Secret Sisters | Teen Ink

Secret Sisters

By BreanaR, Council Bluffs, Iowa
BreanaR, Council Bluffs, Iowa

Rain Poured from the clouds hitting the ground with little thuds. Olivia stared through the window as she saw a man in the distance walking down the street. He was wearing a dark blue raincoat with bright yellow rubber rain boots. Wearing a satchel, heavily stuffed, around his body he walked up the front steps of White Orchid Orphanage. The man then puts mail through the mail slot and walked away. Olivia had been waiting for this all day. She ran to the door so she would be the first to grab the mail.

Once she got the stack she began to file through them. Right in the middle of the stack was the letter for her. Olivia set the rest of the mail on the ground and walked to her room with the letter. Olivia was always careful to make sure nobody saw her with the letter.  In America, the law stated that something like this would be held for her to open once she turned 18. Olivia couldn’t live knowing these letter would just sit around waiting for years on end, as her opportunities expired. The letters always came in the same off white envelope sealed with sticker embroidered with a fancy cursive D.

The last letter Olivia received was 6 weeks ago. The letters had never come on a set schedule, however lately they had been coming more frequently. She used to receive them only every few months, but now she gets a letter at least once every 2 months. Olivia walks into her room which she shares with 3 other girls around her age, Sam, Janey, Meri. Sam was sitting on her bed reading a book when Olivia walked in. Sam pushed her long red hair aside to see who was walking in.
“ Hey, Olivia what you up to today?”
“ Just chilling out. What are you doing?”
“ Reading this book for my English class tomorrow. We were assigned it on Thursday and is due Monday.”
“Like tomorrow Monday?”
“Yes. It’s 300 pages and I just started an hour ago. I’m only on page 50.”
“Wow! Looks like you've got your work cut out for you.”
“I probably won’t have it done by then.”
“I better leave you alone then. I just came in here to pick up my area a little bit.”
Olivia left Sam alone to finish her book while she hid in her new letter in her bag for school. She then left with a curiosity of what information this letter headbanging around in the back of her head like a rabid kangaroo in a cage. The letters always took priority in her mind until she was able to read them. Olivia always had to wait until she got to school, then she had to wait until she found the free time to read it. The idea of waiting to read something so important killed her.
Olivia then began to leave the shared room when she ran into Meir. Meir was 5’11 and had long brown hair. Everybody admired Meir, except nobody talked to her. Which was good for them. Meir was the meanest person you’d ever meet. She was like a vicious tiger that hadn’t eaten for three weeks waiting to pounce anyone or, anything in sight. Olivia’s eye grew to the size of grapefruit as she realized she was going to have to deal with the wrath of Meir.
“Watch it!”
“I’m so sorry Meir I didn’t mean to bump into you!”
“You didn’t mean to bump into me? Last time I checked you had eyes and could see. So unless you want to be sleeping in the closet tonight, you’ll grow a few brain cells, become self-aware and, not run into me anymore!”
“Um… Okay?”
“And, while you are doing that you can stop talking to me.”
Olivia held her head down and started to walk away. Just when she thought she was off the hook she realized Janey was down the hall. Janey wasn’t nearly as mean as Meir. However, Janey was sticky, gross and annoying. Olivia always tried to be nice to Janey but Janey made it so hard. She was a year older than Olivia, Sam and, Meir, however, she acted like a five-year-old. Her area was always a mess. She never washed her clothes. But the worst part was the stench she carried. She smelled like an onion farm mixed with carbon dioxide. If Janey’s stench wasn’t bad enough her attitude was horrible. She wasn’t mean, however she was annoying. Janey is just so vexatious. Olivia plugged her nose to prepare for her walk by Janey. Olivia held hope in her heart that Janey wouldn’t want to talk. If Janey didn’t sound bad enough she hadn’t brushed her teeth in the past 5 years. Olivia walked by Janey without her even stopping to talk. Whoever was watching over Olivia knew she had already gone through enough today.
Olivia disliked the weekend's almost as much as she disliked being an orphan, or sharing a room with circus freaks. Most people like the weekends when they get to relax and enjoy a few days away from work or school. However being an orphan means that there are no weekend trips to your uncle's house, no friends staying the night, Nothing. The weekend is just a big bag of boring. The thing Olivia disliked the most about the weekends is not being able to see Jason. Jason had one of Olivia only friends. Not only was he one of the only he was her best friend since 5th grade. Jason also knew Olivia big secret. He knew about the letters. She always let him read them when they came. He always helped her to understand what they might mean. Most of the time the letters were straight forward. But sometimes it seemed as if there was some message hidden inside the letters. Olivia was thrilled when it was time for lights out. However, she found it hard to sleep with all these thoughts running through her head. Could this letter have something more important to others? Does this person want her to meet up with them?

By the time Olivia fell asleep at night, it was way past 3 in the morning. When she woke up she was extremely deprived of sleep. However, it was Monday which means she was able to go to school. In the first period, Olivia had math. Math was a horrendous subject for Olivia, she could never understand what was going on. Despite that Olivia always looked forward to it because she sat next to Jason and they could deliberate over everything. When Olivia arrived at her math class Jason was already there. Olivia rushed over to her seat and sat down.

“Anything happens to you this weekend?” Olivia said to Jason

“Not much, we were planning on going on a camping trip but it was raining pretty bad so we postponed to next weekend. My little brother, Matt was sick anyway so it wouldn’t have been a good trip.”

“Sounds like a bummer. Too bad though, camping always looked so fun. I’ve always wanted to go. Maybe someday.”

“I would invite you sometime but, Mrs. Omastar would never allow you to go.”

“I know she wouldn’t. If only there were most families willing to foster around here. Then there wouldn't have to be so many people stuck in an orphanage having to deal with the other Mrs. Omastar.” Says Olivia

“Did anything exciting happen to you this weekend?” Jason asked

“ Not much was going on. I didn’t have any homework to do so I spent most of the time waiting for the mailman to come.”

“Did anything come in the mail for you?” Jason whispered

“Yep, I got a letter!” Olivia said as low as possible holding in her excitement

“Have you read it yet? What does it say?”

“No, I wasn’t able to read it yet.”

“Do you have any ideas of what it might say?”

“I have no clue if I was to guess it probably the usual. I’m doing this, I’m so sorry I left you. I feel like all the letter lately is all almost the same.” Olivia sighed

“They probably don’t even know if you're getting them. You’ve never replied they probably think that nobody is receiving them so there's no need to write them anymore.”

“I don’t even know what I would write back. I never even thought about that. What if they read it and…”

“You are so negative. If they didn’t care about you they wouldn’t write letters to you.” Jason said cutting Olivia off

“If they cared about me so much they wouldn't have abandoned me at a church!” Olivia said in a slightly raised voice

“Calm down Olivia. I’m just saying that they might want to know someone is receiving these letters. Even if it is just hi, My names Olivia and I been getting your letters. At least they’ll know someone is getting them.”

“ I know I’ve been wanting to, meaning to send them a letter but every time I think about it my mind just goes blank. I don’t know what to say. How do I start a letter to the person I’m the most curious about but also despite the most?”

“I….”

The bell rings abruptly ending their conversation that had driven a wedge of tension between the two friends. Olivia sat quietly after that. She felt bad for overreacting on Jason, she knew he was just trying to help her out. Jason would never be able to understand the struggles she goes through not having a family and always feeling abandoned. He never would, his family was so supportive and he never seemed to notice or be thankful for it. He also could never understand how much the letters emotionally affected her. He never saw them as she did. He thought of them like a fun game or puzzle for him to solve. Olivia couldn’t blame him for not understanding, but she couldn’t help but hold animosity towards him for it.

Oliva spent the rest of the class thinking about the letter she had sitting in her bag. Two more classes pasted as she waited for the perfect time to crack the seal on the letter. She finally had the opportunity when she arrived at her English class. She realized that Mrs. Blank was gone, which mean her class had a substitute teacher. The substitute teacher spent the whole class period on his phone. When Oliva realized he was playing Pokemon Go she knew it was the perfect time to read the letter.

7/19/14

Dear Olivia,

I haven’t written to you in a while. A month and 3 days to be exact. However, my life has been very eventful lately. I just haven’t gotten the time to be able to sit down and write you a thoughtful letter. To be honest, in recent months none of my letters had been as thoughtful as I would like them to be. This is due to me moving. I move from my apartment into a house which was a big thing for me. Being a homeowner hasn’t been all it seemed to have been before. I finally had the cash to be able to buy a home only to get it and before I could get homeowners insurance to have it flood. The carpets were ruined. Luckily I have enough money on hand to be able to fix it. However, I was planning on using that money to have another room built on the house. I probably shouldn’t be telling you this so soon but I’m planning on having you move. Of course, it will be after you're 18 so that I don’t have to go through an adoption process. It would be years until I could do it anyways.

Another thing about moving that has been a huge stressor for me is how far I moved. 3 states from my last residents. It was a huge change but I think I am adjusting nicely. I have made friends with my neighbors. Everyone always asks me if I have kids. I always want to say yes I want everyone to know about you. However, that would involve a lot of explaining and they would probably think I am I a bad person for giving my child up.

If I ever get to meet you I would like to explain exactly why I gave you up. I think it would give you a lot of insight and make you think more of me. I would love to tell you now (over letters) but I think this is something I would prefer to tell you in person. I also don’t even know if you are receiving these letters, as you have never written back to any of them. I don’t expect anything from you. However, it would be nice to get a letter back if you ever feel up to it. If you don’t, it okay I would say I understand but I don’t and never will.

Sincerely,

Your Father

Olivia was filled with disappointment as she read the letter. It contained none of the information she wanted to know. At least they could give her their name so she could google them. The only information it held was pointless. Olivia wasn’t the smartest person alive, but she wasn't stupid enough to move in with this man when she turned 18. She had no clue who this person is. Olivia even wonders if this person was her father and not another girl at White Orchid, or someone from school playing a prank they thought might be funny.  Most of the time after reading letters Oliva felt more connected to this person. However, this letter was different. It made her feel even more distant from the person who was supposed to be her parent.

Olivia spent the rest of her school day feeling isolated and angry about how mediocre the letter she received was. Olivia had been feeling a lot more alone lately. Usually, Jason would make her feel not so lonely but that wasn’t working lately. The letters however always made Olivia feel like someone cared the slightest bit. But, the effort that had gone into the last few made her feel all alone.

When the school bell finally rang, Olivia couldn’t have taken another minute being stuck at the school. She didn’t really like it at White Orchid, but today anything would have been better than staying at school longer. It was only Monday and Olivia had already given up. As she walked “home”, it was starting to rain a few sprinkles so she took the fastest way she knew instead of taking the much longer way she usually preferred. When she approached the White Orchid Orphanage there was a strange vehicle sitting outside. It was a dark blue car that had never been there before. Nobody ever visited the orphanage, ever.

Olivia walked up the stairs leading into the building, then open the door to see mail laying on the ground as she picked it up and search through it she found no letters for herself. She was feeling extra ambitious today so she began her search for Mrs. Omastar to give her the mail. After walking around the whole building she finally found Mrs. Omastar talking to strange new women who appeared to be about 30 years old with medium length dark brown hair. She was wearing a pair of dark denim jeans with a bright yellow blouse on. She almost looked like a bright yellow flower in spring surrounded by the dark angry rain known as White Orchid Orphanage. Mrs. Omastar looked like she was in deep conversation with the new mysterious lady, so Olivia decided to just leave the mail in her office.

While White Orchid Orphanage never had visitors, but the rare few times they had they left after 45 minutes to an hour. However, the lady has been there for 3 hours already. Olivia was able to do all her homework and clean up her entire space of the room and the women were still there. It was almost dinner time so Olivia walked down to the kitchen to set the tables. However for some reason that day the tables were in one big line to make one huge table. Olivia was confused but went about her business setting the table as usual. All the girls then sat down at the table to eat when Mrs. Omastar and the mystery lady sat down at the table.

“Alright everybody, as you have all noticed I have been occupied all afternoon with this nice lady. She would like to have dinner with us and get to know you guys. This being said I would like you all on your best behavior and treat her very kindly.” , Mrs. Omastar said then nudged the lady, “If you would like to introduce yourself you can now.”

“Hello you guy, I’m Savannah, it so nice to be able to see you all today. I hope I get the chance to talk to all of you sometime tonight.”

Olivia walked over to Sam so that they could next to one another. Olivia and Sam didn’t have much in common but have grown close over the years being the only two normal people in their shared room. They always sat next to each other and talked about random things. However today their conversation was strictly on the new lady.

“Do you think she is going to adopt somebody?” said Sam

“No, I think she is totally going to take Mrs. Omastar spot. Mrs. Omastar is getting older and probably wants to retire soon. Unless she plans on working her whole life. With our luck, she probably will.” Olivia replies

“That would be so awesome if she took Mrs. Omastar place. I thought that old bat would never get out of our hairs. That lady is so young she’ll probably be way more relaxed. She might even not have a light out time!” Sam says growing excited

“Just because she is young does not mean she is crazy. Only a lunatic wouldn’t have a light out time.”

“Whatever, I can still dream. At Least until she gets here.” Sam says while rolling her eyes.

“We don’t even know why she here, yet. So don’t get your hopes too high.” Olivia says

Just as their conversation Savannah walked over.

“ Hey, Guys, what are your names?” Savannah says

“I’m Olivia and that's Sam.”

“So what are you guys up to?”

“Not much just having dinner. What are you doing?” Olivia asks

“ I was just going around talking to everyone a bit. You guys are the last girls I have to speak with.”

“Not to be rude but can you tell us why you are here?”

“Actually I’m looking into adoptions and wanted to go around to a few different orphanages to see if it is for me and who I might want to adopt.”

“That is so cool, what do you think of Adoption so far?”

“It takes a long time and cost a lot of money. However, I really like the idea of it and coming here has just confirmed adoption is for me.”

“You are not going to adopt a baby?”

“Nope.”

“Why not?”

“I just don’t think having a baby is for me they scream and are so loud all the time. I would rather just get an older child.”

“Most people don’t do that, that's interesting.”

“Well I better get going, I can’t be here all night,” says Savannah while walking away

“Wow Olivia, thanks for letting me get a word in,” Sam said annoyed

“Sorry, I was really interested in what was going on and I just couldn’t stop.”

“You are not really a talker, I was surprised.”

“I know, she was just so nice. I was having a really bad day and it felt nice to just talk to someone.”

“I know how you feel it’s not a big deal,” Sam said

6 Months later

Olivia laid resting in her bed after a day full of work. It was only four o’clock but Olivia was beat. In the summers when most kids are out of school swimming all day, Olivia’s orphanage did volunteer work to get them all out of the house during the day. Olivia this summer was working at the animal shelter cleaning up dog poop. She didn’t even get to see the dogs, all she got was their poop. It was a horrible job to have to do. While resting Olivia heard Mrs. Omastar yelling.

“Olivia come to my office now!”

“Yes Mrs. Omastar, be there in a minute,” Olivia said

Confused Olivia began walking towards Mrs. Omastar office. As she walked down the long hallways she went through her head everything that was going to see why she might be called down. She couldn’t think of anything that could cause her to be in trouble. When she finally reached Mrs. Omastar office she walked in to see Mrs. Omastar sitting at her desk.

“Hey, Mrs. Omastar why did you call me down here?”

“I wanted to have a quick chat. Can you sit down please?”

“Sure.” Olivia walked over and sat down in one of two chairs empty in her office

“Remember the lady that visit a few months back, Savannah?”

“Yes, I remember her.”

“She has been in the process of trying to adopt for 2 years now. When she was visiting us she was looking for someone who she might want to adopt. Over the last few months, she was going through the final steps to be approved. She was just approved and she has decided she wants to adopt you.”

“What? How can that be? When she visited we only spoke for not even ten minutes!”

“She really liked your personality and after reviewing your file she thought you guys would be a good match. If this goes through it would be the first adoption out of White Orchid Orphanage of a child over the age of three in the last 15 years. Since you are old enough to make most of your own decisions, before I let this go any further I would like to know if you are okay with this.”

“Well, Mrs. Omastar I would love to be adopted. That would be awesome.”

“ As long as you are sure this is what you want.”

“I am”

“It isn’t going to happen overnight. It will probably take about another two months before it will be finalized and, you will be able to leave but that's better than never.”

Olivia left Mrs. Omastar office with a new sense of hope. She walked back into her room where all three of the other girls were staring at her.

“So Olivia, did you get it from Mrs. Omastar?” Meir said with a smirk

“Come on Meir, why do you have to be such a narcissist! What Mrs. Omastar said to Olivia is her business and if she wants to share she can if not she shouldn’t have to.” Sam says

“ Wow, you guys got all worked up while I was gone. No, Meir as much as you would like to think I did, I did not get in trouble from Mrs. Omastar. However, I did get some exciting news. I don’t feel like sharing that news with everyone right now. But when the time is right I will share everything. I just want to make sure everything is official first.”

“I hope your getting emancipated so you will move out. Then Janey will be able to move farther away from me and I won’t have to smell her as much. Well and I also won’t have to look at or deal with you” Says Meir

“Meir you such a….” Sam begins to say

“Woah, you all need to chill out. I’m not getting emancipated. I’m also not going to let you guys ruin this good news for me. Meir if you want to pick stupid fights you can go down the hall with the five-year-old because you are sure acting like one.”

“You know what Olivia, nobody here even likes you. I don’t know why you think we care what even happen anyways.”

“You don’t care. That statement is contradicting your waiting for me to come back.”

“Whatever” Meir walks away disappointed and angry

“Do you think she is going to try and sleep in here tonight,” Sam says

“I don’t know where else she would sleep but if she can find an alternative option she will probably take it,” Olivia replies

“If only she could get over that huge ego of hers. She a pretty girl, she just has a horrible attitude.”

“You don’t have to tell me. Every time I am around her I feel like I am walking on eggshells to make sure she doesn’t attack me for no reason.”

“OMG! Your breathing too loud and it is distracting me from staring at the floor how dare you to attack me like this. Your just an evil brat that nobody cares about.” Says Sam mocking Meir

Olivia and Sam spent the rest of the night talking and gossiping over everything going on. Olivia feels conflicted over whether she should share her good news yet. She knows she can trust Sam she just does not want to raise her hopes too high when there's a chance that it might now even happen. In the end, Olivia decides it would be better to wait a few weeks to tell any of the girls at White Orchid Orphanage.

Later on, that night after everyone else has fallen asleep Olivia goes to get a glass of water. She walks near the front door, to see that whoever picked up the mail left it on the table. She walks over and starts filing through the thick stack of bills, legal papers, and letters, to find nothing addressed to her. Right as Olivia is about to walk away she hears the mail slot open as a letter is dropped on the floor. She runs over to the letter to see it is addressed to her. Olivia then sprints to the window to see a shadowy figure running away. She opens the door to chase them. However, by the time she gets down the stairs, the dark figure had disappeared into the dark night sky. Confused and out of breath Olivia makes her way up the stairs and sneaks back into her room. She throws the letter in her bag, knowing if she turns a light on every will wake up. Olivia filled with adrenaline couldn’t fall asleep at first. After an hour or so she was able to fall into a deep sleep.

When Olivia woke up the next morning, she reflected on what had happened the night before. That's when she realized that Meir hadn’t slept in the room the night before. She ran around looking for where Meir could have been. She searched all around the house. Until she found Meir laying on the couch by the entrance of the building. Just then it hit Olivia that Meir could have seen everything that happened last night. There was no way she did not. Olivia was so loud when she ran out the door, Meir would have had to hear her. But why would have Meir not asked her about it then? Just as Olivia was about to walk away Meir woke up.

“What are you looking at?” Meir says

“The.. weather outside, I think it supposed to rain today but it’s not. That's good because cleaning up dog poop is worse when you have to do it in the rain.”

“Sure. And just so you know I saw you last night.”

“What?”

“When you came downstairs and left through that door and came back in. You were chasing after some man. He left you a letter too!” Meir says while pointing at the door.

“The only thing I did last night was come down here and get a drink of water. You must be having some very vivid dreams.”

“Olivia you can’t lie to me. I know what happens I saw it with my own eyes.”

“You don’t know anything nothing happened. Can’t you just drop it.” Olivia said while rolling her eyes

“I will drop it when you tell me the truth.”

“I already told you.”

“Whatever,” Meir says, as she begins to walk away rolling her eyes.

Olivia walks away trying to keep a hold of herself. While knowing that Meir knows her big secret. She walks upstairs back into her shared room to see Sam laying down reading and Janey in a deep sleep.

“Oh my god! Sam, you will never believe what Meir just said to me!”

“What did she say? She is so jealous and vengeful.”

“I know right. She just accused me of getting a letter from some random man and then chasing him outside and then coming back in, last night.”

“She really said that? What a weirdo. Did you even leave the room last night?”

“The only time I left, I went downstairs to get a glass of water but after that, I came back up. I definitely wasn’t chasing after no man. Nor did I get any letters”

“That is so crazy!”

“How does she even come up with this stuff?”

“She was probably lying there all night plotting a crazy story to tell about you to make you look bad. Especially since you were getting attention last night because everybody wanted to know what was going on with you in Mrs. Omastar office. Well, that and we kind of kicked her out of the room last night.”

“ I have to leave for the shelter soon. Talk to you later?”

“Sure. Bye Olivia”

“Bye Sam.”

After a long day of cleaning up dog poop, Olivia went home and decided to call Jason to tell him what had happened. A little over four months ago Jason and his family moved the next state over to be closer to his elderly grandparents. Olivia and Jason talked over the phone at least once a week so they would stay in touch. Olivia put his number into the phone to call him. After a couple of rings, Olivia became worried he would answer. Then on the last ring, he picked up.

“Hey Jason, it is Olivia.”

“Oh hey, nice to talk to you.”

“What's been going on lately?”

“Not much. What about you?”

“ Well, last night Mrs. Omastar pulled me into her office to tell me someone was in the process of adopting me.”

“Oh my Olivia, that's amazing. I am so happy for you.”

“Well, Meir wouldn’t let that last long so we all got into a fight because I wouldn’t tell them what Mrs. Omastar told me. So then Meir slept on the couch by the front door. Well, when I was going to get a drink of water last night someone slipped a letter addressed to me through the mail slot. So I picked up the letter chased after them but there was no way I was going to catch them so I went back in and went to bed. Well, then this morning when I saw Meir she told me she saw everything.”

“ What did you say back to her?”

“I told her she must have had a crazy dream. I didn’t know what else to say.”

“That's crazy. What are you gonna do when she tells everyone what she saw?”

“I have no idea. I know she is going to tell everyone what she saw. I just don’t know how to explain what happens. I haven’t even gotten the chance to read the letter yet.”

“I have to go, I have to take my brother to the park.”

“Okay, bye”

“Call me after you read the letter. I would like to know what it says.”

“Of course Jason. See you later.”

“Yeah, bye.”

Jason hangs up the phone leaving Olivia all alone. Olivia walks back to her room to see Meir fallen asleep in her bed and Sam listening to music through her headphones. As soon as Sam looks up and sees Olivia entering she takes off her headphones to greet her.

“What’s going on Olivia?” Sam says in a demanding way

“What?” Olivia says confused

“Meir told me what she saw and it all makes sense now Olivia. You can’t lie to me anymore. I know your big secret.”

“What did she tell you? Why are you so angry? Why would you even believe Meir about anything? You know she is a jealous liar.”

“She said that the other day when Mrs. Omastar pulled you into her office that it is because your being sent to a private school in a different state. That's why you are not telling anybody what's going on. You are just going to skip town and not tell anyone.”

“That's not what happens.”

“Then what did happen, Olivia? Tell me that.”

“Remember that lady who came here a few months ago? Her name was Savannah.”

“Yes.”

“She was trying to find someone who she wanted to adopt. Then after that, she began going through the process to adopt me. I didn’t know until Mrs. Omastar told me last night. She just wanted to make sure I was okay with it before it became official. She said in about 2 months or so that I will be adopted.”

“Oh, that amazing. I don’t know why I believed Meir anyways I’m sorry.” Sam says sounding sad

“What the matter Sam? You sound like you just saw a thousand puppies being murdered.”

“Nothing, just I’m going to be sad when you leave. I also am kind of bummed that you wouldn’t tell me something so awesome right away.”

“It not official yet and I didn’t want to get too excited over something that might now happen.”

“But, still Olivia I thought we were friends but you can’t even tell me about major changes in your life.”

“It is not like that Sam I just…”

“I know Olivia you never mean it.”

Sam got up off her bed and left the room looking like she had just gotten out of a fight. Olivia was too tired after a long day of cleaning up dog crap after not getting any sleep the night before, to chase after her. Olivia then made her bed and went to sleep. She was only awakened by Mrs. Omastar calling everyone to go to dinner. Olivia just rolled over and went back to sleep.

9/21/14

Dear Olivia,

It has been months since I have written to you. This is because I have been wondering if I should even ask you something like this. Before I tell you my inquiries I would like you to know this is not a rash decision that I have made. I have spent the last months debating on whether to ask you or not. I would also like you to know if you ever gave me the opportunity I would never abandon you again. I was young and made a very unfortunate decision that I regret every day and will spend the rest of my time on this planet trying to make it up to you.

I would like to ask you if you would like to come to live with me? I know this seems very sudden and crazy but I would really like you to. Even if you aren't willing to move in, you could at least come for a visit. I understand how much trouble you could get into for doing this but I would really like to talk to you about something. In this letter, I have included a train ticket for 3 days after this letter is delivered. The train leaves the station at nine in the morning. You will have to get off at the last stop then take a cab from there. I have left a cell phone for you to pick up at the library on maple street, it can be found in the lost and found, describe it as the cell phone with a maroon cell phone case, with the lock screen being a bulldog eating Chick-Fil-a with a turtle on its head. This phone will have Uber on it connect to my bank account so you can get a ride to my place after you arrive at the train station.

I know this request may sound a little crazy but I strongly suggest you at least consider my offer. Due to the nature of this letter I have personality delivered this letter. I also suggest not telling anyone about where you are going. Do not even tell them you are leaving. Please, it is very important nobody knows because both you and I could get in a lot of trouble.

Sincerely,

Your Father

P.S, I would be overjoyed to meet you, and I hope this is the chance I have been waiting for. I put a lot of time and money into getting this set up so please show up, if not for me, for answers.

Olivia set the letter down on the bathroom sink as tears rolled down her face. It was the first time she had felt as if someone actually cared about her enough to fight for her. Under that Olivia was confused and scared. Would she be able to make an escape? The letter was dated the 21st. Three days after that was 24th. Tomorrow was the 24th how would she be able to orchestrate all this all in a matter of hours. The Library didn’t open until 7:30 the next morning.

After hours of deliberation and going back and forth the rest of the night, Olivia realized that she had to go and meet her father. She knew she would never have the opportunity again. She also knew she would regret it for the rest of her life if she did not go and meet him.

Olivia checked the back of the envelope and pulled out the train ticket. She secured the letter and ticket back in the envelope and shoved them in her pocket. She then unlocked the bathroom door and left the longest bathroom trip in her life. Thankful for the fact she opens the letter before tomorrow she went to her room and quietly packet all necessary items in her school backpack that had been on vacation since school got out.

By the time, Olivia was done packing the sun was peeking out of the sky. She shoved her bag under her bed and tried to sleep. She was too full of adrenaline and excitement to sleep so she ended up pretended to sleep and trying her hardest not to fidget around. After a half, an hour of waiting Mrs. Omastar finally called to wake all the girls up. Olivia jumped out of bed and went to take a shower. She wasn’t sure how long her trip would take and didn’t want to smell bad. After she was done taking a shower. She got dressed grabbed her backpack, and walk downstairs to talk to Mrs. Omastar.

“Hey, Mrs. Omastar can I leave a little early and stop by the library to pick up a few books before, I go to the shelter?” Olivia said

“Sure you can Olivia just make sure you make it to the shelter on time. Thanks for asking me and not just leaving. Sometimes you girl just leave and don’t tell me, it sends me into a real panic.”

“No problem Mrs. Omastar, I would never leave you hanging like that.” Olivia lied

“You better get going, Olivia. Especially if you are going to make it to the shelter on time.”

“Okay, Bye Mrs. Omastar” Olivia said while walking away

“Bye, Olivia I will see you later!”

“Of course,” Olivia said

Olivia began her walk to the library feeling bad for lying to Mrs. Omastar. She didn’t know what else to do. Olivia began to consider leaving a note to Mrs. Omastar before realizing she didn’t have the time to leave her a note. Besides leaving her a note would be too risky. White Orchid Orphanage was three blocks away from the maple street library. Olivia’s hold walks there, she was thinking of all the people she never got the chance to say goodbye too, Sam, Jason, Mrs. Omastar. Olivia thought she would never miss that strict old bat, but the thoughts of leaving her were a lot to bare. However, Olivia knew she had to meet her father, even if it meant leaving everything she has ever known.

Olivia walked into the library. As soon as she walked in she found a front desk located 20 feet in front of her. She walked over to the desk to see a little bell sitting on the desk to ring as an old fashion hotel would have. Olivia rings the bell and an old lady librarian walk out from the back.

“Hello, young lady, can I help you find anything.”

“Actually, yes you can. Do you happen to have a lost and found at the Library?”

“Yes, is there anything you are looking for in particular?”

“My phone actually. I left it in here the other day. It has a dark red phone case, maroon.”

“What was on the lock screen?” The old lady asks in a questioning tone as if she believed it wasn’t really Olivia’s phone.

“It was my dog, Rex,  with my pet turtle whose name is Nike, but not like the brand Nike, like the Greek god Nike. You know the goddess of victory. Although most people just think I named a turtle after a pair of shoes. Oh, and I almost forgot, they happen to be eating Chick-Fil-a”

“Well I suppose this phone must be yours.” the old lady then hands Olivia the phone “I’m glad you know Nike is more than just a pair of shoes.”

“Most of my friends do not. They just must be neanderthals because I would never name a turtle after a pair of sneakers. I chose the goddess of victory because the tortoise and the hare, you know like the fable story where the tortoise and hare are racing, and the tortoise wins.”

“Clever, but you know your turtle happens to be a tortoise right?”

“Turtle sounds better.”

“You got me there. Have a nice day.”

“You too.”

Olivia walks out of the library and begins her three-mile journey to the train stations. She knows that she could take a uber, but she couldn’t risk being able to be tracked. Going to the library only gave them an idea of what she could have been going.

After a long walk, Olivia finally made it to the train station. She walks up to the entrance and waits in a line 20 people deep. By the time she gets to the front of the line she is so tired, she can barely stay awake. Especially after staying up all night. When she approaches the man at the counter he gives her a suspicious look.

“You look awfully young to be riding a train all by yourself, young lady.”

“My mom bought it for me. You see my parents are divorced and I visit my mother during the summer. My vacation is over and school starts in 2 weeks. I have to go back to my dads where I go to school.”

“My parents are divorced too. It can be hard” The man at the counter says

The man takes her ticket and tells her she can go through. Olivia only had 15 minutes until her train left. She began to run around like a chicken with its head cut off to find where she will board the train. She finally finds it with just three minutes to spare.

The train's doors open as people file in and find spots. Olivia walks over to a conductor confused and not knowing where to go.

“Hello sir, can you help me find my seat,” Olivia says then holds her ticket up

“Well, you are in the private quarters. I will show you where to go.”

Olivia follows the man onto a different train car. This train car has a small hallway. When they reach the second door to the left the conductor points to the door. He then opens the door and lets her in. Giving her a key card, as a hotel would.

“You are going to be enjoying your 15-hour train ride a lot more than most people will, young lady.”

“Thanks for showing me to my spot.”

“No problem.” The conductor says while walking away.

Olivia walks into the room to realize it is a hotel room on a train. It was more than twice the size of her shared room, with a beg three times bigger than her own. It was amazing. However, Olivia was so sleep deprived before she could even realize its full glory she had to lay down. She turned the television on while she drifted away into a deep sleep.

When Olivia woke up she checked the time, she was already 5 hours into her ride. Although she was still tired her stomach was screaming for food, rumbling her awake. Olivia made her way over to the mini fridge to see it was fully stocked with anything she could ever need. She pulled out a soda and yogurt and pigged out. It was the best yogurt Olivia had ever had. Olivia then decided to relax and watch Doctor Phil episodes on the giant flat screen in her room. Before she knew it she had fallen asleep again.

Olivia was awakened by the train coming to a halting stop. She then released her train trip was over. She was disappointed she wasn’t able to enjoy her room to the fullest but her sleep deprivation had caught up with her. However, the train ride was the least of her worries as she was just about to meet her father for the first time. She got onto the phone she picked up from the library and got onto the Uber app and got herself an Uber.

20 minutes later her Uber picked her up. The driver was an awkward younger lady with short brown hair and aviator glasses. Neither of them said a word the whole ride to the house. The uber then stopped in the middle of a neighborhood at a white house. It had a light yellow trim and dark mossy colored green door. The house happened to have a medium brown mailbox with golden sticker numbers falling off, with a fire hydrant to the left that had a bright sky blue top and sunflower yellow base. Olivia got out of the Uber and admired the medium-sized house.

Olivia walked up to the green door with butterflies swarming around her stomach. Olivia felt like she was going to throw up her yogurt all over the cement sidewalk. When she finally reached the door she noticed a doorbell. She pressed the button and could hear the ring from inside the house. She then heard someone walking up to the door. The door open to reveal a 5’11 tall man with light brown hair answering the door. He was wearing a black Harley Davidson shirt and a pair of camel colored cargo shorts.

“I’m Olivia and I received a letter telling me to come here,” Olivia said in a wobbly nervous voice.

“I’m Frank William, your father, the man who has been sending you those letters.”

Frank open the door open and with tears running down both of their faces the embraced each other with hugs. Once they both had gotten over the initial shock he invited Olivia to sit down so he could explain everything too her.

“I know you probably think I’m a terrible person. I am in some ways. Any man who would abandon his own child is. I and your mother were both 23 when we decided to have you. We were both so happy about how everything was going. She was so excited to finally become a mother. Our lives were perfect at that moment. After she had you we were so happy. Then 2 weeks later she found out she had a partial colectomy and had to have a section of her colon removed. She had to have emergency surgery. They didn’t have time to wait for her colon to cleanse. Due to this, there was a high chance of complications. She ended up dying during surgery. I was then a single dad with two young infants and I couldn’t handle it. So I took you guys to the church and signed a bunch of papers giving up my parental rights to you guys and you became an orphan. I was desperate and didn’t know what else to do. I could not handle you guys by myself. I know it doesn’t make it okay but I just think its something you should know.” Olivia father told her.

“Why did you have two young infants?”

“You have a twin sister.”

“What?”

“She made it here first.”

“Can I meet her?”

Olivia father gets up and walks to a room and opens the door. He walks down the hallway with a familiar face to Olivia following him.

“Oh my god! Are we really twins? I can’t believe this?” Olivia says baffled

“It’s crazy isn’t it Olivia? How we could live together our whole lives and never know.”

“ I can’t believe my luck, having Meir as my twin!”

“Don’t worry I was not thrilled at first either. However, the idea has grown on me.” Meir says smirking

Olivia was overwhelmed and decided she needed a moment to herself to collect her thoughts and give everything a moment to simmer down. She then walked over to her father and asked him to have a private conversation. They then went into the kitchen to talk.

“I need to go on a walk or something. Nothing against you I just need a moment to let things calm down inside my brain.” Olivia says

“I’m sorry I can’t let you leave.”

“ Just for a short walk?”

“I worked so hard to get you here. I’m never letting you leave my sight again.” Olivia father says.

Olivia shifts her position to get a straight shot for the door and makes a run for it. Before she can even make it a few feet her father grab ahold of her.

“Olivia, you are not going anywhere!”

He then grabs her and Meir by the arms and forces them into a bedroom then locks the door from the outside so neither of them can get out.

“What are we going to do now?” Meir whispers

“I have no idea!”

“I didn’t even try to leave but after he told me his story I said I wanted to take a nap and he showed me to this room. When I woke up the door wouldn’t open. I was going to wait for you to get here then try and escape then. However, that didn’t work out so well.” Meir explains

“Why is he doing this? What a weirdo.”

“I have no idea. But if he got that mad about nothing I could only imagine what he would do if we did give him a reason to be angry.”

“We have to find a way out of here before he comes back. It is too dangerous to be around him.”

Meir and Olivia began to rummage around the room to look for anything that could help them escape. After looking for what felt like forever, they had found nothing. They then began to hear footsteps coming up to the door. After the doorknob was fidgeting for a few minutes it then began to open. Olivia and Meir father Frank was standing outside of it.

“Hey, girls what's going on in here?” Frank said sounding surprisingly happy.

“Not much, there is nothing in this room to do,” Meir said

“That doesn’t sound fun. If you guys promise to be good I will let you stay out while I go to the store.” Frank said treating them like they were three years old.

“Okay!” Meir said sounding excited.

“You guys have to be good.”

“We will.”

Frank left the door open as he walks away. He then grabs his wallet and left the house, locking the door from the inside and out. Meir and Olivia walk out of the room and exchange bewildered looks.

“What are we going to do Olivia?” Meir says “This is the perfect opportunity to escape!.”

“We need to come up with a plan. If we have a plan and work together we can do this. The only way we will get out is by working together. First I think we should look around some more to look for more clues"

“Are you sure Olivia? We could try to break out a window or something.” Meir says

“If we look around we might find a key or something,” Olivia says

“If you want too we can always give it a chance,” Meir says

Olivia began to search Frank's bedroom as Meir searched the living room. Inside a sock draw covered in socks, Olivia finds a pile of hundred dollar bills. There were at least 3000 dollars in cash. Under the pile of cash, there were three passports. One had a picture of Frank inside of it, except under the name Garrett Jensen instead of Frank Williams like he told Olivia his name was. The other passport had a picture of Meir in it, except the name was Violet Jenson. The the last passport she opened had a picture of herself under the name Tally Jenson.

“Meir comes here I think I found something,” Olivia yelled to the other side of the house

“What is all of this?”

“There passports one for me, you and Frank. Except they all have fake names on them. There also is a bunch of cash hidden in here too.” Olivia said, “I think we should search around in here until we find why he might have all of this stuff.”

Meir and Olivia then began to ransack their father's room looking for any hints to why he might have all these weird things. When searching through his closet Olivia finds a computer. When she opens it up it has no password on it immediately starts to go to a website. The website looked like craigslist, but instead of people selling used cars and bicycles, it was people they were selling. She then went on my account tab. Two advertisements came up. One for Meir and One for her. Olivia then realized that her father had lured them there so that he could try and human traffic both Olivia and Meir. She then checked the message tab to see him negotiating prices with people on both her and Meir.

“Meir you are going to have to see this one for yourself,” Olivia says shocked

“What?” Meir walks over and watches as Olivia shows her everything she found of his computer. “He got us to come here to try and sell us. Oh my god, this is crazy. We have to leave now.”

“We need to overpower him when he comes back from the store and makes a run for it,” Olivia says

“How are we going to do that? He is a full grown man.”

“I don't know but we better figure it out,” Olivia says in a panic

“I have an idea what if when he is opening the door we throw the sock full of money and passports then make a run for it,” Meir says

“I mean it is the best idea so far. I think we can make it work.”

Olivia and Meir then prepared for they escape. Olivia prepared the sock and the passports so that when thrown they would disperse and give them extra running time. Right before Meir had the opportunity to decide what direction they would run, Olivia was hit with an amazing idea.

“Meir, I still have the phone he gave me to get an Uber to his house. We can just call the police.”

“That is the best idea I think you have ever had Olivia!”

Olivia then grabs the cell phone and dials 911 while preparing the story in her head.

“This is 911 what's your emergency?”

“I was kidnapped, and Frank Williams the man who kidnapped me left me in the house all alone and I found evidence her is trying to human traffic me and my friend. We can’t get away were stuck in the house.”

“Do you know what address your at?”

“We have no idea. We need someone to come here now. He could come back at any moment.”

“Stay calm we have police en route to you satellite location.”

“Okay”

“Does anyone in the house need medical attention?”

“No were both fine”

“The police should be there any moment. How are you guys stuck in the house?”

“The door is locked from the inside and out so we can’t leave because we can’t find the keys.”

“Okay, I’m going to need you guys to be away from the front door they are going to have to break the door to get in.”

“Were away from the door now.”

“I just got information the police have arrived if you hear any loud noises they are probably just breaking the door in. When the police get inside to tell me and then hang up okay?”

“Okay.”

“What is you and your friend's names?” The operator asks as a loud bang sounds through the door

“I am Olivia and my friend's name is Meir.”

“How did you guys get kidnapped?”

“Well it’s a really long story,” Olivia pauses as the door caves in and police officers rush in

“They got in,” Olivia says then hangs up the phone.

“You guys the only two people in this house?” A police officer asks

“Yes,” Meir says “Yes we are.”

“On the table, there is fake passports with our pictures and fake names on them. The other passport is of the man who kidnapped us. Also on the computer, there is the evidence of him trying to sell us online.” Olivia says

“I’m going to have you guys go ahead and get follow officer Doug outside so he can get you guys out of here before that guy shows back up.”

Olivia and Meir follow officer Doug outside into his police car. As soon as possible they are shoved in the back and officer Doug drives away from the house while Olivia watches the house grow smaller out of the back window.

1 year latter

Olivia stares at the television as the judge pronounces Frank William Joseph guilty of kidnapping and sentences him to 20 years in jail. Olivia then looks up at Savannah and they both sign in relief. Olivia had invited Meir over to watch the trial together. Meir hadn’t shown up. Olivia’s phone started to ring. Jason was calling her.

“Hey, Olivia did you see the conclusion to the trial?”

“Yes. I just saw it. 20/20 and Dr. Phil contact me yesterday asking if I would like to do an interview. I think that would be pretty cool. However, I wouldn’t want to make it without Meir because it is just as much my story as hers. She would never agree to do anything like that.” Olivia said

“Wow, that is cool. Well, at least now you will be able to forget about it since he in jail now.”

“I have got to get going I want to go and try and talk to Meir. She hasn’t talked to since everything happened.”

Olivia hangs up the phone and Savannah gives her a concerned looked.

“What is the matter Savannah?”

“Are you alright?” Savannah replies

“Meir hasn’t talked to me in at least 3 months and even before that it was just an okay, or sorry I’m too busy. She won’t talk to me anymore.”

“She probably just needs time.”

“I invited her today and she didn’t show up.”

“You and Meir were never friends. She might not be interested in trying to be friends. She might be over it.” Savannah said

“I feel like we are more connected now,” Olivia said neither her or Meir told anyone that they were siblings.

“I don’t know Olivia, I don’t think she really wants anything to do with you."