Sophia Cunningham | Teen Ink

Sophia Cunningham

May 1, 2019
By lucyhudson10, New Canaan, Connecticut
More by this author
lucyhudson10, New Canaan, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

Lucy H is a true east coaster. She was born in New York City and was raised an hour away in New Canaan, Connecticut. She enjoys writing about fast-paced mysteries that take countless twists and turns. Lucy is most heavily influenced by 1960’s writer Flannery O’Connor. Lucy affectionately looks up to O’Connor’s writing, specifically her dramatic, murderous short story, A Good Man Is Hard to Find. Lucy will be moving back to New York in the fall as she continues to study writing and English at Colgate University.

Sophia Cunningham. That was the name of my best friend. She had short brown hair that bounced up and down when she ran and a love for adventure that could not be matched by any other kid in Mrs. Parson’s fourth-grade class. Sophia lived in the house with the big red door on Ridgewood Road, which was precisely a three-minute walk from my house (not including the shortcut through Mr. Burns’ rose bush garden). Sophia and I did everything together. On Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays we would take the bus back to her house, where we often rode our bikes outside or helped her brother, Jason, wash dishes at 101, the local deli and ice cream shop. Sophia’s mom said that we weren’t allowed to play at Sophia’s house on Thursdays and Fridays. She said that Mr. Cunningham had a lot of work to do and didn’t need two kids running around under his feet. So, on Thursdays and Fridays, we would take the school bus back to my house, where we played outside in the tree house that my dad and brother had built for us. When the sun sunk behind the tall sugar maples in my backyard and the tree house soon became dark and cold, we both knew that Sophia’s mom would be expecting her home soon.

Summer rolled around, and Sophia and I only spent more time together. I remember one day in July specifically. It was hot and humid, a heat advisory was issued, which was rare for Rhode Island. Sophia and I had spent the day at the beach, our pink towels sprawled across the sand, two brown paper bags left over from our favorite lunch of turkey and cheese sandwiches. We made our way to 101 to help Jason wash the dishes. As we walked down Main Street, Sophia began to seem apprehensive.

“I have to tell you something…” She said.

“All right what is it?” I said as I dragged the pink towel along the sidewalk.

“We are moving to Memphis before school starts. It’s for my dad’s job. They are relocating him.”

“Memphis?” I remarked.

We had learned about Memphis in geography this year with Ms. Parson. It was in Tennessee.

“We are leaving tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow? What? Why so soon?”

“I don’t know my parents only told me today. They sat me and Jason down this morning and told us we had to have our suitcases packed by tonight because we are leaving when it gets dark out. They seemed really scared. Probably just because they don’t want to leave too. I’m so sorry Sophia.”

My heart sank into my chest as my world spun upside down. I suddenly thought about next year and what it would be like not having my best friend attached to my hip. Who would I play in the treehouse with? Who would I go to 101 with? Who would I sit with on the bus? Fifth grade was going to be a big year. I didn’t know how I was going to survive it without Sophia.

School started on September 6th and I soon began to become accustomed to not seeing Sophia every day, but I never forgot about her. My family made plans to visit the Cunningham’s in Illinois one weekend in early September. I couldn’t contain my excitement. In addition to an apartment in Memphis, the Cunningham family had bought a house on the Mississippi. Since my family and her family would not fit comfortably in the small city apartment, we planned to spend the weekend on the river. Sophia and I had been planning all the different activities and adventures we would go on for months. We were determined to make the most of the weekend.

When the end of September rolled around, my family and I packed our bags and headed to Illinois. After around two hours up in the air, we finally landed. I hastily squeezed my way up to the front of the plane to make sure I was the first one off.

“Someone’s eager!” said the flight attendant with the blonde hair slicked back into a tight bun and ruby red lipstick.

“Yeah! My best friend’s waiting for me!”

When I finally got off the plane and reunited with Sophia, we fell right back into our old habits.

The first day on the river, Sophia and I made an ambitious list of all the things we wanted to do together. We woke up early to watch the sunrise on the Mississippi from the wooden balcony outside Sophia’s room. As the sun rose behind the trees, my mind went back to the tall sugar maples in my backyard and the tree house Sophia and I would play in until the sun set. The smell of bacon and pancakes led us downstairs.

After breakfast, the sun was already high in the sky and shining brightly. Although it was late September, it was still in the mid-70s. Sophia and I made our way out back to the wooden dock. The dock was already stained with wet footprints from our brothers, who beckoned for us to come in the water. I grabbed a red and yellow floaty tube and jumped into the river. As the cold water consumed me I breathed in a sharp breath of air. Sophia and Jason introduced a game to my brother and I called “Straws”. One person would throw a clear straw into the water while everyone else closed their eyes. Once the straw was in the water, everyone would turn around and try to find the thin, clear tube of plastic disguised by the river. The first person to see it would yell “straw!” and jump in to grab it. We jumped in and out of the water, paddled around in tubes and swam about for hours. When our fingers became wrinkled raisins, we headed inside.

Sophia and I each made turkey and cheese sandwiches, which we ate in lawn chairs that were bigger than ourselves. Our feet dangled off the chairs, our toes just touching the grass. As we scarfed down our sandwiches in our bikinis, wet with the water from the Mississippi, I had never felt happier.

At the end of the day, when the sun reflected an array of different oranges and pinks on the Mississippi, I looked over at Sophia to my left and felt at peace knowing deep down that our friendship was not conditional. In a way, I was almost glad she moved to Illinois. This way we could go on adventures and try new things together not only in Rhode Island but also in Illinois. Maybe this Illinois thing wasn’t so bad after all.

After dinner, stomachs stuffed with burgers, hotdogs, potato salad and coleslaw, Sophia and I decided to set up a tent on the dock to sleep under the stars for our last night together. However, I heard Mr. and Mrs. Cunningham arguing about whether or not it was safe for us to sleep outside.

“Charlotte I don’t think you are thinking clearly. They can’t sleep outside. It’s not safe,” Sophia’s Dad said to her Mom.

“Honey, then what was the point of us moving. We got away from them. You don’t have to worry anymore, they can’t threaten us here. We need to let Sophia live a little. Come on they never see each other. It’s just one night, what’s the worst that could happen?” Mrs. Cunningham questioned.

That was when Sophia and I barged into the kitchen to clear our plates and the conversation between the two parents ceased. Sophia’s parents smiled down at us and Mrs. Cunningham told us to go set up camp on the dock. I didn’t think much of their conversation after that.

Sophia and I ran outside to the shed to grab flashlights and a tent. The night air was eerie – thick with fog and it unusually dark for 9:00 pm. The shed door was red but most of the paint had been chipped off. The windows were pitch black and I started to think I saw someone watching us through the glass, but immediately reassured myself it was just my reflection. I stepped back and let Sophia open the shed door, but only because she knew where the flashlights and tent were. Sophia unhinged the shed door and began to open it. That’s when I heard a splintering scream. I felt my heart thumping, like a bass drum in my chest. I soon realized it wasn’t a scream I heard, just the shed door creaking open.

Sophia gave me a questioning look and stepped into the shed in search of the flashlights and tent. She came out with two large yellow flashlights, a few large stake poles, and a tent. While Sophia hulled our camping essentials to the dock, I grabbed the pillows blankets sleeping bags, our favorite stuffed animals, magazines, and some candy. Once our campsite was set up on the dock, we said goodnight to our parents and brothers who would be sleeping in the house for the night and then made our way back outside to the dock.

As we walked to the tent I restlessly scanned left and right, aware of the smallest of sounds. I didn’t know what I expected to hear or see, but I felt on edge in a way that I had never felt in the treehouse, at 101 Deli and Ice Cream Shop, or even when cutting through Mr. Burn’s rose bush garden. I apprehensively unzipped the tent and crawled inside my royal blue sleeping bag. The sanctuary of the well-lit, warm tent and Sophia’s presence made me feel safer. We snuggled down under mountains of blankets and pillows and talked about anything and everything, as we ate from a giant family size bag of Skittles. Skittles were our favorite candy. I liked the green and purple ones and Sophia liked the red, yellow and orange. We munched on the colorful candies, gossiped, and laughed until our voices grew horse and our tongues were stained different colors from all the Skittles we had eaten. Finally, we decided to turn off our flashlights and go to bed; I had to be up early for our flight back home the next morning anyway. I set an alarm on my cracked iPhone 4 for 4:30 am and slowly drifted to sleep with the gentle sway of the Mississippi river underneath the dock.

My eyes fluttered open to the sound of artificial birds chirping in my ear. I rolled over and pressed snooze on my alarm. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and slowly sat up. It was still dark outside and the blackness consumed our small tent. I could hear the bullfrogs from the river’s edge and the crickets that continued to chirp. I looked to my left and saw Sophia’s pink sleeping bag empty. That was strange. Maybe she already went inside knowing I had to be up early. I threw on one of my favorite sweatshirts, it was my Dad’s from college, grey, oversized, with the University of Virginia printed in big bold letters across the chest. Slipping on my fuzzy chestnut slippers, I unzipped the tent and stepped out into the early morning air. It was cold without the Mississippi sun or the insulation of my royal blue sleeping bag to keep me warm. I started to make my way from the dock to the front of the house in search of Sophia.

As I made my way through the moist, dewy grass, I noticed a green Subaru in the driveway. That wasn’t our rental car and it definitely wasn’t the Cunningham’s car. As I got closer, I was able to make out the license plate through the darkness. The rusted plates read AG7832 with Alabama written on the top. I suddenly heard a loud banging on the backseat window. My heart stopped and my pulse raced just like it had done last night outside the shed. I nervously peered into the backseat window. To my horror, I was face to face with Sophia.

“RUN!” she yelled.

Her voice was muffled but the early Mississippi air was quiet.

“Sophia! What happened? Who did this? Whose car is this?”

My hands were cold and shaking as I frantically tugged on the car door to free my friend.

“That’s not important! You need to go now! They went inside. This is your chance to run. Go!!!”

Before I had the chance to move, I heard a shattering scream. This time I knew it wasn’t just the shed door creaking open, but a real scream and it came from somewhere inside the house. I looked up at the riverfront house that once housed my family and the Cunningham’s at one big table. The haze of familial comfort was only partially present. I looked back at Sophia. Her short brown hair that had once bounced up and down as she ran from my house to her house, with the big red door on Ridgewood Road, was now frizzed and scraggly. Her face was pale, eyes glossy with tears, but she wasn’t looking at me anymore. She stared, eyes fixated on the house, her mouth gaping open. I turned around to see two men running down the Cunningham’s front doorstep. One was wearing a red and green flannel shirt and a baseball cap hiding his blonde hair. The other man, the taller one of the two, was wearing khaki pants and a black oversized sweatshirt. I wanted to close my eyes, click my heels, like Dorothy had done in the movie The Wizard of Oz, and be back home in Rhode Island with Sophia inside the safety of my treehouse. I swerved my head back to Sophia. Terror consumed her, and also me. She mouthed “run” and this time I didn’t hesitate. I ran and I ran fast.

By the time I reached town I felt like I had been running for days. Tiny baby hairs clung to my forehead from the small beads of sweat forming along my hairline. My fuzzy chestnut snippers had flung off at some point during my desperate escape of tearing through the woods. I probably looked crazy standing there; hair disheveled, no shoes, and dirtied sweatshirt. Just then a car pulled over and a lady with kind eyes asked if I was alright. That’s when I broke down. I began to cry; not just because I was terrified, but I was also consumed with guilt. I knew I shouldn’t have left Sophia. I should have fought to free her and not run away like a coward.

“Honey, honey you need to breath. What’s your name? Where are your parents? I’m going to call 911 sweetie okay? It’s going to be alright.”

The lady’s soft nurturing tone of voice only made me long for my own parents more.

Soon enough bright blue and red lights came blaring in my direction and I was popped into the back seat of Captain John Shapiro’s Ford F150.

The police station was a blur of bright lights, reporters, many questions, and countless tears. All I could think about what how scared Sophia was and how guilty I felt for leaving her. I was officially the worst friend in the world.

Fifteen years have passed. Three years ago, I graduated from the University of Virginia, following in my father’s footsteps. I still have his grey oversized sweatshirt with “University of Virginia” printed across the chest. The same sweatshirt I wore on the night I tore through the woods in Mississippi, trying to find help to save Sophia and to get away from that green Subaru with the Alabama license plate. The same sweatshirt I gave my statement to the police in. The same sweatshirt, I wore with tear-stained sleeves, as I hugged Sophia’s parents and mine under the cool, LED lighting of the police station. The same sweatshirt I wore as Captain John Shapiro patted me on the back and said, “Don’t worry kid, we’ll find her.” But after 15 years of hoping, wishing, and praying, I have finally lost hope. I lost hope in Shapiro, the Mississippi police, FBI, and everyone else who told me “we’ll find her”.  Sophia Cunningham. Those two words and 16 letters still haunt the missing person list. Her name so permanently present on that list, but Sophia herself inexplicably gone. It was official, my best friend was a mystery that no one could solve.

The Cuningham’s still haven't sold their house in Rhode Island. They keep hoping that their daughter would one day return home and know exactly where to find them, inside that house with the cherry red door on Ridgewood Road.

Ms. Cunningham asked me to come over to help box away some of Sophia’s things. I wanted to say no; everytime I think of Sophia I'm pained with an immense feeling of guilt for leaving her in that car all alone. But I couldn’t let Ms. Cunningham do it alone so I accepted.

Tearfully and remorsefully, Ms. Cunningham and I spent hours packing away Sophia’s things. The last thing that was left was her bike. Looking down at Sophia’s bike, shiny silver and pink with purple streamers, I questioned how her or I ever fit on a bike of that size. My mind went back to the days when Sophia and I would bike around the neighborhood loop after school. In these days, the worst thing someone could do was say “shut up” and the worst thing that could ever happen was being put in a “time out”. In these days, I never thought someone could kidnap a child, let alone Sophia, my best friend.

I’m no longer the girl riding the miniature bike with pink streamers flowing out of the handle bars, or the girl who plays pretend with her best friend, protected behind the walls of a tree house. I’ve seen more than my backyard and Ridgewood Road, or even Rhode Island and now I know. Now I know that the world is a much harsher place than the world we play pretend in as shelterred, innocent children. I know things now; the good, the bad, and the ugly.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.