The Secrets Revealed | Teen Ink

The Secrets Revealed

By roved12 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
roved12 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Hi I'm Samantha, I apologize if you found this letter because you will be hearing this tragic, torturous, and gothic story of my life as a 17 year old girl. It's a long story, so please bare with me... I'm an only child with an awful childhood. You see, I live in a huge mansion with my father, he's a hard working rich man. We also have a lot of help around the place. I know what you're thinking, "that doesn't sound awful at all," but you're mistaken. My mother left me when I was young, I didn't know why until a few months ago. My father travels twice a month and leaves me home with the servants. Diana was my favorite of all the help, she stayed over night, she practically raised me while my father was on his business trips. He was always gone and school was really hard! But that's not why I had an awful childhood. My best friend Lucy died away a year ago. People say I killed her because we were fighting, but I would never do that! Allow me to tell you the real story... Lucy and I liked this kid from school, his name was Jake. He was the cutest senior in school, he had blue eyes, brown hair, broad shoulders and he was on the football team. I know what you're thinking, Gorgeous! And you're right, but he caused a lot of problems between me and Lucy. We were fighting over him for two weeks. It wasn't until Diana reminded me that she was my best friend that I decided to apologize. Or at least planned on apologizing... Well anyways, I left her a letter in her locker to meet me in the woods under this tree we used play by as kids, I figured it would bring back good memories and we would be able to talk. I waited in the freezing, spooky woods for 45 minutes until I realized she wasn't coming. On my way home I saw Lucy and Jake at the park together. I was so hurt! I wanted to make things better, but she just stabbed me in the back! I hated her so much! But that's not even the worse part. Two days later Lucy was found dead in the woods in the exact spot that we were supposed to meet at. Nobody knows about our secret spot, how did she wind up there? Although I was mad at her for secretly seeing Jake, I felt awful. So many questions were running through my mind at that moment. The worst part about my best friend’s death was that everyone accused me. I understand why they think I would hurt her, I had a motive. But I would never do that! As soon as my father heard about this "murder" and how I'm the suspect he rushed back from his business trip. Only two hours after my father arrived I was released. My father is a very very powerful man if you can't tell. I still don't know how he got me out with all the evidence the officers had of my presence at the crime scene. Honestly I have no idea what happened to Lucy, but I told myself I'd get to the bottom of it. For that time being I had to keep a low profile, I didn't want anyone suspecting anything. So I decided to go back school, ya know, I figured it would keep me occupied and keep my mind off of things. But of course, I was wrong. I could tell that everyone was scared of me, that I might "kill them". I hated the way everyone was looking at me, the fear in their eyes every time I walked by; the silence in the room when I walked in. It was unbearable. I decided I couldn't do it anymore, school, I just couldn't. My dad was away so he would never know, I figured that was a good idea. He had no idea I dropped out of school until I told him, I know I'm stupid why would I tell my dad I dropped out of school blah blah blah... Well since you're so curious and made it this far I think it's only best if I told you. I was bored. I decided to travel to China on the family jet, my dad was working in China, well at least that's what he told me... When I arrived I spoke to some businessmen I was familiar with. They told me my father hasn't been to the office in over three months and that they were worried about him. That just didn't make sense to me, if my dad wasn't at work those last three months, than where has he been traveling off to? I traveled back home only to see my father sitting in my room with a look of disappointment. I assume Diana told my father I quit school and he didn't seem too happy. First thing he did was scream at me, but I didn't just take that. I asked him why he's been lying about work and where's he's really been. And you know what he said? He yelled some more and he even hit me. My father never hit me before. I guess I discovered some family secret. He told me to stop being nosy and to mind my own business, but he should've known better. Being a Monroe, I don't stop till I get to the bottom of things. So now I had two things to figure out, 1 what happen to Lucy and 2 what my father is keeping from me. So In case I didn't mention it before, I'm into technology and electronics. I decided to make some really small cameras and hide them around the house. My dad won't be able to see them and I can keep an eye on him (I forgot to mention, he made me go back to school). After two months I gathered some strange information. I found out my dad has been making phone calls to the same number at least twice a day, and whenever he's speaking to that mysterious person he has a very straight face. He mentioned the name Sam a few times, but that has no meaning to me. So two more months passed, I discovered nothing new and my father acts like everything is fine. He acts as if he's the sweetest man, like he hadn't been keeping some major secret from his one and only daughter, his only family. So here's what happened next, I stole my dads phone when he was in the shower and called up that number. A lady answered and said, "Peter, I hope you have things under control. Sam is missing and we can't have Samantha find out about any of this.” It took me a moment to absorb what I just heard. “Peter? Are you there Peter?" I didn't answer and so she said my fathers name again. I hung up right away. After that I sat in the main den waiting for my father. Only a few minutes later my father came rushing downstairs with a suitcase. Yup, another "business trip". This time I didn't let him go. I told my father on his way ouy, "I know about Sam.” Immediately he closed the door and turned around, he looked pale and of course shocked. He sat down beside me and asked how I found out. And so I told him what I heard on the phone, he told me it's urgent that he takes the next flight out, but when he gets back he'll tell me everything. So, my father left me once again. A few days passed my father being gone... I went to my room only to find that it was turned upside down. I ran to get Diana, but my door was locked. I was trapped in my room with something or someone that did this. And no one was around to help me. When I tried to pick up the phone and call the police, I saw that the line was cut off. I was shaking. I went to hide in my closet, but when I opened the door I saw Diana. DEAD. I couldn't believe my eyes. My one real friend lying dead on my closet floor. I started crying and ran to the door, but this time it opened. I called the police and they rushed to my home. I told them everything, with tears in my eyes. When the officers called my father he said he will come home soon. A few days passed and my father was still yet to return home, I told the officers I'd be fine... That was a big mistake. I went home to my big mansion alone. It's been two weeks now and the place hasn't been cleaned up. There's spider webs everywhere, dirty clothes, dirty dishes, but when I went to my room it was spotless. As if someone had been living there. The bed was made, my toothbrush was wet, my radio was turned on, the strangest thing was that every picture I had with Lucy in my room was cut up on the floor. When I turned around to rush towards my door, I noticed that it was closed. The thing was, that I didn't close the door. That means that whoever killed Diana, whoever killed Lucy, whoever has been living in my room, was in the room with me at that exact time. So I ran to my closet hoping not to see another dead body when I opened the door. As I slowly opened the door I saw a foot, I started crying. But when I opened the door I was astonished to see who was laying on the floor. It was me. It was me laying on the floor. And no there's no mirror on my floor. As I stepped away from the closet I saw "my" body start to move. I began to run towards the windows and than something hit me on the head. When I woke up, I was no longer in my room. I was in some sort of dungeon and my head was really hurting. I was so scared. I heard a noise in the distance, so I pretended to be unconscious again. I couldn't fool my abductor, I assume they have some sort of camera down here to keep an eye on me. My abductor kicked me in the stomach and yelled at me to stand up. I stood up with tears in my eyes. And once again, I saw myself. Who are you, I was wondering... But I spoke out loud without noticing. And my abductor responded, "Hi I'm Sam". SAM?!?! The Sam I heard that woman talk about, the one my father went looking for? What does she want from me? So many thoughts were rushing through my head, I guess Sam saw that. She slapped me across the face to wake me up. She fed me some food, honestly I think she put something in it because a few minutes later I dropped to the floor. When I woke up I was tied up to a tree in the forest. The same place Lucy died. I begged for my life and began crying. It was only at that moment that Sam began to talk. She told me EVERYTHING. After she told me everything I grew a large hatred to my father. Let me explain, apparently Sam is my twin sister. She was diagnosed with some sort of disease as a child and my parents didn't want her around, my mother went out of town with Sam and raised her on her own while my father raised me. Every time my father went on a "business" trip he was really going to visit my mother and Sam. She explained to me how the doctors put her on many medications. She told me she ran away to find me and kill me. I asked her why and she said because I was the better twin and she was jealous of me. She never explained to me why she hurt Diana or Lucy... I decided that I needed to find my father and explain everything to him. Ask him why he hurt my sister Sam. I’m gonna try and escape tonight. If I don't make it out alive and somebody finds this letter, please tell my parents that I hate them and I will never forgive them for lying to me and raising me as an only child with only a father.
Sincerely, Samantha Monroe