Wisconsin Mystery | Teen Ink

Wisconsin Mystery

A silent night in the little town of Stonefield turned to chaos. A single gunshot rang out through the town. The deafening police sirens erupted and bright lights glared into the night. The whole town stood in confusion about what had occurred. Most people awoke the next morning to what would be the biggest event that had happened in the town’s history. The beloved mayor had been murdered and they had no suspects. At the end of the day, everyone in the town of Stonefield was a suspect.

The results were in for the mayoral election. The incumbent mayor, John Phillips, was re-elected to be the governor for four additional years. He won by a landslide and was loved by the people of Stonefield. John made the town many promises of an amazing future for their town. He was set to make speeches all throughout the week.

Then came the night of Tuesday, April 19. The mayor was collecting his materials to go home for the night. His staff had left at 9 o’clock. He was the only one in the building, or so he thought. He heard light footsteps outside his door and wondered why someone would have returned. A man with a black facemask opened the door, cocked back his gun, and shot the mayor in the chest. The murderer proceeded to say, “Time’s up dirtbag.” He dropped his gun and fled the scene.

The only details that the police had were that the mayor was in his office when he was murdered with an M16 rifle. He was shot once in the upper chest. The shooting occurred at approximately 9:15 p.m. Tuesday night. The police had no leads to solve the crime. Most of the town was still in shock. Lead officer, Joey Viker, and scientist, Abdul Alojoweenie, were assigned to lead the case. They had no suspects but hoped to find some evidence at the crime scene. The mayor had been shot with an M16 rifle that had been left at the crime scene. They could take DNA but it would take months to come up with results. They also had the bullet that had pierced the mayor’s chest. It was a long, skinny 5.56mm bullet. There were also a couple of medium sized muddy shoe prints on the floor.

Scientist Alojoweenie was investigating the crime scene to see if he could find any additional evidence. He found some fingerprints on the mayor's desk and took a sample back to the lab for further examination. Now all they had to do was wait for the results to come back. The town was frightened that the murderer would come back. It was a very suspenseful week in the community. The news was all over of the state of Wisconsin before long. The killer was still on the loose, and it didn’t seem that he’d stayed in Stonefield for long.

In the morning, breaking news was reported of a murder the previous night in the neighboring town of Rockline. The man killed the county judge. He was shot at 12:30 p.m. and there were no witness to the murder.  Evidence was collected including fingerprints. No murder weapon had been found but they determined it was a heavy firearm similar to the weapon used to kill the mayor of Stonefield. The Rockline police compared the fingerprints from their crime scene to those that had been found at the scene of the murder in Stonefield, and it was determined that the fingerprints were identical. The same man had killed two people in just 5 days.

Oakville police were up bright and early as they investigated the murder of an alderman at City Hall in the center of their town. The fingerprints collected led to the same unidentified killer from Stonefield and Rockline. This time there was a witness at the scene of the crime. While walking his dog, a citizen of Oakville saw a tall, skinny man run out of City Hall after hearing a single gunshot blast. He told police that he saw a man throw a black facemask into a dumpster before taking off in a black van with the license number 7BJU785. The car was tracked to a little town in Wisconsin named Cedarburg. The investigators and public feared that the criminal had another target in mind. The man that the car was registered to climbed to the number one spot on the Most Wanted list.

Cedarburg police were on high alert looking for the suspect or anything suspicious. They had gotten word from neighboring towns that a killer was on the loose and they had tracked his car to Cedarburg. They discovered the car parked near the barn of an abandoned farm on the edge of Cedarburg and Jackson, right across from the brand new nuclear power plant. FBI forces were on their way to search the farm that appeared to be in poor repair.

The FBI arrived and began to surround the farmhouse and barn. The barn was slightly broken down but there was light emanating from inside. The FBI advanced, breaking down the door and scrambling inside the building. They apprehended a tall, scrawny man hiding in the corner with his hands up.  

The man's name was Kooper Kyro and he owned the farm where he was apprehended. The farm had been a thriving tourist destination for its petting zoo, produce/vegetables, and markets. When the local politicians promoted the building of the nuclear power plant, his farm and business were destroyed. He pled guilty to the murders of the mayor, the judge, and the alderman. He was sentenced to life in the slammer. Finally, the people in the cities where the crimes occurred could go back to living normally, without fear that they would be the next victim. The man was on the loose for 16 days and made the entire state of Wisconsin uneasy.