Deja vu | Teen Ink

Deja vu

By TheNarratorman, Sanjacinto, California
TheNarratorman, Sanjacinto, California

"The question is, who do you wanna be?"
-The narrator man

Author's note:

I like the spirit of Halloween considering I was born a day before

Time… slowly, going by as you watch the clock and the time,  you try to rush it and make time go faster, foolish enough not to know that if you rush of what time you have you’ll see it ends quicker. Mountains, a stroke before midnight, raining, coming down pretty hard, driving, seems endless you are trying to get to the other side of the country to see your mother.  You start to get tired and seek shelter and a place to rest. You see a mansion that looks old on the top of the mountain you were near. You drove up the mountain to ask if you can rest for the night there it has taken you a little bit to get up the mountain, you try to drive slowly but you feel anxious to get up the mountain to get out of the rain and the car and see if you can get a bed to rest your head. Your eyes try to shut on you, you blink once, your eyes begin to feel heavy and you try your best to keep them open, You blink once more and your eyes are half open and they begin to feel heavier, You doze off at the steering wheel, then quickly wake up, and you start blinking again and you blink once more but as soon as you blink and open up your eyes you see someone in front of your car on the road you quickly slam your brakes. 

Your eyes are wide open hoping that you did not hurt the person on the road you; quickly realize no one’s in front of the car and you start to think Oh no!… did I-I just...run someone over?

You start to panic and quickly get out of the car and check the front. Expecting the very worst you see nothing there. Nothing on the ground, nor near your car or on the road. You start to have a moment of relievement and start thinking 

I'm starting to see stuff… I need to get to that mansion fast, it's not safe to drive like this. You get back into your car, the rain is not letting up, you check your phone for what time it is.  It’s 1:29 am, you sigh and start to begin driving up this mountain again.

Five minutes pass and you're pulling up to the gate of the mansion and see the gate buzzer; you ring the buzzer and hear a man say “Hello?” 

“Hi,  I was driving by and It's raining pretty bad out here. It’s late and I’m really tired and I’m looking for a place to sleep for the night Is it okay if I can stay for a night? If I can’t, that's fine.” The buzzer goes silent for a second, then the man replies in an uneasy tone.

“Do come in.” The gate soon opens up. You drive through the gate and drive up the driveway of the mansion.  The mansion looks old, vines on the outer walls of the mansion and it has stone gargoyles on the edges of the tall pointed ceilings, and solid stone walls that were made to make narrow towers on the side of the mansion. You notice that the house itself is pretty amazing, but as you are looking at the mansion, you see thunder strike off in the back of the background of the house. I feel weird about this place you say to yourself. And finally, at the mansion, you get to the front of the mansion and put your car into the park, quickly you get out to get all your things and get to the front of the stairs and start climbing them to the front of the door.

This front door is huge. You use the handle to the door to knock on the mansion, you start thinking It’s pretty ominous that there is just a mansion out here in the middle of nowhere. Before you could answer, the door opens up and there was a man in front of the door. He was old and wearing a black suit.

“Hello,” he said. “We have been expecting you. Your room is ready, but first, my mistress would like to have dinner with you. Please come in.” While you are entering the house, he takes your coat that has been dampened from the rain. Then you follow the man as he leads you to the dining hall. While you follow him, you look around and admire how big the mansion is and how beautiful it is inside. You ask the man how long has this mansion been here? The man responds by saying this mansion has been here for a Millenium. My mistress is the third generation of Woitvch family. 

“I am the second generation of servants that serve the Woitvch family. My mistress and I have been here for years together.”

You admire the big building and the many paintings on the wall next to paintings of flowers and families. As you make your way to the dining hall, the two are greeted by the lady of the house. The butler gave you a scared look as if he was worried and anxious to tell you something but he did not say a word

As you go through the doors, the butler left to the kitchen to bring the food out. You enter the dining hall and see a lady at the end of the table, she stood up and came to greet you.  The lady looked to be in her fifties, she was tall and skinny and wore a black dress that went down to the floor. She had black hair with very pale skin, almost a sheet white color. She greeted you with a hug.

“Welcome to my mansion, I hope my butler was kind to you?”

“Yes he was,” you reply

“That's delightful,” she claps her hands. “Butler, bring out the food, please. Our guest must be starving for a long drive.” She turns back to you. “Come, dear, let us dine together.” As the butler brings out the food, the pari begins to eat but stopped as they forgot to introduce themselves.

“Where are my manners, my name is Margaret Woitvch and I am the owner of this mansion.”  You shake her hand. “Thank you miss Margaret for letting me stay here with you tonight.”

“It is my pleasure to have you here with me tonight dear,” Miss Margaret replies. As you eat your food, you feel an uneasiness coming from the lady of the mansion.  She's only a sweet old lady, why would I feel this way. 

“Miss Margaret, are you the only person here besides your butler?” 

Miss Margaret says,  “Yes, I am the only person here. I live almost completely alone if it wasn't for my butler.” She chuckles a moment “haha then I would have been lonely all these years, yet he stuck with me all these years. My husband was here too but he has passed along while ago.” Her tone grew grim. “he died in my arms.” 

“I'm sorry to hear that, I bet he was a great man and dear to you too,” you say. Miss Margaret replies with a sad look on her face, “yes he was a dear man to me and he was the love of my life.  We would do all kinds of things together, go out to places and spend time together. Those were the best years of my life.” 

Curious, you ask her what keeps her staying here alone in this house with the butler? She continues to say this mansion is the place where she grew up and my great grandfather built this mansion himself. This place is well designed and my grandfather did an amazing job. She thanks you for the kind words.  The butler comes out of the kitchen and says” dessert is ready.”

The butler put plates in front of you and serves the food. Thirty-minutes pass and you are super stuffed with food. You had turkey with mashed potatoes and green beans and all kinds of things afterward.  You thank miss Margaret for the food. After dinner, the lady and butler escort you to the stairs.  

“My butler will show you to your room.”  As the butler stands next to her she says “I have something urgent to do, do have a good night dear and your free to do whatever. What time do you think you might leave?”

“I will leave at six-thirty or seven o’clock,” you say.

“That's fine dear, my butler can tend to your every need till then.” You thank her again and say goodnight as she walks up the stairs

You follow the butler up the stairs and down a hallway to your room. 

“What is your name if you don’t mind me asking?” 

“My name is Gilbert Tareapetd.”  

“Thank you mister gilbert for showing me where my room is.”

The butler says it was his pleasure. He shows you your room and says that if you need anything, just ring the bell next to the bed.  You change into a set of PJs and get in the covers. As you drift off into sleep, your mouth feels a little dry. You get up out of bed and make your way down to the kitchen to get a glass of water. As you near the kitchen, you hear a dim voice. Curiously, You start walking towards it. Getting closer, it starts getting louder. You then hear a voice that sounds very familiar to Miss Margret. Placing your ear to the door, you hear mummering and finally hear a voice in agony

“No...no... no, don’t hit me again, please. Agh! Agh!”

You slowly open the door and the sight before you make your heart stops. Directly in front of you,  you see miss Margaret whipping a man that was chained to the wall. Miss Margaret was laughing maniacally at her actions. Blood was everywhere and the man's body was covered in deep gashes from the whip.  You step back and fall down to the ground. Your foot accidentally kicks open the door fully. The sudden sound stops Miss Margaret for a moment as she turns her attention to you.  

Upon seeing her face and expression, you realize she had changed. He once soft eyes were now enraged and her neaty hair was messy and her dress was covered in blood. She drops her whip and quickly grabs a knife on the table next to her that she had previously used and bolted towards you. You scramble up to your feet and start running down the hall.  As she chases you rush to the main door and frantically try to open it to reach your car. Before you can open it, you feel a small, excruciating pain in your stomach. You place a hand on your side and see blood. 

“I got shot?” You plummet to the ground in pain. Blood drips from your side, but you know you cannot give up. Leaning against the door, you use your body weight and slam against it. The sudden force pushes the door open and you slowly make your way to your car, leaving a bloody trail behind you. However, before you can reach your car, you hear the tip tp sounds of heels approaching and suddenly you see Miss Margaret standing in front of you, still covered in blood. 

“Why are you doing this? How could you do those things,” you shouted in pain and in agony.  Miss Margaret was silent as she watched you, her breath grew heavier and her eyes seemed more enraged than ever before. 

In an eerie calm voice, she replies to your questions. “Leaving so soon? Well, let me give you a parting gift.” She points the gun at your head.

“Bye, dear.”

She pulls the trigger and a loud gunshot is heard for miles. Crows disburse in a flock then everything grew silent.

Suddenly, you wake up in your car, still parked off the road in the middle of nowhere still raining.

I must have fallen asleep you tell yourself. Getting resituated in the driver's seat, you turn on the ignition and start the car back up. As you continue driving, you think to yourself about what happened. Was that real or all a dream? 

You look at your phone and the time says 1:30 am. 

“I gotta sleep somewhere.” Just then, you see a lady in the middle of the road flagging you down. This girl looked to be twenty and she was soaked in rain. You park the car beside her and roll down your window. She asks you if she can get a ride to her house. She explains that her car broke down a few miles back and have been walking for the past few hours in the rain. 

“Hop in,” you say to her. Thankful, the girl opens the door and gets situated in the back seat.  

“What is your name?” you ask her

“I’m Violet Woitvch, my house is on a hill not too far from here.” Your eyes widen a little and the image of the woman enters your mind once more. You agree to take her home and the two of you drive off. On the way, She explains that she and her mother live there along with there butler named Margaret. This was all starting to fill your head with confusion. After a few minutes, you arrive at the mansion. Peaking your head out. You feel a chill run up your spine. The mansion in your dream and the mansion before you are the same. All the features were the same. What is going on you tell yourself?

As you open the door, Violent asks you if you would like to stay the night. Visions of his dream enter his mind once more and the gruesome sight inside. You shake your head and tell yourself that it is pure coincidence. You agree to the offer and you both approach the mansion   Violet knocks on the door and her mom opens the door. She looked to be in her fifties and wore a black dress all the way down to the ground. Her complexion was pale and her body was very skinny. No, you whisper. She first hugs her daughter and is happy to see she made it home safe. Violet then introduces you to her mother. Slowly extending your hand, the older woman grabs it and pulls you in for a hug. Then she whispers something in your ear that confirms your fears. 

“Welcome back, I see you could not keep away.”