The Eyes | Teen Ink

The Eyes

By zcsreaganstacey, Indianapolis, Indiana
zcsreaganstacey, Indianapolis, Indiana

Author's note:

I hope you all enjoy this piece it was a project and I am really proud of it.

I looked out the school window as rain fell from the sky. It was raining so hard that each drop hit the window like a bullet. 
“Earth to Amber!” the teacher stared at me. 
“What is the answer to number 19?” 
I stuttered. “Uhm. World uh War ttwo started in 1939? 
“Correct.” 

Mrs. Edmund kept talking when lighting came from the dark sky. There was a big flash and when I looked out the window, I saw a face staring straight at me. Then it was gone. I swallowed hard and tried to forget. I stared at my paper the face stalked my memory, the eyes stared into my soul. No one else saw it... 

The bus came to a screeching stop. I got off and started the walk to my house, it was only seven houses down, so it wasn’t that bad. I walked slowly and tried to enjoy the walk. But that seven houses that were so close together became miles apart when I heard something in the bushes. I turned and looked, and I saw those eyes staring at me. The malicious giggle gave me shutters. I sprinted off towards my house faster and faster every time I heard more footsteps behind me. I reached the front door and fumbled with my keys the person was not far behind. I finally got in the door and slammed it shut, locked it, and locked every door, window, and both garages. I went downstairs and sat in a corner waiting. I was shaking with fear and every creak the old house made almost gave me a heart attack. 

At last my mom came home from work, that thirty-minute wait lasted an eternity. 
“Amber? I’m home.” 
“Mom!” I got up from the corner and ran to her. I hugged her and held on tight. 
“Amber are you alright you look like you’ve seen a ghost?” 
“Yeah I am fine.” If I told my mom what had happened, she would have a whole SWAT team out here. 
“Alright well, you better start getting ready we have to leave for practice in ten minutes.” 
“I totally forgot about Soccer!” 

I ran upstairs and went to the laundry to find my uniform. I headed to my room, but the door was locked. 

“That's weird.” 

I grabbed the key and started to unlock the door when I heard something or someone in the room. I slowly opened the door and peered into the room and looked down to see my dog waiting patiently to be let out. A breath of relief swarmed over me. 

“Let go ladies, hustle, hustle!” my coach yelled as we ran around the field. 
“Ugh. I hate conditioning.” Elissa said running next to me. 
“I know right! We have been running for thirty minutes!” 
“Alright girls water break.” my coach went over to the water bottles and started handing them out. 

I glanced over to the bleachers where the parent sat and watched. I saw my mom but underneath the bleachers I saw them. The eyes staring at me, stalking me, waiting. I turned back around at gulped. 

“You okay?” Elissa looked at me with concern. 
“Yeah. I’m fine.” 

After practice, my mom took us to get ice cream. We got our ice cream and walked over to the cashier. We walked along the white counter and sitting right there was him. I looked away as my thoughts wandered through all possible reasons why he was here, at practice, home, and at school. My attention was brought back to my mom when she turned around. I somehow managed to put that out of my mind while we ate our ice cream. I have always been good at putting things out of my mind and coming back to it later. When my Grampa died, in school I could put it out of my mind and when I got home, I could pick it up again. 

We stood up from the table and got in the car. The old car creaked and pulled out of the faded parking spot and onto the familiar road. We backed into the drive and the car came to a screeching stop. I went up the stairs and into my bedroom and looked out the window. I don’t know what I expected to see but there he was. His tall stature peered over the fence. My heart stopped and my mind swirled with anxiety and fear. That night I laid in bed with fear under my covers. I heard the back door slide open, from my room I would be able to see the landing on the stairs and if anyone was coming up. My heart raced inside my chest every beat feeling as if my heart would explode. I thought to myself 

“I can't let this happen I am done playing these games.”  

I got up from the bed and grasped the end of the Louisville Slugger that was my dad's when he was younger. The stairs creaked with every step. My feet hit the floor and I scanned the room. Straight ahead the curtains swayed back and forth from the wind outside and the broken lock sat on the floor. Slowly I edged my way to the door but stopped when I felt a cold hand touch my shoulder. I turned and there it was. I swung but he caught my bat in his hand and laughed. The last thing I remember was my world turning black. And now I am here in this cold dark room with water dripping from the ceiling and the only sound is my pencil on my journal, writing this story to you. The old cot is dusty and old and the cold concrete walls don’t help. I have nothing to do so I sit in silence and wait, waiting for my revenge.