The Wrong King | Teen Ink

The Wrong King

By TroyChitt SILVER, Gresham, Oregon
TroyChitt SILVER, Gresham, Oregon

"You're crazy!" -Alaina, my best friend

Author's note:

This was originally an assignment I typed up three years ago. I was tasked with creating my own dystopian universe or world. I created a world that worked under the "King's Way". I lost interest in this project after finishing the first chapter. So, here I am three years later, rewriting it completely and hoping to make something bigger out of it. This singular chapter is interesting enough to read by itself. However, if anyone were interested enough, more chapters are to come of this story.

We're introduced to our two key characters, Cory and Nicholas, and the world around them.

He wished he was left alone for the rest of his life; to dream and to find happiness in a world which did not exist. He imagined a place where he could go wherever he wanted and do whatever he wanted. Where he didn’t need to be afraid of dying under the King’s Rules. But no such world existed. No such world would likely ever exist.

Cory had to wake up. The Bell rang; that thick, haunting pound, echoing throughout the emptiness of the Sector. It was the sound he wished he didn’t have to hear every morning. He prayed to whatever God was out there that he didn’t need to listen to the damned thing anymore. Waking up was the worst, he’d say. But then again, there were so many worse things to do throughout the day. Maybe it was time for him to accept that everything was terrible and nothing would ever get better. Nothing had changed since he entered the world sixteen years ago. Everyone would always have the same room, and the same family, and the same everything. The only thing that was different about everyone’s bedrooms were the different soldiers that’d come in the mornings to escort them to the Working Stations.

CONFIDENTIAL NOTES
For approved members of the King’s Order and Way of Living.

NAME OF PERSON
Cory Wilson (of Sector B, #5730)

DETAILS ON PERSON
- He has been alive for Sixteen years.
- His birthday is October 4th.
- He is a male, with brown hair and blue eyes.
- He is 5’10”, and weighs 150 lbs.
- He has faced four Warnings in his life.

DIRECTOR’S NOTES: Cory is a well-behaved child who does his best to do the right thing. Although, it’s alarming how he’d always question the system as a Five year old. It is extremely unusual behavior. I suggest taking him to a Correction Facility if he continues to act this way.

Sectors are giant complexes full of Living Spaces, Work Stations, and more buildings that are registered under the King’s Order. There were many other Sectors, but each one was far away from each other, to prevent People from getting into another Sector. Something Cory would always be curious of and wonder, is how people are elected to become members of the King’s Order. He suspected it was something that’d happen when you became an Adult, or maybe your records were good enough, that they’d come and elect you at any point in time. It was something that wasn’t taught in School. He always wondered why, but never with his lips. Only in his head.

Cory observed the soldier that was standing in his doorway. Dark skin and blue eyes was all he got to see. Everything else about the man was covered in ballistic body armor, which every soldier was required to wear. “Are you Sector B, #5730?”

“Why don’t you just call me Cory?” he groaned, sitting up in bed. The soldier took a step closer. This was a Warning that Cory had “back-talked” the soldier. He did not look amused,

“Get up and out of bed. Start getting dressed.” He nodded toward Cory’s closet, “I’m supposed to remind you that it’s the King’s birthday today.”

Cory was troubled by this. It couldn’t be true; the King’s birthday was tomorrow, on July 4th, he thought. Every King’s birthday was on July 4th. He would have questioned the soldier, but then again, this would likely cause the soldier to take another step closer; questioning soldiers at all resulted in a Warning. So Cory did nothing else but do as he was told. He got out of his pajama clothes, and into his Wednesday uniform. The soldier then escorted him downstairs and into the living room section of his Living Space. His Mother and Father were likely already out at the A.W.G. (Adult Working Stations). Cory thought to himself in the meanwhile; everybody’s kid’s bedroom was the same, and every adult’s bedroom was the same. Houses were exact duplicates of one another. It was weird. Nobody got anything more or anything less, whether you were fat, skinny, tall, short, or had a disability. But you’d never see anyone with a severe disability. You were either standing and without glasses, or you were Neutralized because you aren’t allowed to be anything more, or anything less. So if you thought about it, the system wanted everyone to be the same, too. This was the King’s Way. With every King, comes his own set of rules. Or at least that’s what School taught Cory. All Kings are supposed to rule however they want. But every King in history rules the same way as the one before him. Only small things would change. The design of buildings; the uniform design; how clean the water might’ve tasted. But the Law never changed. They were just as cruel as ever. Disobey too much, and be Neutralized. Have a disability, and be Neutralized. Do something a soldier simply didn’t like? You’d be Neutralized. It was always a ruthless system that didn’t allow any nonsense or jokes. Cory suspected that’d never change. It hadn’t for such a long time.

The King’s Way is a system that has been used since the year 1776 and was established on July 4th. If it had been a system for so long, why would Cory ever question it? He’d remember a dream he had, many years ago. He dreamt that the fences that surrounded his Sector had been destroyed, and bunches of Soldiers began to bombard Living Spaces with bullets, and throw out Warning after Warning until they found an excuse to Neutralize them on the spot. Cory, in his dream, survived the ambush, and evacuated past the demolished fence, and out into the Emptiness. It ended with Cory entering a place filled with something called “trees”, and the floor was made of “grass”. Both of these were only things he’d find described in the Fantasy Books at School. He remembered those moments out in the “forest”. It was purely silent, except for the sound of something quick and sharp entering his ears over and over again. It must’ve been coming from the weird flying creatures in the trees. The dream ended with him getting lost and not being able to find his way back out.

Sometimes he’d have dreams similar to that. Ambush. Escape. Find a forest and explore it. He would find himself wishing trees and grass existed. All that was outside his home was mud, dirt, Living Spaces, and dark grey smoke entering the sky above them. Exploring the forest sounded like a lot more fun than what he’d been doing for sixteen years.

The “Rounding Line” is a long line of Teens who all step out of their homes at the same time in their Neighborhood. Everybody steps out at 5:10 AM (ten minutes after Wake Up). Where you would find a road in a street, there is only a dirt path. All the Teens step in the center of the path, and make an extra long line. There was a Rounding Line for Children, Teens, Adults, and Elderly. For the first three categories, it was always the same thing; walk in line until you reach your assigned Working Station. But for the Elderly, you only walk into the line once. You enter the Elderly line when you reach the age of sixty-five years old.

You only enter it once because that’s when you’re labeled as an Outdated. Then they put you away.

He entered the Rounding Line for today. Usually, his friend Nicholas was always right behind him, so they could whisper-talk on their way to the Working Station they were assigned to, but he wasn’t there in Line. Nicholas truly was Cory’s best friend. Even in a world where it was hard to get to know other people and find time to talk with one another or find the will to do it anyway, Cory and Nicholas managed to befriend one another. One reason why people hated to make friends was that they’d become Neutralized as soon as you’d meet them, making it not worth the effort of making a friend. But as far as Cory knew, Nicholas was a well-behaved kid who wasn’t close to being Neutralized, and Nicholas didn’t see Cory ever being Neutralized either. They were both going to make it to the end, they’d tell each other until they became Outdated.

What Cory found so nice about Nicholas was his ability to make any bad situation a less-saddening one. He’d do this via a joke he’d come up with on the spot. Cory could be shaken up or upset about injuring himself during Work or doing a poor job, Nicholas would come up to him and make things seem not-so-bad. One of Cory’s favorite examples was when he’d been given a Warning for talking back at a Soldier, even after being requested not to speak. Cory did not feel he deserved the Warning at the time; this made him sad for the rest of the day. During a 10-Minute Break, Nicholas approached Cory and told him this:

“I’m gonna be King someday,” Nicholas said to Cory.

This made Cory laugh, “Will you now?”

“Yes,” Nicholas nodded.

“It’s going to be very difficult to become one after they read your record,” Cory said.
Nicholas shook his head, “I’m going to be the King whether they like it or not.”

To become King, you had to be a man, first of all. Second, you needed to be White. Nobody knew why these were the requirements. However, so it’s told, this is the way it’s always been. Nicholas fulfilled both of these requirements. The third requirement was that you needed a perfect record; no Warnings in the entirety of your childhood. You’d then be Nominated to become a King. After that, it was up to the former King to choose who would take his place. Which lucky man would take the Throne, the Crown, and the “Key”.

Nicholas did not have anything close to a perfect record, and Cory didn’t need to read it to know it was true. He told Nicholas, “I don’t think so, my friend.”

“Just you wait,” Nicholas replied, “I’m going to make this country a better place.”

“Say that any louder,” Cory began to whisper, “and a Soldier will hear you.”

Nicholas groaned, “I don’t care.”

“You don’t care?”

“Not anymore,” Nicholas smiled, “I’m going to take the Throne, and improve the King’s Way like no King has ever done before.”

Cory laughed, “How could it get any better?”

“All systems can improve,” Nicholas replied, “and while I’m doing my improving, I’m going to wear the Crown and show my power! Finally, I’ll figure out what the Key is for.”

Nobody knew what the Key was, not even the employees. It was a legend, overall. It was likely the Key didn't exist. However, it is told, “the Key” is the ultimate treasure a King receives upon sitting atop the Throne and being gifted the Crown. This is only spread through rumor, which is why some believe it does not exist. Cory and Nicholas did believe in the Key; they theorized it was a Key to the King’s Castle. Another theory they came up with, was that it was a physical key which serves no literal function, but was meant more as a symbol of power, similar to what the Crown does.

“You better tell me what the Key does,” Cory smiled. Nicholas smiled back,

“Of course I will. We’ll be best friends forever.”

When it came to the Rounding Line, they all had to stand there for a full minute, to make sure every Teen made it to the line on-time. The Line would move with or without you. If you didn’t make it in time, that was a Warning for you. Thankfully, this had never happened to Cory. He had only gotten four Warnings in his life. Now, where was Nicholas, Cory asked himself. “He really can’t be late again… he was late yesterday and the day before… if he’s late again, he’s gonna be-”

Cory’s train of thought was interrupted when he found Nicholas running up to the Line from his Living Space. Cory would have been more excited to see his best friend if it weren’t for the way he looked, and the way he ran. His face was redder than a cherry, and his eyes looked wet and somewhat foggy. Snot dribbled down from his nostrils, and he seemed to be salivating an unusual amount of spit in his mouth. It was obvious Nicholas was sick. But what was the kind of sickness that made your eyes look foggy, Cory wondered; he was extremely worried.

The Rounding Line began to move forward and onward to the Working Station. Cory turned his head and spoke to Nicholas, “Are you feeling okay?”

“Absolutely not,” he answered honestly. Cory was made more anxious by his response,

“What are you sick with?” he asked.

Nicholas shrugged, looking down at the floor, “I don’t know.”

Spit dripped down from his bottom lip in a thick, long line. He spat to the floor to detach it from his face. He snorted the snot back up into his nose, which made Cory cringe. He knew he was talking a lot and he’d likely get another Warning if he proceeded to talk so much, so he kept it quick,

“Are you going to be okay?” he asked Nicholas. Suddenly, Nicholas forced both his hands against his temples and grunt out in pain. He sucked in air through his tightly shut teeth and closed his eyes; clearly, he was in pain.

Nicholas whimpered out, “I feel somebody is hitting me in the head. It hurts so bad.” He said, shortly afterward, he realized that wasn’t a very direct answer to Cory’s question, “I’ll be fine. Just shut up and keep moving.” he told Cory.

CONFIDENTIAL NOTES

NAME OF PERSON
Nicholas Peters (of Sector B, #5672)

DETAILS ON PERSON
- He has been alive for Fifteen years.
- His birthday is April 12th.
- He is a male, with blonde hair and blue eyes.
- He is 5’8”, and weighs 145 lbs.
- He has faced eight Warnings in his life.

DIRECTOR’S NOTES: Nicholas has had behavioral issues since he was very young. He is a nice kid and makes friends pretty well whenever he finds an opportunity. However, that’s one of his weaknesses, and it’s why he fails to get his Work done most of the time. He chats too much with his friends, and the Work Master will always complain about his behavior. It’s very disappointing. We may just have to take him to a C.F. before he reaches ten Lifetime Warnings; for the sake of him becoming a Soldier when he gets older.

Cory and Nicholas went to Work. But this particular morning would prove to be unlike anything Cory or Nicholas had ever experienced.

Every Working Station had a Master. He’d be your teacher and your boss, and none of them were aloud to be flexible with the rules, or soft with their discipline. They were just as bad as any Soldier you’d come across. As long as you do your Assignments, respect the Master, and stayed quiet, you’d be fine. It wasn’t too hard to do, once you would have been doing it for sixteen years of your life. You get used to the crushing pressure and the horrible intensity.

Warnings: the thing nobody wants, yet everybody gets. If a Soldier or approved member of the King’s Order and Way of Living (a.k.a the K.O.W.L.) was ever disappointed, unsatisfied, offended, or any case which you made them feel bad, they’d give you a Warning. Some people would get a Warning for disrespecting a Soldier or refusing to do work. Other people would get a Warning for sneezing in a Soldier’s direction. Warnings reset after 48 hours. If you got too many warnings (three in forty-eight hours, or ten in a lifetime), you would be sent to a Correction Facility, and they would “fix your mind”, whatever that meant. Nobody knew the process that happened over at Correctional Facilities. You remember walking in, and that’s it. Nobody remembers the rest of the process, or even walking out of a facility. In School, all they were told was that it was for the best that they didn’t remember.

Cory, Nicholas, and all the other Teens had arrived at their designated Working Station. It was time for a long, seven-hour process of doing whatever the Work Master told them to do. Work Stations were like factories. Or, more accurately, buildings with classrooms big enough to hold up to three hundred people. All Workers would work among many rows of tables to work on, chairs to sit on, and tools to tinker with. Usually, Kids would be assigned to make food and peel potatoes. Teens would usually have to write essays about the King and the King’s Way like they did in school. Adults would be assigned to separate jobs, based on their records and skills. That would be the job they’d do for the rest of their lives; it’d never change. Unless you did poorly at your job. Then you’d be sent to the Correction Facility.

EMPLOYEE REPORT

For only the King to read.

NAME OF EMPLOYEE
Lauren Quinn (of Sector B, #5903)

DETAILS ON PERSON
- She has been alive for Forty-Two years.
- Her birthday is January 9th.
- She is a female, with black hair and green eyes.
- She is 6’2”, and weighs 205 lbs.

- She works at Working Station B, for People #5000-6000

KING’S NOTES: She is too nice to the kids. I’ll probably fire her.

“Alright everyone,” W.M. Lauren spoke into a microphone, her voice yelling into every person’s ears, through the many speakers scattered through the room, “due to unforeseen events, the King must celebrate his birthday today. So, before we begin working for the day, we are going to send in our yearly Birthday Letter to King Ray.”

“It’s just like last year,” she continued, “write up a nice little message, and when you’re done, raise your hand and wait for a Soldier to retrieve it from you. Then you’ll get right to work on your actual job for the morning; studying the King’s Way.”

Cory knew plenty about the King’s Way. But he never did feel like his letters to the King were particularly good. This year around, he wanted to send something more sincere to the King. Afterall, the world wouldn’t be the way it was now, without him.

Before Cory could make a plan on what to write, work had already begun.

Thankfully, Cory was good at coming up with things on-the-spot. Everyone learned how to do it eventually when they Worked as often as they did. You learn to adapt to short work-times. Every Teen was supplied with a piece of paper and a pen.
Cory wrote his message to the King in five minutes,

Dear King Ray,

I wanted to wish you a happy birthday! I don’t know what a King does to celebrate his own birthday, but whatever it is you do, I hope it is all fun and good. King’s as good as you deserve to have fun on a day which celebrates their lives and successes.

My good friend, Nicholas, says he wants to be a King someday. This is only proof that you inspire so many of us People to do a good job.

Here’s to another year of being King!
WRITTEN BY. CORY WILSON OF SECTOR B #5730

Before things got sent off to the King, Soldiers would review the letters to make sure they were appropriate for reading, and there was nothing in the letter which implied suspicious behavior. Cory raised up his paper like he was raising his hand in School. In seconds, a Soldier plucked it from his fingers and glanced over the paper. Cory thought he had done just fine until the Soldier tapped Cory’s shoulder and whispered to him,

“Who is Nicholas?”

Cory felt his cheeks turn red. So many thoughts went racing through his head at an incredible speed; was he about to get a Warning? What did he do wrong? How could he have messed up? Cory went along and answered the Soldier’s question, “He’s my friend.”

“Is he now?” the Soldier asked.

“Yes.”

“What’s his Sector Code?”

“Uhh,” Cory took a moment to remember, “#5672.”

The Soldier looked up from Cory and glanced among all the Work Tables, “You wouldn’t happen to know where he sits, would you?”

He nodded. Cory stood up from his chair, and pointed in Nicholas’ direction, “Over there.” Nicholas saw Cory point at him, and as soon as Cory made eye-contact with his best friend, deep in those cloudy eyes he’d gotten from being sick, Cory saw true fear. It almost made Cory want to cry, just by looking into Nicholas’s eyes. Cory was feeling sick. The Soldier nodded, and took Cory’s letter, ripping it up into pieces, “Thank you for helping me locate Nicholas. Write another one, and don’t mention the boy.” the Soldier instructed, being given another paper. The Soldier walked off, littering the pieces of paper on the floor, and began to navigate over to Nicholas.

Cory was overwhelmed with fear. Why did the Soldier want to know where Nicholas was located? The letter, he told himself, damn it, I should’ve been more careful. Cory did not get back to writing. He was too concerned about what was going to happen to Nicholas, or perhaps even himself. Nicholas was only sitting two tables in front of him. Cory watched the conversation the Soldier had with Nicholas; the Soldier looked annoyed,

“Are you Nicholas of Sector B, #5672?” he asked.

Nicholas nodded, sniffling some snot back into his nostril, “Yes I am…”

“I need you to come with me.” the Soldier requested.

Cory felt cold. His stomach began to hurt; he was sweating. “What have I done,” he asked himself. Cory grit his teeth together, watching;

“Why?” Nicholas asked. The Soldier took a step closer,

“Do not question me,” he demanded.

“I don’t want to go.” Nicholas began to cry. There were tears going down his cheeks. His face was so red, he looked like a tomato. Veins looked inflated inside of his forehead. Something else was going on with Nicholas.

The Soldier took another step closer, “Nicholas. Get. Up.”

“NO.”

That word; no. It echoed through the entire room. Everyone stopped working and stared at the Soldier and the boy. Nobody said a word.

Before Cory could find an opportunity to blink, the Soldier raised a bat out of his holster, and he threw it up into the air. With a loud roar, he threw the bat down, and it collided hard against Nicholas’ skull.
Nicholas fell to the ground, crying and screeching in pain. His screams were the only thing that filled the room. His cracking voice bounced against the walls and got forced into everyone’s ears. The Soldier continued to throw his bat down until the screams had stopped. Cory fell to the ground and began to vomit onto the ground. In all his time of being alive, he had never seen anyone be Neutralized; and it was Nicholas who’d be first. Cory felt the world grow cold and dark. He felt like he was drowning in his own mistakes and in his own fear. He had never felt this way before. He prayed that nobody had to feel what he was feeling. But he knew his prayers would be in vain.

Everyone felt this way eventually.