I Can See Them | Teen Ink

I Can See Them

By syrushi BRONZE, Gilford, New Hampshire
syrushi BRONZE, Gilford, New Hampshire

Author's note:

Hello my name is Sydney. I am a high school student at Gilford High School. This piece of writing was very fun to write because I never wrote something like this before, it was new for me and I enjoyed it a lot. The idea just came to my head and I couldn't stop the flow of creativity once I started writing more and more. 

As Sophia grows up, her experiences with the paranormal becomes to much for her and her Mother.

I Can See Them

Mother said to never answer the door, even if they are home, but somehow I was feeling like the person at the door was looking for me. The repetitive knocks were getting louder and louder. “I’ll get it!” Mom called out from the laundry room. Without thinking about it, I was already walking towards the big white frame. I heard the rain outside, pouring off of the gutters, trickling off the window. I tried stopping myself, but my feet kept shuffling forward. More knocking occurred, even louder this time. “Can someone get the door?” Father called out from his office. “I’m trying!” Mother shouted. My hand trembles as I reach out to the door knob. As fast as I could, I opened the door to an old woman standing in front of me. The ladies long white dampened hair covered half of her face, only her lips and one of her tired eyes were shown through the locks. The top of her head was covered with a bonnet, and she was only in a white gown with a purple blanket slumped over her shoulders. “C-can I help you?” I muttered quietly. The frail woman smiled lightly and looked around, “I was looking for a woman by the name of Lily?” I looked behind me to the stairs that led up to the laundry room where my Mom was, “are you looking for my Mother?” The old lady blinked and gasped, “you must be Sophia, my you have your grandfather's eyes.” I awkwardly chuckled, “Do I know you?” The women moved closer, brushing the hair out of my face. I stumbled back a bit,  moving her hand away. The old woman frowned, “tell her I came by and that I love her,” her fragile hand  reached over and placed an object in the palm of my hands. I looked down and opened my hands to see a necklace, with an initial on it but I couldn’t make it out. I looked back up and the lady was gone, I looked around but all I could see was the night sky shedding tears onto the ground covered with orange and red leaves outside. Footsteps pummled behind me, down the stairs, making their way towards me. “Who was that?”, I turned my head to see Mother with her eyebrows ruffled up. “Some old lady” I nervously replied. I watched her as she reached over and closed the door, locking it from the top to bottom.  She turns to me, “what did she want?” I shrugged and backed up, “she was looking for you actually.” Her eyes narrowed and looked down at my hands, “what is in your hands?” I opened them and looked down at the accessory wrapped around my fingers. Before I could react, Mother walked towards me and grabbed the necklace out of my hands. I watched Mother as she studied the chain. Her eyes widened, “who gave this to you?” I stumbled away a bit, “Mother I don’t know I-” She walked towards me and took me by my shoulders, and shook me.

“WHO GAVE THIS TO YOU?” 

“Some old lady Mother, I don’t know who it was!”

I began to feel myself tear up, and go limp in her arms. I felt her arms slowly release me from her grasp. I fall on to the floor and cover my face, I try to speak through my sobs, “I’m sorry Mother, I shouldn’t have opened the door!” I uncover my face and wipe my eyes, “I’m sorry so sorry.” I look up and see Mother just frozen in place, staring at the necklace. Father rushed into the room, “what the hell is going on?” Mother finally moves and opens her mouth slightly to speak, she looks down at me then looks back at her hands. 

“This is my Mother’s necklace when she grew up, she had it on when we buried her years ago.”

“Now how old were you when you started seeing these spirits?” 

“It started when I was eight years old” I replied softly. The room was cold and dark, it didn’t feel as welcoming as I thought it would be. “You said that the first encounter was with your grandmother whom you never met?” the woman sitting in front of me asks hoarsly. “Yeah she came to me like she was actually alive” I mumbled softly. She nods slowly and writes on the thin paper laying in front of her, “I understand that you take medication for this?” the woman asked sternly while brushing her long black hair out of her face. “Yes olanzapine and ziprasidone.” The woman took her glasses off to wipe them, “have you been taking them reguraly?” I nodded slowly, and folded my hands in my lap. There were no windows in the room, just gray walls with boring paintings. The only thing colorful in this room was this loney purple flower in a vase behind her. “Do things still happen to you even when taking these pills by chance?” I focus back on her, “Oh, umm they do actually.” The woman made a displeasing face, “how often?” The last time it happened was yesterday when I was at a park, and this man sat next to me on the park bench. The man asked where 56th Westbrook Rd was and that he was lost and trying to find his family. I knew he was dead right off the back due to his coloration and him almost being tranparen.t I told him where to go, and he thanked me and faded away. I did not want to worry her so I lied, “I only have them like three times a month maybe.” She glared at me while tapping her notebook with her pen, “is that so?” I just nodded at her and looked down at my hands avoiding eye contact. “Well Ms. Sophia, you may need a higher dose of meds, haloperidol. I will contact your main doctor immediately after the session,” the cold woman says softly.  I just nod again, not saying another word. “Alright, well I will see you next Tuesday Ms. Sophia'', she grinned, “enjoy the rest of your week.” 

“Mom, I’m telling you, therapy is not working.” I placed the plates and utensils on the dinner table. “I do not care Sophia, these hallucinations need to stop”, Mother angrily replied, “these hallucinations are corrupting your brain and are affecting your work!” I gripped the butter knife tightly while placing it down, “they are not hallucinations, plus I’m not taking haloperidol, I’m not some old lady!” I went towards the kitchen and grabbed some cups from the cupboard. “It is the devil's work Sophia, you are taking those higher meds while you like it or not!” Mother scolded as she finished up putting the dinner on the table. Instead of arguing with Mother, I ignored her.  As I placed the last cup down at the table, I turned to see Mother gently placing her hand on my shoulder, “I am only looking out for you Sophia, besides you just got into your dream college, why ruin your chance now?” I just sighed and hugged her, “you’re right Mother, I’m sorry.” She gently smiles and kisses me on the forehead tenderly, walking away with food in her other hand. I have always said that to her to get off my back, but now even those words don’t mean anything to me. As we finished up with dinner, I went back up to my room and fell on to my bed. I never was fully understood by my family nor friends. They always thought I was making stuff up for attention or that there is something wrong with me. I teared up  and silently sobbed into my pillow, making sure that my parents couldn’t hear me cry out. I started to hear faint scratches around me along with my lamp beginning to flicker. I picked my head up and looked around, “Hello?” I knew a spirit was trying to communicate with me so calling out to them was the only way I knew how to reach them. I felt myself tense up as I  held my breath. My head began to pound, along with my heart. Sweat started to trickle down my forehead as I felt myself getting dizzy. Faint whispers wisped around my room, but I couldn’t make them out. I try calling out again, “come forth and talk to me, I am a friend!” I grabbed a hold of my head and closed my eyes in sharp pain, “please stop this!” Suddenly, everything stopped and as I opened my eyes, a tall man stood with his back to me, his shoulders were dropped like he was slouching. I sat up and looked at the stranger standing in the middle of my room, “sir, do you need help?” The figure stood there for a moment with no movement, then he slowly turned around with his hands clenched up into fists. The tall man wore shredded clothing, his face was messy along with his hair, his eyes were tired and almost sad looking. I backed away a bit and clenched my blankets, I was never really afraid of spirits that came to me but this one was the first spirit that gave me a bad gut feeling. The tall man blinked at me and looked around my room with a swift move of his head, then studied me heavily, “I am looking for my daughter.” I got out of bed without thinking and stood in front of him, “Well what is your daughters name sir?” His sad dark eyes met mine, “no one you would know I suppose.” I didn’t know what to do but watch him make his way to my window and peak through the curtains. “Okay so what do you want me to do?” I asked shortly. This is so out of the ordinary for spirits to visit me in my room, but I wasn’t going to leave him alone and lost. “Look”, the man turned to me, “this is my old living area and my daughter passed here so I just thought I would find her here.” I recognized that he knew that he was a ghost, which made this probably harder on him since he was expecting his daughter to be here. “I can call out to her if you would like”, I inch towards him, “it usually works.” His baggy eyes looked me up and down, “how can you see me?” I shrugged, “I’ve been seeing spirits since I was kid, it’s a gift I guess.”  He scoffed and closed the curtain as he walked away towards my vanity, picking up pictures set on top  of the furniture, “I just missed my girl, she must be elsewhere, I will get out of your hair.” My door swung open, hitting the wall behind it, “Sophia Mary Joseph!” I jumped out and saw my Mother with a concerned look, “Mother!”I turned away from Mother to look at the man but he was nothing but air. “Who on god’s earth were you talking to?” Mother asks, clenching her phone in her hand tightly. I felt myself gulp and think of a lie to say, “I uh was talking to myself!” She stared at me with a blank gaze, and made her way towards me. She motions to my bed, and we both make it to my bed and sit down. “Are you okay?” she asks me softly. I looked at her with a puzzled expression, “yes Mother I’m fine, why would you ask that?” I watched her look around my room and sigh under her breath, “I’m just concerned for you Soph, I know you weren’t talking to yourself.” I fell back on to my bed and ran my hands down my face, “you think I’m insane don’t you?” I saw her shake her head, but deep down I knew that’s exactly what she thought, that I was some crazy lunatic of a daughter.  “I just want what is better for you” I hear her reply softly. “I just want to know that you are okay, I care and love you so much” she gently smiled at me and wrapped her arm around my shoulders. For a second, I felt like she meant what she said, that there was a possibility that she finally understands me. I feel her arms bring me in for a hug and wrap me around in her warmth, her familiar vanilla scent flooded my nostrils. “I’m going to help you baby” I hear Mother say through held back tears. Suddenly, I felt a sharp jab in my neck like I got stung by a wasp. At first I thought that was what it was, but my body felt heavy and my brain became fuzzy. I could feel the bones in my body just go limp, making me panic more. “I’m sorry sweetie, this is for the best” I heard her muffled voice as I became faint and limp. I felt no more physical pain, all I felt was emotional pain, betrayel. I suddenly felt my body drop and all I saw was pitch black.

Sophia wakes up in an asylum, confused and outraged, she struggles to find a way out. 

A steady beep started to ring through my head, making me wince awake. I slowly opened my eyes, to see my arm patched with different things put into it. The beeping got louder, the light somehow grew brighter, and when I tried sitting up I instantly fell backwards onto the bed. “Whoa, keep it steady there”, a female voice said by me, “you aren’t quite ready yet there.” The voice chuckled and walked up to me and put her arms on me. My eyes finally focused on the figure, it was a woman with blonde hair put back and big almond shaped blue eyes and her cheeks were rosy red. “Hi sunshine, glad to see you are awake, how do you feel?” the bright woman said while typing on her laptop. “Where am I?” I managed to say.  I felt no power to move or even speak, my body didn’t even feel like it was attached to my body. I felt a cold object be stuck into my ear, sending a cold shiver down my spine, I heard her muffle something to herself and write stuff down. I looked around more to see that I was in a hospital like room, although the windows had bars on them, and I was laying on a hospital bed. My heart starts to ache, “I said, WHERE am I?” The woman stops talking to herself and turns to me, “Oh you are in the Child Sanctuary Health Center honey, your Mom asked me to take very good care of you!” Bars on the window, big metal doors, and a overally nice nurse, this wasn’t any hospital I have ever been too. “Where is Mother, she must be worried about me, tell her to come in” I sat up and tried leaving the bed but felt my feet not being able to  move. I look down and see rusted chains on them, forming perfectly around my bruised ankles. “She is the one who brought you here, she thinks you need some time to relax and get more help!” the woman walks over to me and takes one of my wrists, clipping them to some more chains. Time began to feel slow, I looked at my wrist and up at her, and her giant smile turned into sudden worry. She spoke but I couldn’t hear anything except excessive beeping coming from the monitor. It got faster and faster, and my body started to wriggle around and fight. I knew the woman called for help because I heard a muffled yell and others dressed in blue outfits. All of them held my weak body down and I felt a sharp needle in my arm causing my body to stop and fall back. I had so much anger but not enough to make me fight more and more. As my body dropped, all I could feel was dejection. My own Mother would do this to me, my own blood, I felt like a fool. I couldn’t move my body, I just laid there staring at all the different faces surrounding me. “Her body should be weak enough for you to put more meds into her system without her fighting and flailing around” I heard a stern voice say by me. I heard footsteps walking away and heard the tip taps of the woman by me touching her electronics. “I shouldn’t be here” I grumbled and was able to turn my head toward the woman. She looked up at me and I got to see her name tag, “Louise, I don’t belong here.” She shakes her head and smiles slightly, “sure you do honey, you have a very special case that this whole building  has dealt with a couple times before and we helped them.” She walks over to me and places the back of her hand on my forehead then strokes my hair back out of my face. I moved my head away from her, and her head just stuck in the air. Her brightness started to fade and her smile went away, “just you wait, you will be happy your Mom blessed you.” I laughed and pushed myself up a bit, my arms shook heavily with the effort of pushing myself up  to place my face in front of hers, “I would rather die.” I could see that she wanted to say more, but all she did was fix the stuff attached to me angerily, gather her belongings and make her way to the door. “You be careful of what you wish for” she growled to me softly as she turned her head and went out the door. I laid there and stared at the ceiling, my anger boiling second by second. I looked around my area and tried thinking of ways to get myself out of this stiff mattress. “Hello miss” a jolly little voice called out to me. I turned around sharply to see a young girl standing in a white gown, long brown hair and bright green eyes. The young girl smiled and swiftly moved to me, “ah so you do see me?” I nodded and smiled back at her, “yes I do.” She shifts her body and wipes down her gown, “well ain’t that just comical.” I lifted myself  and steadied my body weight on my elbows that kept me up, “Who are you?” The little girl studies me and walks over to the monitor, gently resting her hand on it, “My name is Elizabeth, but you Sophia, can call me El.” I looked at her and I could see the white border around her silhouette, “you know my name?” She nods, “I was in here since you arrived, and I overheard the nurse talking amongst themselves!” The girl twirls around the room angelicly, swiftly moving side to side. Her body was light like a feather dancing in the wind, and her hair flowed smoothly while she moved up and down. “Why are you here?”I ask her mid twirl, “I mean I’m seeing you for a reason right?” El stops, “I have been here for many many years, the same reason you are here for, this used to be my room.” I searched her face, it was pale white and her smile was turned into a frown. I watch as she makes her way to a corner of the bare wall, touching some carving on the wall, “my Father was the one who put me in here, and I was a damn fool for believing him that there was somethin wrong about me.” The ticking of the clock and beeping of the monitor was the only sound I heard after El spoke. She looked back at me and sadly smiled, “I guess we are both fools.” Her swift movements came towards me, “this is not a good place young Sophia, you must escape.” I sat straight up, my body not aching an inch, “why?” Her eyes turned dark, “no time to explain.” She turned to look at the door, I moved my head with her motion and looked as well. A young woman walked in with the same blue outfit and closed the door behind her “Hello miss Sophia I’m nurse Jolie, I’m just coming in to give you a few details  if that’s alright.” I watched her as she made it near me, she held tightly onto the clipboard she held and stood next to me. “I have been notified that we have to be giving you haloperidol by your referring doctor and wants you to take them every night before bed” she looks at me with a big smile on her face. She takes out this big bottle of pills and places them on the counter next to me. “When you need a refill make sure to talk to me ok?” the young nurse gave a thumbs up to me and started to write down on her papers. I need to get out of here, but how? “Okay so the first thing is that our sleep schedule here is 9:00 exactly due to us having specific patients who need a good night's sleep”, she takes out a piece of paper from her clipboard and places it on the counter beside her, “this is our full schedule, you can take a good look at it later if you’d like.” I needed to get out of here, fast. I slouched back into my bed and laid my arms beside me, “can you loosen these chains up, they are beginning to hurt my ankles.” She lifts up her head and smiles at me again, “of course, don’t want you feeling uncomfortable in your new bed.” A bit too late for that lady. I watched as she whipped out different shaped keys and moved over to loosen my anklets. She  loosened up my right ankle and started to try and lock it in place. Adrenaline hit me and I suddnely flet my body jerk forward and smash my head against hers. The pain scorched through my head and started to pound. The impact of my head made the lady fall straight back and collapse on the cold floor. Everything happened so quickly I didn’t even have time to react so fast. I paused and stared at the nurse who’s head started to bleed, then realized the keys were at the end of the bed. I reached over and unlocked the chains on my ankle and stood up. As soon I stood up, dots started to form in my vision making me stumble back on to my bed. “Miss you need to hurry” I heard a soft voice say to me. I got up and grabbed a syringe, stuffing it into my pocket quickly as I walked to the door. I made my way into the hallway and gingerly strutted down it. I noticed how every door I passed by was the same, and all the kids I passed by looked like they haven’t slept in days. Time seemed to slow down as I started to walk down the cold hallway faster. I looked up to see nurses huddled around in a room, sharing conversations while drinking their warm coffee together. I started making my way down the hallway then saw the nurse that I knocked down standing at a counter talking frantically with this woman. I put my head down and covered my face with my hair, hoping to get by quickly. “There she is, she was the little monster who hit me!” I heard a voice shout. Before I could even think, my feet started down the hallway as fast as they could. A siren began to echo down the hall, and people began to stumble behind me and try to get me. Kids started to pop their heads out of their rooms and nurses were coming out of rooms with syringes in their grasp. I manuvered around them all and looked up to see an exit sign ahead of me. I turned my head around to see so many people running after me, “see you later sh*theads!” I turned my head back around to see tall men dressed in all black with big weapons held in their grasp. I felt my body cramp up, like how you feel a cramp in your leg, but it was my entire body. My muscles spasmed and my whole body just seized up, making me collapse on the cold floor. 

“Okay Sophia, have you been taking your medicine on the daily every night?” I nodded and smiled at the nurse, “I have yes, never missed one.” She smiles back at me and gives me another bottle of meds, “I’ll come back and check on you in a bit, you get some rest before we open presents!” As she walks out I pull out my phone to see a text from Mother, “can’t wait to see you soon, I’ll bring your favorite, crinkle cookies!” I grabbed my house coat and put on my slippers and made sure I had every present I needed. Life has been simple here, I have started to sleep better and I even made new friends. As I started to turn the rigid door knob I heard a light whisper coming from behind me. “You have been misled I presume.” I spin my head around to see El sittig on my bed, her hands clasped together on her lap. I roll my eyes and turn back around, “misled by what?” I hear a soft giggle and movement of feet, “them nurse folk, they are treating you like a poor sick baby, silly really what they are doing.” I clench my fists and drop my presents on the ground, “you know, I get you have a bad past with this place but I am doing just fine.” I turn around and walk toward her with my fists hidden under my folded arms. “My bad past is why I am here to help you miss, you are blinded by the smiles of those around you, you need to be weary!” El says to me in a loud angry tone. I drop my arms and look at the clock above her, “listen, I’m just dealing with this place till I get to leave in a few months, then I can be gone and live with my Mother again.” The room became freezing cold and dark, making me get a shiver down my spine. “You are completely ignorant, do you not remember what your so-called Mother did to you?” El walked up to me and stood in front of me with her hands on her hips. I scoffed, “she meant to help me and I forgave her by the help of the nuns.” El just laughed in my face and waved her finger in my face, “you are not yourself Sophia, you need to stop taking those medications, you have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes, miss!” I walk to the door and pick my presents back up, “why should I listen to you, hell I’m not even supposed to see you, my meds have made me stop seeing spirits for a few months now.” El then flashed in front of me which made me tumble back a bit, having to catch my balance. “You will see in time miss, this place is not what you think”, she says to me, “your brain is not in the right place.” I opened the door and walked past her and made my way to the cafeteria, pretending to not be disturbed by what she said. I am happy here, safe here, I am better here. 

Leaving off with a cliff hanger, Sophia remembers why she was brought here in the first place and tries to fight her way out.

After gifts I walked around the facility with Mother. It was nice catching up with her and talking about how I was helping myself so I could return home.

“Dear, I’m so glad you are helping yourself” Mother said in a gentle tone. She held me in her arms and kissed the top of my head. “Mother knows best, remember that!” she said as she walked out of the building, leaving me to stare after her as the door closed. I strolled back into my room and went to grab my pills I take before bed. “Stop taking them” a soft angry voice said to me as I opened the pill cap. “Why!” I shout. I looked around the room for El, but I couldn’t see her anywhere. “You will see what I am talking about, stop taking your meds for at least this night, in the morning you will understand, miss” I turn to the corner of the room to see El with her white gown glowing in the dark. 

For her satisfaction, I didn’t take them. I felt weird about not taking them, and every bone in my body said to take them. I faught the urge and struggled to sleep. I woke up with the sound of dripping from the faucet coming from my faucet. I got up and went to go see the faucet and turn it off so I could go back to back. I turned on the bathroom light and turned the dripping faucet off. I looked up to see my reflection in the  dirty mirror. I was staring back at myself and fixed my hair. As I did so, the reflection of me had a smile on her face. I shook my head to see if I was dreaming, I even pinched myself, but I wasn’t. I could see my reflection staring back at me with a grin. I moved back and hit the wall behind me, and gasped. “What the hell!” I mumble to myself. Was this paranormal? Does this go with my ability? My reflection, with her creepy grin, just stared at me, not moving to my movements at all. I ran out of the bathroom and closed the door shut behind me. I held my head steady to focus, but when I looked up I saw my bed and all the equipment around me. I became dizzy to the point that I had to fall on the floor. I’m not supposed to be here, why am I still here? “Are you okay sweetie?” a soft paniced voice asked me. I slowly got back up and noticed another nurse kneeling down by me. Without hesitation I get up and move away from her quickly, “get away from me!” My anxiety got to be too much to the point that I grabbed a needle myself. The nurse stumbled back and froze, “Sophia what is going on with you, it’s me Jolie.” I held on to the needle so hard my knuckles started to ache. I watched as she narrowed her eyes and took a step closer, making me tense up even more. “Get away!” I screamed at her. “You didn’t take your pill did you?” I hear her softly murmur to herself. More nurses rushed in the room and all I could see was the evil grin my refelction gave me when I was in the bathroom. I felt sick and my body felt hot, to where I felt dizzy once again. “Where is my Mother!” I managed to shout at the nurses. All of them shook their heads at the same time. “You don’t have one anymore, she doesn’t want anything to do with you after this mess” a male nurse said to me with a syringe in his hand as well. “No! She loves me!” I choked out as I fought the urge to fall on the ground. The clicking of the clock got louder and the nurses got closer. “I’m warning you stay away!” I backed away more from them into a different corner of the room. Suddenly, four of them rushed at me and strangled my body with rope and syringes. I felt several jabs in my body, making me yell and shout in pain. I fought harder and harder until my body couldn’t anymore. “Take her to the black room”, a muffled rough voice said, “she needs more help than we thought.”