The Sword | Teen Ink

The Sword

February 29, 2012
By Anonymous

Never before had he been defeated. He had killed many immortal challengers, but this time only by a mere mortal. How, he had only just begun to figure out. He, Vol’kin, god of magic, had been tricked. This, this… mortal Nysania, had tricked him into storing all his power into his beloved sword, Yeronia; last used ten thousand years ago when he was mortal; then while he was recovering, she stole it and amplified her magic into something monstrous. Stronger than even a god, she had defeated him with one spell, a gigantic burst of magic that will never again be equaled.

“So, Vol’kin,” the mocking tones in her voice only made his anger grow, “are you ready to die?”

“I will give in when I pry Yeronia from your cold, dead hands.”

“Such anger. Relax, you will always be remembered. BY NO ONE!”

A cold laugh came from the woman, no the goddess, who was mad with power.

“Do not worry. I will take care of the magic that you love. Yeronia will always stay in the hand of the only one to defeat Vol’kin, the god of magic.”

And with that Nysania raised Yeronia, the sword of the magic god, and beheaded him. Golden ichor ran from the stump of his neck, dissolving the intricate pattern on the floor. Nysania cackled, but then stopped. Soon she was screaming as a white light, brighter than one million suns, surrounded her. As god-like energy flowed through her, Nysania soon realized that she had had accomplished her life’s goal, become the one most powerful immortal to ever exist, and to rule over the only domain that can defeat all the others magic

Illthis, his name inspires terror. The entire world fears him. But this was always the truth. Illthis was once a great emperor of Urusu, death found him in the Battle of Ironia. He was buried in a grave decorated and this grave is guarded at all times. All of this was 300 years old.

Two hundred years pass and the world has all but gone back to the way things should be.

Vesocia was ready for her test. She had prepared, studied and visited every tutor she could.

“Are you, Vesocia, ready to be inducted into the Order of the Flame?”

“I, Vesocia, smallest of the small, weakest of the weak, lowest of the low, am ready to become a Magus of the Flame.”

“The come forward and you will become one of the lowest of the low, one of the weakest of the weak, one of the smallest of the small. You will be welcomed warmly, but will be expected to follow all orders that are given to you, whether they come from a Grand Magus or an Emania.”

Vesocia steps forward and enters a world that she could never imagine. This world is in flames and she is burning. Pain. Racking pain that she has never felt before. She stumbles forward and falls. A scream tries to escape her mouth, but her mouth and tongue had been turned to a pile of ashes seconds before.

Then, it was over. The pain was gone. As she opened her eyes, she saw that she was on the ground. Her face reddening, Vesocia quickly stood and face Grand Magus Andilia.

“You now know the pain and suffering caused by fire. With this knowledge we hope you will never inflict this kind of pain on any but the wicked and those who try to harm you or your friends.”

Out of nowhere Andilia produces a staff. Its about six feet long, with all but the top foot being straight, crimson wood. The top foot is an intricately carved dragon. Its mouth is filled with thousands of teeth; its body covered in scales, its wings are so thin that you can see through them. And most remarkably, the wings contain tiny almost imperceptible veins.

“This staff was created with magic to be used by a magus. It will allow you cast fire spell only until you are deemed ready to be taught otherwise.” The Grand Magus’ voice boomed throughout the room, with its high ceiling and priceless paintings, to be heard by all attending Verocia’s induction into the Order of the Flame. “Step forward and be excepted. Be welcomed, but remember you will be expected to follow orders of all that are greater than you.”

“I step forward and claim this staff and am now and forever known as Vesocia, Magus of the Flame!”

Grand Magus Uskisia was not disliked. He was hated. Everyone found him repulsive, as he had extended his life past natural length, even longer than that of the normal magic user, with his dark necromantic power. Rooms went silent when he entered. How he dreamed to be in charge of the people he saw as incompetent fools. The only ones who loved him were his necromancers. But all was about to change. He had run into a new fire mage in the halls and had sent her to get shadow essence for his spell. She had yet to return. With a knock on his door, this brash, young fire mage strolled in.

“Grand Magus,” she stated coldly, “ I retrieved the shadow essence that you require. Is there any thing else I can help you with?”

“No! Leave me. You are arrogant. Perhaps I will report your lack of meekness to Grand Magus Aldilia.” Uskisia knew how to get people to do what he wanted.

“NO! Please, I have only just started. I beg you, please do not report me. I will do what ever it takes to please you.”

Perhaps this Vesocia would come in handy after all.

“You will leave Arosia in three days. After you leave the city, you will venture with me to the Gap of Untysia. I will tell you more when we get there.

Three days pass quickly, and soon Vesocia finds herself outside of Arosia for the first time in her life. About three hundred yards away from the gate a tall man, smelling slightly of decay joins her. His black designates him a necromancer, this must be the Grand Magus.

“Where are we going, Grand Magus?” asked Vesocia.

“To the Gap.” Uskisia only told what was necessary.

“Why are we going to Untysia?”

“We must find Yeronia.”

After only two days of travel, the odd traveling pair of a necromancer and a pyromancer finally reach the Gap of Untysia. Within the Gap, the legendary sword, Yeronia, is said to lie. With all of the old god Vol’kin’s power stored in it, you could do anything. And more than anything, Uskisia craved power. The sword would finally allow him to bring his plan for world domination into frutation. All he had to do is find the sword.

Unkisia’s thoughts are interrupted by a high, shrill voice.

“Wow! I can’t believe I am finally at the legendary Gap of Untysia, home of Yeronia, and the grave of Illthiss, former emperor of Urusu.” Vesocia said in an awed voice.

“Yes, and with the sword I, I mean we, find here, I can finally get the respect I deserve.” Uskisia said as in a voice that made mad men sound as if they were sane.

That night the group made camp and started a cook fire. “Where are we going to start our search?” The question suddenly occurred to Vesocia.

“Where I say we are.” The cold reply surprised Vesocia. “I believe we are going to start at the south end of the Gap and work our way forward. That way we will never miss any of the entire valley during our search.”

Three days elapse and soon Vesocia and the Grand Magus stumble upon the grave of Illthiss. It is a giant stone vault with intricate carvings covering the entire box. All of the carvings are of Illthiss’ exploits, many bloody battles. Bright red, blue, and yellow flowers surround the tomb and are even growing on top. The top of the vault is twenty feet in the air and ten feet wide. Just looking at the tomb is enough to make it one feel like crying. “At last I have found the great tomb of Illthiss. It has been centuries since I started my search.,” said Uskisia. Now all I need to do is find Yeronia and I will be able to set my plan in motion, thought the Grand Magus.

“I maybe thought I would see the tomb of the famed Illthiss when I became a magus, but I never thought it would be so soon.” said Vesocia. “I believe this is the most magnificent thing that I have ever seen. If I was to see all of the rest of the world, I believe nothing would compare to the amount of joy just looking at the beauty of this building brings me.”

As Vesocia and Uskisia continued on their journey they find a place to camp for the night. Located in a cave, the fire quickly fills the air with smoke. Outside Vesocia saw a beautiful landscape. “I now know that nothing this beautiful should ever be destroyed.” vowed Vesocia.

“Beauty is for the weak, and the weak get no where. Just think of the tomb that we saw earlier today.” Grand Magus Uskisia startled Vesocia with his comment, as she did not know that he was there.

“But he won so many battles and rose to the position of emperor.” said Vesocia.

“True, but is he alive still? No. If he had a spine he would have forced a necromancer to extend his life. Not that necromancers can be forced to do anything, so don’t get any ideas.” threatened Uskisia.

For the next two weeks the pair wondered the Gap in search of Uskisia’s wanting. At the end of the second week, they made camp in a cave.

“I still don’t think that Illthiss was weak,” said Vesocia. “He managed to conquer half the world.”

“Once again, if he was strong he would still be alive.” said Uskisia. And soon he will be alive again, thought Uskisia.

This upset Vesocia greatly, insulting one of her heroes. Vesocia went to bed early that night. Later she got cold and ventured deeper into the cave. As she approached the back of the cave she saw a human like form. “Grand Magus, is that you?” asked Vesocia. “Hello, Grand Magus is that you?”

After no response, Vesocia walked closer and the shape turned to look at her. “You will return to where you came from.” stated the shape.

“By Nysania, who are you?” squeaked Vesocia.

“I am Estolia, Guardian of the Sword.” stated the large elemental. Roots cover the chest of the thing. With fire for arms, rocks for legs, and a head of arcane energy, Estolia floats above the ground.

“You mean, you guard Yeronia? I need Yeronia to help me finish my quest so Grand Magus Uskisia doesn’t get me in trouble with the head of my magical branch.”

“You can never have the sword. Too much power is invested in the sword to let it fall into mortal hands.”

“But if you don’t give it to me then I’ll never become a full Magus.”

“If you want the sword you must go through me.”

“Then by fire be purged!” and with that Vesocia cast her first battle spell. Out of her hand flew a ball of blue flame. A hissing sound was all that Vesocia could her and out of a cloud of steam she saw the huge shape of Estolia flying towards her. Before he got there a black bolt of energy came flying out of nowhere. From around the corner steps the shape of Uskisia.

“Nothing will stop me!” shouted the Grand Magus. “I will destroy the entire world to claim this sword!” Another black bolt of shadow energy struck the elemental.

“Death to all who will attack my kind.” shouted Estolia. With a roar the elemental charged and with a flaming fist he beat Uskisia in the chest and knocked him back into the wall across the room.

“None shall harm the Grand Magus. Fire cleanses all and so shall you be cleansed of your evil deeds. Prepare to die beast!” And with that Vesocia threw a ball of fire as big a horse hit the elemental. This time, the smell of scorched rock filled the air and all that was left of Estolia was a chunk of charcoal.

“Grand Magus Uskisia! Are you okay?” asked Vesocia.

“I am fine. You shall help me up and we will venture deeper into the cave.” said Uskisia.

“How did you know I was in trouble?”

“As a necromancer, I can sense when things are going to die.”

As they venture deeper into the cave, the air begins to fill with magical energy. Eventually the end of the cave approaches and sitting with in a stone is a sword. The sword
was beautiful, with the hilt covered in shining gold. A giant ruby sat in its pommel. The blade was the most wondrous part. It was shaped like an hourglass. Blue, glowing runes ran up and down the sword. They said:

Tulipalo, Jää, Iuonto, Varjo, ja Vaikeaselkoinen.
As they approached the pair ran into a shield.

”Can you read what this says, Grand Magus.” asked Vesocia.

”Fire, Ice, Nature, Shadow, and Arcane. Yes I can read it.” said Uskisia. As he said that he cast a spell of all the schools. When he was finished, the shield dropped and the Grand Magus rushed forward. ”Finally, I have waited years for this. Now that I have Yeronia nothing can stop me!”

”Are you not going to tell Grand Magus Adilia?” asked Vesocia.

”I won’t need to.” stated the Grand Magus. As he spoke he cast a spell. As soon as he was done Vesocia felt weaker.

”What did... you do?” she whispered horsly. As soon as she was done speak, she felt as if she had aged ten years.

”Every ounce of energy you spend will cause you to age one year. If you try to leave you will crumble into dust!” cackled Uskisia.

”I thought we were partners. You have betrayed my trust, I will expose you for who you are!” Vesocia whispered hoarsly.

Vesocia sat in the cave, slowly losing her life as each passing moment used energy to keep her heart beating. I must try to escape. I will die here if I don’t, she thought. And with that she brought the teleportation spell to mind and cast it.

Uskisia couldn’t belive it. He finally had Yeronia. With this sword he would be able to do anything. ”Finally I can do anything. Now that my plan has been set in motion nothing can stop me!”

After a quick cast, Uskisia summoned his dark steed. ”Rodicia, come to me.” he stated. After mounting, Uskisia rides to the sight of Illthiss’ grave. ”This truly is one of the greatest things I have ever seen. I will have all my allies buried in tombs like this. Of course I will never need one.” the Grand Magus said to himself. Dismounting, Uskisia removes all of the shadow essence he brought with him and ready himself for a huge flow of magic.

”Stop!” came a voice from the distance. Riding hard his way was a woman riding on a horse of flames. ”You do not know what you are doing.”

”Grand Magus Andilia, how did you know I was here?” said Uskisia in a regular tone that was amplified by a weave of magic. ”I know that my little helper couldn’t have escaped. I made sure of that.”

A loud bang was heard through out the grand hall as a ragged looking Vesocia appeared in the room. With the necromantic spell still sucking her life force, the last spell had all but killed her. ”Apprentice Vesocia! What has happend to you?” asked a magus wearing purple robes. ”Who did this to you?”
”Uskisia… he cast a… spell. Sucking… life as… speak.” Vesocia’s word could barely be heard. ”Necromancer’s curse… will die… if not… removed.” After that, she blacked out.

”Quickly, get Grand Magus Osollia, he has experience with curses.” stated the mage in purple robes. Another mage went running off to find him.

What was going on? Why where her eyes so tired? Slowly, Vesocia opened her eyes. Standing over her was a large man in green robes. ”Novice, how do you feel?”

It took a moment for Vescocia to realize that she was the one that was being talked too. ”I don’t know. All I know is that I blacked out after teleporting here. Grand Magus Uskisia put a curse on me.” Suddenly Vesocia realized that she no longer felt the effects of the curse on her. ”The curse! How did you get rid of it?” asked Vesocia.

”First allow me to introduce my self. I am Grand Magus Osollia, leader of the world’s druids.” At this Vesocia was shocked, so shocked in fact that she tried to interrupt the Grand Magus. ”I am sorry Grand Magus, I did not recognize who. Please forgive me. Inflict whatever punishment you deem fair.” Vesocia stammered.

”You are fine. The amount of magic that was used on you was enormous. The only way to remove the curse was to have every druid in all of the city to cast the spell needed to remove Uskisia’s curse.” Osollia talked about the curse as if it were nothing more than a fly buzzing around his head. ”Now, you have to tell us what former magus Uskisia is doing.”

”All I know is that he has found Yeronia and thinks that he can now take over the world.” said Vesocia ”While we were in the Gap, we visted the tomb of Illthiss. He seemed very interested in that, Grand Magus.” after she said this, Vesocia waited for the feeling of her life being drained, but it was gone, like Osollia had said.

”I now have an idea about what is going on.” said the Grand Magus. ”Apprentice, you are to not leave the grounds until I or Grand Magus Andilia say that it is ok for you to do so.” And with that Grand Magus Osollia walked out of the room.

”I did not need Apprentice Vesocia to tell me that you were up to something. When you took a fire apprentice and not an apprentice necromancer, I knew something was wrong,” said Grand Magus Andilia, ”So what are you going to do here, Uskisia?”

”I am about to release the ultimate in all that has existed, is existing, or will exist. I will raise Illthiss!” Uskisia cackled in a voice that only a mad man could produce.

With Yeronia raised above his head, Uskisia, made insane by the amount of magic that raised above his head, Uskisia, made insane by the amount of magic that Yeronia provide, screamed, ”Voimalla varjo, nousee kuninkaaksi!”

The ground shook as an earthquake rumbled. The tomb of Illthiss, butcher of many, creator of the Urusian nation, shattered. Out of the rubble stepped a body. It looked human in many ways, yet was not. Covered in black plate armor, carrying a sword that’s very name inspired terror, came Illthiss.

Illthiss was a mass of rotting flesh. Where he stepped, the ground turned black, everything that was living, died. A putrid odor came from him, you could see it coming like steam from the skull covered plate that he wore. But the most terrifying feature of Illthiss was not his odor, or the fact that he was had risen as the revent to stalk the world in over ten thousand years. It was his eyes. They were black, blacker than the darkest night, blacker than any color that is possibly imaginable. Streaks of darkness trailed them. And within that black, there was a speck. This speck made you realize what he was, it was red speck that named him the immortal, Revent King.

Chapter 3

“What have you done?” screamed Grand Magus Andilia. “What kind of monster have you created?

“This… This is the one thing that I have been waiting for. With the Revent King as my servant, I shall control the world!” Uskisia cackled loudly. “And for my first move, Illthiss destroy the Grand Magus.” a mocking tone entered his voice, “And make sure that there’s no mess.”

“Yes my master.” said Illthiss, his voice a cold hiss eminating from jaw that squeaked when it moved.

“I shall not die!” screamed Andilia. Out of her hand came a ball of pure, blue fire coming towards the walking dead. All Illthiss did was raise his shield. The fire ball hit it dead on, but all it did was hiss and dissipear.

“You think that fire will destroy me. Nothing can, for I, humble Illthiss, have been resurrected and given a chance once again to conquer. Only this time it shall be for my new nation, a nation not of the living,” he said his voice dropping lower, “but of the dead.” With that, he raised his sword, four feet of jagged, black steel; a human skull ending the hilt; and within the blade it self was the words Valmistaudu Kuolemaan. Prepare to die.

For miles bright flashes of fire could be seen. It was as if someone was attempting to kill a fire mage. And indeed they were. Illthiss took his time, toying with the Grand Magus.

“Is that all you can do? Keep throwing you pathetic fire. In my time, Grand Magus could throw fire the size of mountains.” taunted Illthiss. “You are a weakling. Pathetic, a disgrace to all mages everywhere.”
This went on for half of an hour. Finally, Andilia collapsed. “Now… I die.” And with that Illthiss raised his black sword, and drove it deep into Andilia’s heart. A gasp escaped her throat, then she was still.

“I praise you, my subject,” said Uskisia, “you caused much pain and suffering. I applaud that. Now we shall move to minor villages, in which we shall inspire terror and soon we shall march on Arosia. Then, the world!”

Out of nowhere, Uskisia heared a voice behind him say, “No we won’t. I will.” Illthiss drove his sword deep into Uskisia. As his life left him, he said, “We were supposed to rule together.”

Finally, thought Illthiss, I can claim my rightful throne as ruler of the living and the dead. The damned shall obey, as they cannot think of anything else, but the living, that will take work. But with fear, anything is possible.
Illthiss walked up to Uskisia’s corpse. His sword, the sword of a living man, he shattered. With his now free hand, he reached down and claimed Yeronia as his own. Then with the power that was once a god, he cast a spell. As he spoke the bodies of Andilia and Uskisia began to stir. Soon, they were on their feet.
“Master, in life we fought you, but in death we shall serve.” they whispered in unison, “We will always obey. We shall be your living weapon. Dead in life, raised to serve the one, the only, Revent King.”
A pall of sadness surrounded the Hall of Flame. Grand Magus Andilia’s ball, the thing that let every living being know that she was alive, was extinguished. Now all they were waiting for a body for which last rites could be delivered to.
Vesocia was struck with the horror of the situation of the death of Grand Magus Andilia, coinciding with the death of former Grand Magus Uskisia and the finding of Yeronia. Could Uskisia have gone mad and killed both she thought. As she was walking down the hall, all she could think about was who was going she going to cast her vote for when it came to the next Grand Magus of the Flame. Who was she going to vote for magus Tanillia or magus Atnyia? She felt that Tanillia was the stronger motivator and was willing to do anything to help the fire mages. On the other hand, Atnyia could talk her way into anything, and had prevented wars from starting before, and will again.
“Apprentice Vesocia, you seem deep in thought. On what topic I wonder.” A voice interrupted her thought. It was Grand Magus Osollia.

“I am sorry Grand Magus. I did not see you.” said Vesocia, while bowing. “I was thinking on who to vote for as new Grand Magus of the Flame.”

“I have been thinking on the same topic as of late, as I represent all of the druids on my vote. Do you know who are going to vote for?” said Osollia.

“I do not know. As of now, I am voting for magus Tanillia, but I could go either way. Also, with the passing of Grand Magus Andilia, you are the only one who can let me leave the palace. When my I leave?” asked Vesocia.

“I have been pleased with the progress of you recovery. You may leave after the election of the new Grand Magus of the Flame.” said Osollia.

“Thank you so much, Grand Magus!” exclaimed Vesocia.

“Now, I have a meeting to get to.” And with that, the Grand Magus dismissed her.

Even though he hated the idea of wearing anything but his armor, Illthiss knew that the only way he could get into Arosia was to wear mortal clothes. At one of the villages that he had razed and raised on his way here, he took a mortal outfit to wear.

Now only a mile outside of Arosia he was organizing his army of revents, created while he demolished villages on his way here. All of them were wearing mortal clothing, and now, so was he. Slowly, him and his army dispersed in to the city, and soon, every member of his small army was in.

“Now, let the voting begin!” boomed the voices of the Grand Magus in unison. Every fire mage in the whole palace got in a line a waited for their chance to cast a vote. In a special line was the Grand Magi. Starting with Grand Magus Hanacia and ending with Grand Magus Garulia, the line stretched nowhere near as far as the other. With fire mages on the right and the Grand Magi in the middle, a line of necromancers extended from another voting both on the left side of the room – they were there to elect a new Grand Magus, too. After everyone finished voting, they all took their seats. The Grand Magi took their seats at the front of the room. In front of them was the result. On the right side of the room was magi Tanillia and Atnyia, the candidate for Grand Magus of the Flame. On the left, magus Skelesia and Ghalia stood waiting to see who won their election.

“Now that all the votes have been cast, we are ready to see who will join me and the other Grand Magi on the High Council.” said Grand Magus Hanacia. “The new Grand Magus of the Flame is…”

A scream comes from the back row as the person sitting next to him rips off his outfit and rips out his heart. The revent attack had begun. As soon as the mage dies, he rises. Only this time, as a revent.

“All shall serve the Revent King! All hail Illthiss!” shouted the risen mage.

“Die, b****.” said Grand Magus Garulia. The newly risen revent froze, then shattered. But it was to late. The original revent was already tearing through the back row, all that are killed rise as revents. Soon the majority of the room was filled with revents. The remaining magi and the Grand Magi are left to fight for their life.

After only one minute of fighting, all that was left was the Grand Magi. Before they were overwhelmed, they all teleported out of the room and away to the one place that they knew they were safe. With them was Grand Magus Tanillia, as she had won the election, and Grand Magus Skelesia, who had lost the election, but the other candidate had died.

Far away from the battle was Illthiss. He craved to enter, but knew that as soon as he entered the city, he would draw the High Council like a magnet. No one, not even he could stand up to the entire High Council. So he waited, knowing that he would get his chance.

Perched high above the city was the chamber of the High Council. The walls were painted with the creation of Athelia, the windows were stained glass, depicting the exploits of the former Grand Magi. The Council had taken their seats in the seats that surround a center. On the platform at the center of the room stood Tanillia and Skelesia. “Being the only living canidates, you both shall be raised to the rank of Grand Magus as soon as there is time as of now, we must decide what to do in this battle against the revent.

Below them a battle raged, flashes of light and magic, bursts of fire and frost, black bolts of death and purple and blue bolts of arcane magic all flew at revents. Slow though, the mages of the city are forced back.

“We must force them back, and the only way to do that is through sheer force.” The voice of Grand Magus Garulia.

“The Revent King is just a legend. This is only a spell that has gone wrong.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.