Shatter | Teen Ink

Shatter

February 5, 2020
By Snowball2004, Easley, South Carolina
More by this author
Snowball2004, Easley, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I swear to drunk I'm not God" -Squirtle from Pokemon Talk, created by MandJTV on YouTube.


The author's comments:

 

 

The time is 19:00, and Zach is browsing an antique store with Grace. 

“How is this?” Zach asked as he picked up a doll that was about seven inches long with a beautiful white dress and had a pink bow with long blond hair; it also had a pearl necklace, and it was holding a flower.

“No, that’s horrifying,” Grace said. 

“Fine,” Zach shrugged as he threw the doll back into the shelf. 

Zach and Grace walked out of aisle three and went to the next aisle. As Zach was walking, a particular thing caught his eye. It was a video game titled Shatter. 

“Grace, I’m getting this!” Zach exclaimed as he picked it up. 

“What is that?” Grace questioned with confusion as she looked at the front of the case. 

The word “shatter” was centered in the middle and had a slight arc going down. The design had glass shattering with some blood in the background. 

“Oh, and it’s only $5!” Zach smiled. 

“Exactly what kind of game is that?” Grace asked. 

“Hang on. Let me read the synopsis from the back,” Zach requested as he turned the case over and began reading. 

Welcome to the new experience that is brought to you 

by Kitten-Stein’s Electronic Store. This new, thrilling 

game starts where you, the player, are to investigate an abandoned house. Inside the house is a serial killer. You have to find and kill the killer before they kill you. 

“So, a horror game?” Grace thought. 

“Yeah! It’s going to be so much fun! I’m going to invite some of my friends to join us!” Zach stated. 

“Who said I’m going to play with you guys?” Grace wondered. 

“You’ll play,” Zach protested. “Well, I’m going to buy this game.” 

Zach walked over to the counter and put Shatter on the counter. 

“Ah, good find!” the clerk complimented. “Will that be all?” 

“Yes,” Zach answered as he pulled out five dollars from his wallet. 

“I actually aided in making this game,” the clerk said trying to make small talk. “In my biased opinion, it’s great!” 

“Can you explain to me a little bit more about this game?” Zach asked. 

“Sure!” the clerk smiled. “You put the disk into the counsel and you click the start button. When you start, you cannot stop until the game is complete or you will lose. There is no pause button. You have to find and kill Lakier Yeash and his partner, Roana Vencarda, in order to win the game. Lakier is the brains and has set up traps around the house. Roana is the bronze, somewhat, and is equipped with all sorts of crazy weapons. I believe the last guy who played this died from Roana using a pen that turned into a sword.” 

“They actually died?” Zach questioned. 

“I mean in the game,” the clerk corrected. “Regardless, it is a difficult and thrilling game.” 

“Sounds great!” Zach exclaimed. “I can’t wait to play it with my friends!” 

“Yeah, however, the more players there are doesn’t affect how strong Lakier and Roana are,” the clerk warned. “This game is going to be the best game of your life!” 

“Zach, we need to get going!” Grace shouted from across the small antique store. 

“Okay, well, nice talking to you,” Zach said as he picked up Shatter and made his way to the door. 

“Zach, if there are any other questions about the game, don’t hesitate to call,” the clerk stated. “I put my number on the receipt. By the way, I’m Alex.” 

“Oh, okay,” Zach replied as Grace started pushing him out of the door. 

Zach and Grace arrived back at Zach’s house. Zach started inviting his friends over to play Shatter with him. 

“Oh, I guess I can take some time out of my schedule to play a childish game with a child,” Gale sarcastically said. 

“Okay, 19:00, my house,” Zach replied as he hung up. 

“I don’t know why you’re still friends with that jerk,” Grace stated as she lounged on the couch. 

“Because everyone deserves a chance,” Zach stated. “Also, that was rude of you to push me out of that antique store when I was trying to talk to the store clerk.” 

“If you want to talk to him, why don’t you just call him?” Grace asked. “He gave you his number, didn’t he?” 

“I guess I could, but let me invite my other friends first,” Zach said as he started calling again. 

Zach dialed Amy and waited for a response. 

“Oh, yeah!” Amy shouted. “Sophie, Bob, and I can join you!” 

“Well, I guess I’ll see y’all in about thirty minutes!” Zach finished as he hung up. 

The clock hit 19:00, and Zach’s friends started to arrive. First, Sophie, Bob, and Amy arrived. The second was Joe. And the last person to arrive was Gale. They opened up their Nintendo Switches and joined Zach’s game. 

“Oh, video games! I’m the best at those!” Gale gloated. 

“Sure you are!” Joe sarcastically agreed. “However, I’m still better.” 

“No, you’re not!” Gale protested. 

“Let’s see who’s better!” Amy suggested as she blew her bubble gum. 

“I’m down for some fun!” Bob said as she drank her latte. 

“Let’s get started!” Zach announced as he launched the game. 

“Welcome to Shatter!” the game monologued in a deep and sinister voice. “You and your friends visit an abandoned house and get locked in with some murderers. You and your friends must kill the murderers and escape the house in order to win the game. Please select the ‘Agree & Next’ button.” 

“Agree? Agree on what?” Sophie asked. 

“Let me go win this game already!” Gale stated as he selected the button on his switch. 

Everyone agreed and continued the game. The game continued to explain the rules. 

“The game can not be paused or exited or you will lose,” the game paused and laughed and then continued. “The evil Lakier Yeash and his partner Roana Vencarda are the two main killers. There will be others along the way, but these are the main ones you have to look out for. The game shall start in 3...2...1…” 

The giant START caption popped up and shattered a glass pane that was in front of it, kind of like the cover design for the box. 

“Alright!” Gale shouted with excitement. 

“I’m going to kick your butt!” Joe challenged. 

“Yeah, if you could kick me, you paraplegic!” Gale insulted. 

“Woah! Too far!” Amy stated as she popped her bubble gum. 

“Not cool,” Bob agreed as she drank her latte. 

“Okay, sorry,” Gale fakely apologized. 

“Close enough,” Amy shrugged as she started playing. 

Everyone looked around the game on their screens. The lighting was dim and gray. The interior had some cracked wood. There were cobwebs in every corner and a hole in the middle of the floor. There is a staircase in the middle of the house that leads to the second level. The living room, dining room, and kitchen were all connected. Everyone was equipped with a weapon: Zach had a shield, Joe had a machete, Gale had a knife, Grace had a sword, Amy had a spear, Sophie had a bat, and Bob had a crowbar. Gale wandered off to the dining room. Bob, Amy, and Sophie went into the kitchen. Joe went upstairs. Zach and Grace stayed in the living room. The lights started to flicker on and off as a shadow passed Gale on his screen. 

“Oh, look at me! It looks like I’m fighting the first villain!” Gale bragged. 

The lights in Zach’s living room started to flicker as the temperature dropped. 

“Zach, can you turn up the heat? My brilliant body can’t work in these types of,” Gale stopped to take a dramatic pause, “extreme temperatures.” 

“I’ll do it eventually,” Zach said as he tried to ignore Gale. 

Gale’s switch got a glimpse of the figure at the doorway between the dining room and living room. The figure had bright, glowing yellow pentagram eyes. It had a wicked smile. 

“Woah, look at this guy!” Gale stated as he showed his switch to everyone. 

“Who’s that supposed to be?” Amy asked with a monotone voice.  

“Probably some demon,” Bob thought as she drank her latte. “It’s probably the demon who created the game as part of a funny reference, and it’s using its powers to power the game.” 

“That’s crazy talk,” Joe blurted as he resumed his game. 

“Regardless,” Gale continued. “It might be Rowboat or Lake Erie. I’m going to try to kill it!” 

“Well, it could be one of their minions,” Grace reminded as if she didn’t care. 

“Nah! You’re just jealous that I’m going to win!” Gale denied as he went back to playing. 

Gale’s avatar held up his knife and waved it at the Star-Eyed Demon. The guy tilted its head slightly to the right, keeping his sinister smile. Gale’s avatar slowly walked towards him. When his avatar got to the guy, he pulled back the knife. He stabbed the guy, but the knife went straight through as the guy disappeared into gas. 

Lexa- I think you missed! 

Gale’s avatar was thrown from the dining room into the kitchen wall. Bob, Amy, and Sophie’s avatars drew their weapons as the mysterious guy slowly walked into the room. Zach and Grace’s avatar ran into the kitchen through the living room. The guy started to laugh as the lights in Zach’s house started to flicker, and the temperature dropped drastically. 

“What’s happening?” Joe asked. 

“This is scaring me!” Grace shouted as she huddled up next to Zach. 

“I don’t like this!” Bob stated as she drank her latte. 

“Meh,” Amy shrugged as another pop sound came from her smacking her bubble gum. 

All of a sudden, the lights cut off and cut back on. Everyone resumed playing. When the lights cut back on, the guy was standing over Gale’s avatar. Gale made his avatar look up to see the guy holding an anvil over his head. The guy dropped the anvil. As soon as the anvil hit, Gale’s switch’s screen shattered. Glass went flying within a two feet radius. Everyone but Amy jumped. 

“Well, I see why they call it Shatter,” Bob laughed as she drank her latte. “Eh?” 

“My switch?!” Gale shouted. “My beautiful, one of a kind, custom made switch!” 

“I’m sorry,” Zach apologized as he put his game down. 

“Zach, that thing is on the move! You better run!” Sophie warned as she spammed buttons. 

“I got you!” Joe shouted as he started rapidly pressing buttons. 

Joe’s avatar cut the guy in half. 

“You are buying me a new switch!” Gale yelled as he started heading towards the door. 

“I’m sorry!” Zach repeated as he grabbed Gale’s wrist. 

“Get off, you stupid piece of crap!” Gale shouted as he shoved Zach. 

“Gale!” Grace snapped as she dropped her switch and paced over to them. “I have had it with your rude and childish behavior! Get out of this house!” 

“You still owe me a new switch!” Gale protested. 

“What I’m going to give you is a switch from life to death,” Grace threatened. 

“You think you can beat the most magnificent Gale?!” Gale sarcastically boasted. “Ha!” 

“I hope a real anvil drops on your pathetic head!” Grace screamed as she took Zach back with the others. 

“You know what? That wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen to me! Heck, I would love that if that happened to me!” Gale yelled as he continued towards the door. 

The lights started to flicker as a shadow passed Gale and threw him against the wall in Zach’s living room. 

“What the…?!” Gale screamed in terror. 

The guy wickedly laughed as he held an anvil over Gale and dropped it. The anvil fell on Gale’s head and splat him all over the place. The guy disappeared into thin air, leaving everyone freaked out. 

Joe, Sophie, and Bob dropped their switches on the ground. Grace held Zach in fear as they looked at Gale’s splattered body all over the carpet. 

“Call the clerk!” Grace demanded. “He said to call him about any questions!” 

“Good idea!” Zach agreed as he pulled his phone out of his pocket. 

“We’re all going to die!” Bob panicked. 

“I can’t die! Not yet!” Sophie cried. 

I’m going to die crippled!” Joe yelled. 

Zach ran over to the counter where he put his receipt with Alex’s phone number on it. He quickly dialed the number and hoped for him to answer. 

“Yellow?” Alex asked as he picked up his phone. 

“What is with Shatter?! It just killed a decent… respectable… it just killed a person!” Zach questioned very fast. 

“Oh, yeah!” Alex recalled. “I forgot to mention that if you die in the game, you die in real life! And don’t forget, you can’t pause or exit the game or you also lose!” 

“You forgot to mention that the game kills people?!” Zach interrogated. 

“It’s marketing purposes. Plus, you’re already stuck in the game. Might as well play it through,” Alex suggested. 

“We’re not going to play your horrible…” Zach shouted into the phone as he realized that Alex hung up. 

“Zach!” Amy called. “He’s right! The game is still going. No one knows who will be next.” 

Just then, Joe’s switch shattered. A shadow started moving across the room. 

“No!” Joe screamed. 

The shadow moved behind Joe and formed into a female with long and messed up black hair. She was wearing a torn-up red dress. She pulled out a switchblade and slit Joe’s neck. Blood started to squirt out onto Sophie. 

“Oh, goose!” Sophie screeched as blood started to stain her blue shirt. 

“Start playing!” Amy shouted. 

“Okay!” Zach stated as he picked up his switch. 

Everyone scattered to their switches and resumed playing. When Zach looked at his switch, his avatar was strapped down to a chair. 

Crap! I’m trapped!” Zach yelled. 

“Where are you?” Amy asked. 

“I don’t know,” Zach answered. 

A man wearing a blue torn-up tuxedo with messed up brunet hair stood over Zach’s avatar. He flipped a lever that opened up a glass case. Zach’s avatar was trying to break free, but it couldn’t. He slowly started to make his finger push the button. A spear flew into the room. The man ducked and turned his head towards Amy’s avatar rushing in. Amy’s avatar pushed the man away from the button. Then, Grace’s and Sophie’s avatar came through the door. The man pushed a button in the wall, which opened up a part in the wall, and ran through. The wall closed as the man disappeared. Grace’s avatar unstrapped Zach’s avatar as Amy’s avatar followed the path that the guy took. Sophie followed close behind Amy as they tried to activate the passage. 

“I think that was Lakier,” Amy stated. “We can’t let him get away.” 

“And the thing that killed Joe was probably Roana,” Sophie observed. 

“Bob, what are you doing?” Grace asked. 

“I’m making a latte,” Bob answered. 

“I mean in the game,” Grace corrected. 

“Yeah, I’m making a latte in the game. They have a latte maker,” Bob repeated. 

“Okay?” Grace said as she stared at Bob with a blank stare and went back to playing. 

“There’s a nice woman who’s also drinking a latte with me,” Bob stated. 

“What?!” Zach questioned. 

“Yeah, she has messed up hair with a beautiful ragged dress,” Bob described. “She’s sitting in the chair next to me drinking the lattes I made.” 

“Bob! That’s Roana! Kill her!” Amy demanded. 

A text message appeared at the bottom of Bob’s switch. She showed everyone what it said. 

Roana- Thanks for the latte! It was the best I ever had! For your hospitality, I shall leave you alone… for now. 

“Is she serious?” Amy asked in disbelief. 

Roana stood up from the chair and walked away. A girl with a torn-up magenta dress stood in front of Zach’s avatar. 

Lipens- Ooo! We have new guest! Well, then, I guess I’ll have to do my best! I’m not going to lie. All of you are going to die! 

The girl pulled out a little stick that looks like a laser pointer. She pressed the button, and a scythe came out of it. She jumped up and started swinging the scythe around. Zach’s avatar put up his shield and started blocking the attacks. Grace’s avatar came up behind the girl and sliced her in half with her sword. 

“These minions are stronger than the actual main villains?!” Grace observed. 

Amy and Sophie’s avatar opened up the passage, and they started running down it. Amy and Sophie’s avatar ended up at a split in the path. 

“We should split up,” Amy suggested as she blew her gum. 

“No, it’s too risky,” Sophie refused. 

Amy’s avatar went left as Sophie’s avatar followed hers. Sophie’s avatar stepped on a pressure plate and triggered a trap. A blade, the length of the hall and attached to a string, came swinging down in front of Amy and Sophie’s avatar. Amy’s avatar ducked as the blade cut Sophie’s avatar in two. Sophie’s switch shattered in her hands as a blade cut Sophie’s body in two. 

“Arg!” Amy grunted. 

Amy’s avatar found herself at a wall with some words written on it. Zach and Grace’s avatar quickly followed Amy’s avatar. The wall had three buttons on it. 

“To get past this wall, you must answer this question. If you get the question incorrectly, spikes will come out of the walls and kill you,” the game narrated. “Get to chase eon post” 

The three buttons were labeled “One,” “Two,” and “Three.” 

“That doesn’t make sense!” Grace yelled. 

“What could that mean?” Amy questioned as she smacked her bubble gum. 

“Wait, words that don’t make sense!” Zach thought. “It’s an anagram!” 

“A what?” Amy asked. 

“An anagram,” Zach repeated. “You rearrange the letters to make a new word or sentence.” 

“I’m getting a pen and paper,” Grace said as she put down her switch. “Make sure I don’t die.” 

“I will!” Zach answered. 

Grace wrote down the sentence and started rearranging the letters. 

“The answer is one!” Grace shouted. “It says ‘To get past, chose one.’” 

“Okay,” Zach hesitantly responded. “Are you sure?” 

“Yes,” Grace replied. 

“Okay, here goes nothing,” Zach said. 

Zach’s avatar hit “one,” and the wall started to open, revealing the room Lakier was in. 

Lakier- Well, I guess I’m cornered. 

Amy’s avatar thrusted her spear at Lakier. Lakier dodged and punched Amy’s avatar, knocking her avatar backwards. Grace’s avatar swung her sword at Lakier. Lakier pulled out a sai and deflected the sword. Zach’s avatar rammed Lakier back into a wall. Zach’s avatar dropped his head as Grace’s avatar chopped Lakier’s head off. 

“Woo!” Grace cheered as she let out a heavy sigh. 

“That was amazing!” Zach exclaimed. 

“Hang on, we’re not done!” Amy shouted as she noticed a familiar figure in the game. 

Roana came up at the end of the hallway. 

Roana- Lakier! My beloved Lakier! 

Roana came bolting down the hallway. Zach’s avatar flipped a lever, and the wall started to close up. The wall closed up before Roana could get to it. Roana started pounding on the wall. Zach and Grace’s avatar looked at Amy’s avatar and saw Amy’s avatar bleeding with a dagger in her chest. Then, Amy felt her chest and noticed the blood coming from it. 

“She got me,” Amy stated as she put down her switch and leaned back. 

“Amy?” Bob questioned as she put her latte down. 

A bunch of wounds started opening up everywhere on Bob. Bob looked down at her switch to see Roana with a dagger. Bob’s switch shattered. Bob fell down and died before she hit the floor. 

Roana- ARG!!! 

“Amy?” Zach said as he leaned over to her. 

“I’ll be fine, just finish the game!” Amy ordered as the sound of gum smacking ended, and her switch shattered. 

“That’s it, we’re winning this game!” Grace stated. 

Zach and Grace both got back on their switch and were determined to win. Zach’s avatar went over to a secret passage. Zach and Grace’s avatar followed the secret passage and found themselves in the living room. There was a small girl holding a straight razor welcoming them as they popped through the secret passage. 

Miley- What do we have here? 

Miley charged Grace’s avatar. Zach’s avatar pushed Miley in another direction. Miley cut Zach’s avatar in the cheek with the straight razor. A cut opened up on Zach’s cheek, and blood started slowly dripping down his face. Zach’s avatar drew a knife and stabbed Miley in the forehead. Zach’s avatar got up as he saw Roana. 

Roana- I can’t wait to tear you to shreds! 

Roana pulled out a lance from her back. Grace’s avatar drew her sword and proceeded to attack. Roana blocked Grace’s avatar’s sword. She spun her lance around her body and slashed Grace’s avatar in the stomach. Roana brought up her lance and smacked Grace’s avatar in the face with the back end. Grace’s avatar dropped her sword. Zach’s avatar picked up the sword. Roana readied her lance. 

Roana- Let’s go! 

Zach’s avatar and Roana lunged towards each other. Zach’s avatar’s shield blocked Roana’s consistent strikes. Zach waited for the perfect time, and when it came, he didn’t hesitate. When Roana was spinning her lance, Zach’s avatar chopped right into Roana in her side. Roana dropped her sword as the sound of locks unlocking followed. The front door slowly popped open. Zach’s avatar looked at Grace’s avatar to see her losing blood. Zach looked up to see what he just saw on the screen. 

“Grace?” Zach cried. “Stay with me!” 

“Zach,” Grace started as she coughed up blood. 

“Don’t leave me!” Zach sobbed. 

“Finish the game!” Grace whispered as her switch shattered. 

Zach cried for a couple of seconds over Grace’s dead body before he realized what she just said. Zach grabbed his switch and was ready to win. Zach’s avatar started moving towards the door before his avatar stepped on some nails that Roana dropped. Zach’s avatar dropped his sword and shield as he continued to make his way to the door. A person appeared in front of Zach’s avatar. They lifted up a knife. Zach’s avatar pulled out his knife and slit the Achilles tendon on the person. The person dropped their knife and fell backwards. Zach’s avatar continued to crawl towards the door. Zach’s avatar was almost able to stick his hand out of the door when the person grabbed Zach’s avatar’s foot. The person grabbed the knife and got on top of Zach’s avatar’s back. Zach’s avatar thrusted back and forth, but couldn’t get the person off of his avatar’s back. The Person thrust the knife into Zach’s avatar. 

“NO!” Zach cried as his switch shattered. 

A couple of days later, Shatter was in almost every electronic store. It was a very popular game and was sold out in many places. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.