Monster of Eden Lake | Teen Ink

Monster of Eden Lake

By tylerapplegate, Maysville, Kentucky
tylerapplegate, Maysville, Kentucky

Author's note:

This piece was based off of an idea that just popped up into my head.

This chapter is the whole book.

On a dark and scary night at Eden Lake, the campers all sat around the campfire eating smores, when the campers heard a noise over in the bushes. The first camper to hear the noise was Rusty. Rusty is a boy that lived on a farm out in the country and being out in the woods wasn’t all too different to him. He told Will about the noise and Will said he didn't hear it. Rusty contemplated “I might just be hearing things”, and went back to roasting his marshmallow. Then, Will had heard the noise in the bushes too. He went on to tell Rusty about the noise and then both the boys both ran to tell other people about this loud noise they've been hearing over by the fire. Savana one of the campers from the other bunk joked that she thought it could be a monster. Her telling the boys that she thinks there could be a monster made the two boys laugh. After a good laugh, Rusty, Will, and Savana went back to the fire. When all of them got back to the fire, everyone saw that everything had been eaten. Rusty, Will, and Savana all got really scared and ran back over to the cabin. Whenever they got back over to the cabin, there was a racoon on the porch with all of the graham crackers and marshmallows eating away everything. Whenever Rusty and Will had saw the racoon, they figured it was probably the noise all of them  had been hearing in the bushes.Everyone was relieved and then the campers continued back into their cabins, and went to sleep.

The next morning, the boys and Savana went down to the lake. The lake was one of the main reasons for the camp name (Camp Eden). Lake Eden had been one of the biggest lakes in the surrounding area and had many surrounding camps grouped around it from different schools and different states. The camp was very big and had many activities. Some of the activities were swimming, kayaking, and many games (some were indoors and some aren't). But there was always one story of a monster that lived in the lake that scared many kids out of the activities that were based around going into the water. Also, there was one rumor of a kid named Charles that went missing at the camp after going for a swim at night. It is said that his body was never discovered, which scared many kids from coming to this camp. Nevertheless, kids still came to this camp to have a fun summer with their friends and to meet new people.

Back at the lake, Will got into his kayak and grabbed his paddles. Will loved going into the water and so did Rusty, but today for some reason Rusty didn’t feel so good. Will asked Rusty what was going on and Rusty mumbled, “I don't really feel that good, I think I'm gonna sit this one out”. Will was sad but continued to go out into the lake and started to paddle around the lake. Will liked meeting new people, and today he met a boy named Travis. Travis went to Lakewood High, a school not that far away from the school that Will and Rusty went to. Will and Travis got to know each other while out on the water and later went back to shore. Will introduced Travis to Rusty and Rusty also wanted to be friends with Travis, which made Rusty feel a little bit better. After Rusty met Travis, Will and Travis had conned Rusty into getting his kayak and went out into the water with them.

Going over to the lodge. Savana was in the lodge cafeteria eating her snack that she had bought, while she was eating a girl named Zoey came and sat down next to her. Zoey was one of Savanas best friends from school. “What are you eating?” Zoey asked. “A rice crispy treat” Savana replied. After Savana got done eating, the two girls went outside and saw the boys out in the water. The girls asked Rusty and Will who the other boy was, and they both said, “Travis” at the same time. Travis waved. By the time the boys made it back to shore, it had gotten pretty close to night time, around 9 o’clock or so. All the kids agreed on making a fire and roasting marshmallows like they did the night before.

After they all made a marshmallow, they went out towards the lake. The lake’s always scarier at night just because everyone remembered about the boy that disappeared in the lake. Nevertheless, one of the boys got into the lake and swam anyways. Travis is the one that got into the lake. Travis always didn’t care about what other people said, and didn’t even believe the story of the boy disappearing in the lake. While Travis swam, the others had walked away and left him alone. As travis kept swimming, he had finally realized that all the others were gone. Noticing this, he got out of the lake and started drying off with his towel then started looking for the others. After looking for a good bit of time, he had finally found Rusty, Will, and Savana, but no Zoey. He then asked where Zoey had went and the others said that they couldn’t find her either and thought she had went to look for him. Hours passed and no one could find Zoey. The kids had finally went and told the camp director Mr. Atlas that no-one could find Zoey. Mr. Atlas the went on to tell the other camp leaders that Zoey had not been seen over the past 3-4 hours and said that others should go out and look for her. More time passed and nobody could find Zoey.

Days went by, Zoey still had not yet been found. Her parents were contacted and they were devastated. No one could think of why or how she could of went missing, and then everything went back to the boy that went missing in the lake. After revisiting this sad occurrence, a police team had been sent to search the lake for Zoey. Zoeys body got recovered out of the bottom of the lake with a huge bite mark out of her side, which lead everyone to think the stories of the Eden lake monster were true after all.

More and more kids started to go missing in the water, Enough kids for the camp to not let anyone swim or kayak in the lake. This made other campers leave the camp, but many campers wanted to stay because the were with their friends and were having fun. As the next few days went by, kids stopped going missing, but Will and Rusty had asked each other “Wonder why we haven't been eaten yet?”. Little did they know that the Eden Lake monster was going to emerge from the lake.

On the last Friday on the last week of camp, the monster finally came out of the lake. The monster is huge. It’s around 9 feet tall, had an alligator like face, and a human like body. The monster started eating everyone, but Rusty, Will, Travis, and Savana were all still alive. The 4 kids were really scared of the monster, but really mad at the same time. The kids started to pick up things off of the ground and began to make weapons and harmed the monster, all the weapons were about the same but got the job done. The monster was dead. The police were contacted and the monster got taken to a lab for research. Everyone was happy that the monster had been killed, except for the 4 kids who killed it. All the kids were sad that all their friends were gone and really just wanted to go home.