalling that it was officially midnight. 

As Niki looks around her, she doesn't find anyone so she can't help but wonder, where did that deep voice come from?

“Felix! If that was you it really isn't funny!” yelled Niki. As soon as she yelled that she heard a low devilish chuckle followed by a bloody scream coming from the inside of the house.

“Six.”

Niki runs as fast as she can to the inside of the house and goes towards the kitchen. There, she found Jaime’s body with blood coming out of her mouth. Her eyes white and as open as one can possibly open them.

“J-jaime…” she whispered after witnessing the cold and dead body of her friend.

Shocked, Niki stumbles out of the kitchen and falls on the cold, hard, wooden floor. Her body shaking and eyes watering and trembling with fear.

“I need to tell the others.... We need to escape…” she mumbles to herself as she fumbled with the device on her hands to call one of her friends. As she pulls her phone up to their ears to call Milo, she notices how it's not ringing.

She had no service.

Niki starts panicking, not knowing what to do aside from being scared for her life and her friends.

---Meanwhile

Lucas is walking around up on the third floor, still unsure of where to hide.

“Such a huge house and i can't even find a good place to hide…” he murmured.

As Lucas was walking, he noticed from the corner of his eye a figure walking around. He immediately hid behind the wall to his left and looked out for the figure. It was then that he noticed that it wasn't one of his friends.

The figure, who he thought was a man, was tall and had broad shoulders. It was dressed completely in black and its footsteps couldn't even be heard. It seemed as if it was weightless. Squinting his eyes, Lucas saw the face of the figure and noticed how pale it was and how its eyes were completely white.

“Is that thing even alive?” he thought to himself, getting a bit spooked.

Lucas saw the figure disappear from where it was, so he decided to get out of his hiding spot and go look for his friends.

While walking down the stairs to get to the first floor, he saw his friend Niki on the ground, crying.

She looked like she had just seen a ghost.

Lucas ran up to her, worried that something had happened.

“What's wrong?? Are you ok? What happened?” he worriedly asked.

“J-j-jaime… s-she-” Niki sobbed even harder.

“Niki… what happened to Jaime?” He asked, fearing where this was going.

“She's dead.”

“Found you.” said the low deep voice that had been tormenting them.

They both turned their heads to their sides, and saw a figure standing. It had a creepy smile on its face.

As both of them stared right into the eyes of the figure, they felt the air in their lungs slowly decreasing. Feeling like their eyes were going to pop. They couldn't breathe. Each of them let out a blood curdling scream as the air was being sucked out of their bodies. Blood started coming out of their mouths and then one by one they fell on the floor. Lifeless. Suffocated to death.

“Four.” the figure said and walked away to look for its next victim.

From the other side of the room, there stood Milo. He had been standing there, hiding behind a curtain for most of that game. When he first heard the voice, he wasn't bothered by it too much. He thought it was just Felix and Lucas trying to pull a prank on him. Then he saw Niki being a crying mess. He wanted to go up and comfort her but decided against it because it might have been a trick to catch him. It was now that he regretted that decision.

He got out of his hiding spot to check on his friends, but he just saw how lifeless their bodies were. He decided to go take a peek at the kitchen to investigate why Niki was crying so much.

In there, he found Jaimes body lying on the floor, looking similar to his other two friends but in a different position. 

As he was thinking, he looked at the clock hanging on the wall. 

“It's already 12:30. If what that figure was telling the truth then we got 2 and a half hours to hide and win.” Milo thought.

A few minutes after thinking and putting two and two together, he concluded that the strange figure could only kill you if you looked into its eyes.

“I need to find everyone else…” Milo mumbled and set off quietly to look for his other friends.

---Inside a random closet of the house

“Dude move you're stepping on my foot” said a hushed angry voice.

“Shut up it's not my fault you have a big fat bum and we got like no space thanks to it” a deep voice barked back.

“Who told you to hide with me then?”

“Shush i hear something”

There they were, both Chris and Felix hiding inside a closet in the hallway of the second floor. The both of them had been stuck inside the small closet for a while and it was starting to get uncomfortable.

“Hey… what do you think that voice was earlier? To be honest, I'm kinda creeped out by it.” mumbled felix.

“Don't worry, it was probably lucas trying to pull a prank on us”

“Well… that wasn't-”

“Boo”

The door of the closet fled open and Felix immediately looked towards it, getting scared by the sudden jumpscare.

However, he noticed that it wasn't one of his friends but a strange figure and then he let out a scream as the air was slowly leaving his body.

“FELIX!” yelled Chris as his friend's lifeless body fell on him.

From the side of his eyes, he could kinda see the figure

Expecting the same thing to happen to him, he closed his eyes and hugged his now deceased best friend tightly as some sort of way to comfort himself before he died

But nothing happened. 

“Three” Chris heard the voice say

A few seconds later, he opened his eyes to see that  the figure had left. Chris, still shocked from the situation that had unfolded in front of him, realized that the creepy voice belonged to the strange figure that had just left. 

As he stood up, he looked outside the closet to make sure that everything was clear.

“Im sorry, mate. I'll never forget about you.” he said as he took one last look at his best friend and then immediately set out to look for the remaining of his friends.

---12:45

“How boring.” exclaimed Kai. All this time had been hiding behind a wall on the rooftop while listening to music, waiting for one of friends to get there.

As he was about to stand up and leave the rooftop, the door flew open, and there came Milo, panting, as if he had been running for a while.

Which he had.

“I've been looking everywhere for you!” Worriedly exclaimed Milo as soon as he saw Kai on the rooftop.

“Great! Does that mean I won? I've been waiting for so long! Finally!” happily exclaimed Kai, unaware of the fact that they could get killed any second and that there were 4 dead bodies inside his house.

“No no no! You've got it All wrong!” Milo answered angrily.

“Awww so i'm not the las-”

“4 of us are dead! We are literally being hunted right now!” exasperated Milo.

Silence.

“What? You can't be serious right now….” said Kai while biting back some tears.

“I'm Not kiddi-”

The door flew open again and there came in a running chris

“Guys we are-!”

“Being hunted! We know.” said Milo unamused.

Then the three guys stood facing each other not knowing what to say.

“So… you guys are being for real?” asked Kai as some tears were dropping down from his eyes.

“Sadly we are” Chris responded.

“To stay alive, just don't look into its-”

“Gotcha.”

Kai, surprised by the sudden and new voice, turned back to see who it was

“DON'T LOOK AT IT” yelled Milo while pushing his friend to the ground.

But it was too late.

There they were, Milo and Chris, watching how his friend was slowly dying.

And they couldn't do anything about it.

Once Kai stopped screaming, they realized that he was now dead.

“What are you gonna do now, huh? We know your secret, you can't kill us now.” asked Chris in a low voice still looking at the body of, the now deceased, Kai

“Oh are you sure about that?” 

Before they even could sense it, the figure approached them and pushed Chris off of the three story high house.

“One left” mumbled the voice.

Without having to look up, Milo could tell what had just happened simply by the yelling of his friend falling down and the crack his body made before hitting the ground.

“You are the only one left now,” said the voice while chuckling. “Any last words?” 

“I can't let you have the satisfaction of killing every single one of us.”

“What?”

Milo threw himself off of the rooftop, marking the death of the whole friend group. 

“...Game Over.” said the voice and then disappeared.